nigel kennedy's polish adventure

The Krakow Event - before and after
liverpoolken

nigel kennedy's polish adventure

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 am

another little taster of krakow for those heading out there in august and who have access to the bbc iplayer

the bbc's arts programme 'imagine' started a new series the other night with the documentary 'nigel kennedy's polish adventure'.....a film crew follow the engish violinist nigel kennedy around his adopted city of krakow visiting places in and around the city ending up at the london queen elizabeth hall with kennedy hosting his south bank polish festival......

.....along the way we have nigel walking around krakow bemoaning the KFCs and McDonalds that have recently sprouted up all over town..a visit to Muniaka jazz club...a short history of the polish jazz scene...glimpses of the jewish cemetery and a short history of the kazimierz area plus performances of the brilliant klezmer band kroke....well worth a looky see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Adventure/
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
MaryB

Re: nigel kennedy's polish adventure

Post by MaryB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:00 am

Ken,
Ostracized again - not available in the US - only available in the UK. And I was looking forward to viewing this based on your description.
Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
margaret

Post by margaret » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:24 pm

When I visited Krakow last year I went to the salt mines and, if I recall correctly, was informed that Nigel Kennedy was one of the artists who played a concert down there in the amazing underground "cathedral" carved out of the salt. It would be quite something if Leonard and his band were able to perform there. Unlikely, I know! Not to mention the difficulties getting everyone down there and out again!

Margaret
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Yes, he is great.
If You are lucky, You meet him in Krakow - he lives on Florianska Street, close to Main Square.
He often plays in Muzyczna Owczarnia club http://www.muzycznaowczarnia.pl/ in Jaworki - if You plan trip to the mountains, think about this direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHeOob5IW8
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Pawel,
Thank you for the link (I should have thought of youtube myself :oops: ). Your link led me to the further exploration of the music of Nigel Kennedy. He is absolutely amazing! The preponderance of my music listening and purchases is LC, but the artistry of this man is the first in a very long time that makes me want to hear more and more. Can anyone recommend titles to purchase?
Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Inne

Post by Inne » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 am

Hi Mary,
You could start with Vivaldi's Four Seasons. It's a little bit 'over-played', but Nigel's rendition is very unconventional,
very passionate too. I have the recording with The English Chambre Orchestra, one of his first, but still available I think.
I can also recommend Inner Thoughts, a very beautiful collection of the quiet movements (andantes/adagios)
of some violin concertos, such as Bruch's first (my favourite).
I like this one too : The Doors Concerto, an adaptation of Riders on the Storm and other Jim Morisson classics.
inne
Silence
and a deeper silence
when the crickets
hesitate
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:30 am

Yes, the "Doors Concerto" is absolutely amazing, the whole CD is brilliant...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ewWNNROWlU

There is also a very nice version of "The Lark Ascending" by him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1w4N-NL_Bw (only the first part, but there is a link to the second part, too)

And, finally, some very fine Klezmer - Nigel Kennedy and Kroke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdGaP-e600
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:04 am

Right, You mentioned 3 albums I have and I may recommend:

Vivaldi. The Four Seasons – Nigel Kennedy & English Chamber Orchestra (1989)
Riders on the Storm: The Doors Concerto – Kennedy & Jaz Coleman (2000) (yeah, Jaz Coleman from Killing Joke)
East Meets East – Nigel Kennedy and the Kroke Band (2003)

There are also many 'classical' albums, but if You prefer his 'alternative' style, think about it:
The Kennedy Experience. Inspired by the Music of Jimi Hendrix (1999)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOLkRlbVYcI
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:40 am

Inne, Ann, and Pawel,
My apologies for not responding sooner, but I have been taking time to savor my choice of purchase. Because of my Eastern European nationality I naturally gravitated toward 'East Meets East'. Kennedy and Kroke - what a perfect marriage and an absolutely scrumptious assault on my sense of hearing.
Your valuable input will now be used to make additional purchases of Nigel Kennedy's achingly beautiful music. Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query and to Ken for bringing him to my attention in the first place.
Warmest regards,
Mary

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Krakow 2010”