Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
User avatar
burningviolin
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:50 am
Location: Ireland.

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by burningviolin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 am

Woah, Tommylen I'm shocked :shock: (note the smilie! :) )Dublin is definitely not in the UK, but then to us in the very south of Ireland its not even the real capital, but thats getting into quasi political territory, inappropriate for this thread or indeed any. Dublin has been covered but Cork or Killarney or Kilkenny or Limerick hasn't, thats generally south but perhaps not in the south of Europe. Spain it is me thinks thought Jarkko says "Mediterranean" countries in a post in another forum.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
User avatar
hydriot
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 3:07 am
Location: back in the UK

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by hydriot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm

tommylen wrote: Your argument doesn't fit reality. Have you ever heard of the Soviet Union? Do you believe that Hungary and Poland were not countries- as you define one-because they were under Soviet rule? What did their nationals say when they were labled Soviet citizens ? (I never heard the Soviet Union called a country.)
I've given you the dictionary definition of a country. If you wish to misuse our language that, I suppose, is your right.

The Warsaw Pact countries were never under direct Soviet rule. They were satellites, not possessions. The Soviet Union had to invade Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968 to force its rule on two of its most recalcitrant satellites. The little-lamented Ceaucescu was even more independent of the Soviet Union. All the Central and Eastern European states were and are countries.

Of course the Soviet Union was a country, exactly as the Commonwealth of Independent States is not. Why? Because the former had its own government and the latter does not.
If you watch the football word cup you will realise that Wales Scotland Northern Ireland and
England are independently represented.

Thats because they are separate countries.
No. It is because they are separate nations.

Here's a useful rule of thumb to help you distinguish a nation from a country. If when you cross a border you need to be carrying your passport, then it's a country. Otherwise it's probably a nation. So, the Sioux are a nation, but the United States where they reside is a country.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
User avatar
Laura
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:23 am
Location: Bucharest

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Laura » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Hydriot! What does Ceausescu have to do with your argument? I must point out that Romania may have been under some kind of political influence from the Soviet Union (don't get me into politics, I'm a mess on that topic), but we were never part of it!!! Or ever labeled as Soviet citizens. I think the discussions was only about the countries that were part of the Soviet Union-and which now have become independent countries. I only wanted to make clear Romania was not one of them (yeak!).

Another little objection... I don't know if the "passport" rule applies lately. I'm still rather annoyed that this summer I never found out when I crossed the border between Belgium and Holland (I was in the train); and no one checked my passport around there. Even though I suspect Belgium and Holland are independent countries...

Laura
tommylen
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by tommylen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:28 pm

Aye right Hydriot. (Stickies with double confusion re your answer)
I cant do the stickies Hydriot.

I dont know why but you seem determind to keep digging.(Very large smile sticky) Maybe its your sense of humour hydriot?

You clearly have a problem acknowledging when you are on a loser.(Sticky with a smile)

Given your response I conclude that Spain and France are not countries .The same probably applies to another 20 plus European countries.

Not long ago I crossed from France into Spain and back again without a border check.(Confused Sticky)

But then again if they are not countries ?(Sticky smile) Ahh I see.

Have you ever travelled in Europe hydriot?
(Several confused stickies)

Please read these references before you reach Australia. (Wink Stickies)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7153490.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

(Several very sleepy stickies).

Pass the valium please darling. (Now on holiday for some time stickies)

"Hurry please before I comment on the Soviet Union".(Lots of stickies all on top of one another)
"Dont go there" I hear her shout.(Very amused stickies)

As i check my sanity I realise that I am in a country within the U.K.
User avatar
Womanfromaroom
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Womanfromaroom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, Hydriot is right in so far as you can very well have a nation without a country; the other way round, however, having a country without at least one nation inhabiting it, is quite a revolutionary concept! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
tommylen
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by tommylen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Lets recap.

Hydriot stated with authority

"Sorry to be an even bigger bore, EvieB, but the UK is a single country consisting of four nations."

I pointed out that there are four countries in the U.K and I detailed the constitutional legislation leading to the formation of the U.K.(Smile sticky)

Hydriot was clearly mistaken in his belief.After all the legislation unambiguously states that the UK consists of FOUR countries.(Wink sticky)
Please remember that I am giving you objective facts.(Sincere stickies)

Hydriot embarked on a tangent "fog tour" that included the Sioux Indians of all people(Smilie stickies). He stated that

"If when you cross a border you need to be carrying your passport, then it's a country."(Is Hydriot joking stickies?)

I pointed out that travelling in European countries doesnt equate with his reasoning.(Jumbled stickies).Just a matter of fact.
I assume that these countries in Europe are real places?(Vallium stickers)

Hydriot is simply wrong but if he doesnt appreciate that then he is in trouble.(Sigh stickies)

But if he wishes to dig still further !!!!!
Evie B
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: Cambridge, England

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Evie B » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Sorry for any toes I trod on in my posts on this string, to prove I am not always a troublemaker I have posted the picture taken by my daughter and the story of how we were so incredibly fortunate to meet him the following morning after the 18 November concert at the RAH, it is under that string. It took me a while to work out how to reduce its size (Womanfromaroom - I managed to do it on MS Picture Manager - blushingly easy when you know how!).
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
User avatar
hydriot
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 3:07 am
Location: back in the UK

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by hydriot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 pm

Laura wrote:Hydriot! What does Ceausescu have to do with your argument? I must point out that Romania may have been under some kind of political influence from the Soviet Union (don't get me into politics, I'm a mess on that topic), but we were never part of it!!! Or ever labeled as Soviet citizens.
It was tommylen who claimed the peoples of the satellite countries were Soviet citizens, not me. He wrote:
tommylen wrote:Do you believe that Hungary and Poland were not countries- as you define one-because they were under Soviet rule?
What did their nationals say when they were labled Soviet citizens ?
Of course, you were never a Soviet citizen, any more than my Polish friends.
Laura wrote:Another little objection... I don't know if the "passport" rule applies lately. I'm still rather annoyed that this summer I never found out when I crossed the border between Belgium and Holland (I was in the train); and no one checked my passport around there. Even though I suspect Belgium and Holland are independent countries...Laura
Belgium and the Netherlands are signatories to the Schengen Agreement, designed to make cross-border travel within the continental EU easier. Although there are no formal border checks between these countries, it is still a technical requirement to carry your passport with you when you cross the border... which is why I phrased my passport rule-of-thumb rather carefully.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Evie B
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: Cambridge, England

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Evie B » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 am

Just wanted you to look at my photo really, it is a very smiley one. :D
Could be, right or wrong, everyone will just have to agree to differ in the interests of world peace.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
User avatar
Kristin1980uk
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:37 pm
Location: Newmarket, Suffolk, England

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Kristin1980uk » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Yippee

Yes he is...

He is going to be in England...

Tue 14/07/09
20:00 Leonard Cohen
Liverpool Echo Arena

Sun 26/07/09
20:00 Leonard Cohen
Odyssey Arena Find Tickets

These are all the dates I know at present time.
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose, everybody knows
Melvyn
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:55 pm

Re: Leonard back in the UK this summer?

Post by Melvyn » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 am

Kristin1980uk wrote:Yippee Yes he is... He is going to be in England...
Tue 14/07/09
20:00 Leonard Cohen
Liverpool Echo Arena

Sun 26/07/09
20:00 Leonard Cohen
Odyssey Arena Find Tickets

These are all the dates I know at present time.
You're way out of date - best to keep track here -

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14156

Melvyn.
Post Reply

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”