CONCERT REPORTS: Ottawa, Ontario, May 25 and 26

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mollydog

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Ottawa, Ontario May 25th and 26th

Post by Mollydog »

It wasn't my intention to draw attention away from what was a truly wonderful concert, so I'll close the book on this one for now. :D
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

When a whole audience breaks into singing at a show, spontaneously, it can be a wonderful thing - IMO. :D As is when all rise to their feet in a spontaneous standing ovation - clapping and cheering.

It just occurred to me - I'll betcha the"no camera" policy is strictly enforced at the NAC! I am hoping that someone was able to defy and deceive the camera Nazis and that we will see some good video posted on YouTube or elsewhere. :lol: I'm a "live performance" kind of person. I appreciate the studio recordings - but I love live performances. Second to being there is watching the raw video of live performances - where you can still feel the connection of the heart and soul of the performers - before the sound is cleansed - made "more presentable and appealing" - more "politically correct."
Emeraude

Post by Emeraude »

Hi everyone. I suppose I'm fairly new. I registered a few years ago under another name but couldn't remember my password. I just wanted to say that I was at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa last night for the sold out evening with Leonard Cohen. I'm still walking on air. It was wonderful. And I feel so fortunate to have been a part of what turned out to be a magical evening indeed.

I had tried to get tickets earlier on but no such luck. Then CBC Radio ran a contest and I religiously entered every day hoping to win. No luck there either. Then for the past two weeks I went to the NAC site a couple of times a day and lo and behold there were single tickets available. I bought one immediately. It was worth every dime that I paid just to have sat in the audience and listen to Mr. Cohen recite from memory A Thousand Kisses Deep. Could it get any better than this?

I enjoyed his band and back-up singers - they are without a doubt amazingly talented entertainers in their own right. And it is as if Mr. Cohen enjoyed showing them off. I enjoyed his singing his songs but just the recital would have been enough for me.

This is a very nice site and I hope to meet like-minded LC fans and discuss his poetry and prose.

Emeraude (aka Suzanne)
You're in my blood like holy wine... J. Mitchell
cohenfreek

Post by cohenfreek »

bridger15 wrote:
Mollydog wrote:I'm not one to sing along, but at all the concerts I had been to before last night pretty well everyone sang along to the chorus of So Long Marianne. Last night I started singing and then looked around me to find not one other person was singing.

So, fellow Ottawa concert goers. Let's have a bit more action tonight!
I think it is an issue of personal differences and culture. I am not a "sing along" concert goer. It's not in my culture. I attend his concerts to focus on the Maestro and his marvellous troupe. I become entranced, perhaps I am IN A TRANCE as I am sure others are too. The only encouragement given to the audience to participate is when Raphael raises his sticks and "instructs us" to clap in time. That I always do.

Don't forget that this town is infested with "hard working" government employees and maybe many of them were in attendance (sorry, I love taking a dig at them); but SERIOUSLY, I've always found NAC audiences, on average, to be quite reserved when I've been here before. I love to get up and have a good time and sing to my heart's content, but at least tonight's show (the 26th) was more animated than last night and I was lucky enough to sit beside some lively people ("Closing Time" was a lot of fun tonight), so we had some fun. However, the Kitchener crowd (last year) was quite reserved, also. Nevertheless, I must say that I thought I'd NEVER get the opportunity to see Leonard live on consecutive nights, and I know it's going to take until next week (at least) for me to "come down"---I've never been so physically and/or emotionally drained :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!! Mr. Cohen has proven to me that his triple threat attack of his words, music, and patented "golden voice" is like no other, and he ranks atop my list of favourite performers! Thanks, Leonard (and band), for giving me the best 48-hour stretch I've had in a long time and for all the great memories I'll cherish for a lifetime. :D
This mental space is occupied and everything is mine
London (ON) June 6 1993/Kitchener June 2 2008/Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009/Ottawa December 2012
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Aha! I knew it could be done. Live performance video of Canada's National Treasure - "The Man" - has been smuggled out of the National Arts Centre! :lol: :lol:

Someone who goes by the screen name of "lenavig" has leaked a few clips of songs to YouTube. :D

Here is the link for "If It Be Your Will."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIcrKKIPS40

(Click on "lenavig" to see the others.)
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

sturgess66 wrote:... Denis Armstrong in the Ottawa Sun has Raphael Bernardo Diode playing drums. Who is that? :) ...
Sounds to me like another case of an automatic spelling-check gone horribly wrong :razz:
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
da2008

Post by da2008 »

Both nights were great, but yesterday's crowd was much more animated. Great shows, still goosebumps when LC hits the stage, almost tears when he leaves...

Looks like the end of the road for me now. All I can ask for is another show in Montreal. But maybe I'm just greedy.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

anneporter wrote:If I was there I'd sing with you, Mary. You'll need a few Newfoundlanders to rant and roar. Have fun!
Pardon my off-topic question, I've always wanted to ask: Are you guys really half an hour off the rest of the world?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
aliross

Post by aliross »

Ottawa May 26, 2009

What an evening!!!!

We saw LC in Hamilton June 3, 2008 and it was a night to remember...but then forward to May 26, 2009 and there we were in the NAC second row. What a show.

I was thrilled to finally hear Lullaby and it was wonderful, the band with Leonard had evolved so beautifully. Leonard himself was full of gratitude, humility, grace and appreciation for all around him. He sang a beautiful 2 sets and several encores. There were wonderful instrumental solos by all his musicians, what an opportunity to experience & enjoy their very diverse & incredible talent.

Sharon Robinson shone bright and it was breathtaking to watch her and Leonard sing together.
So many high points of this evening, we floated on air all the way home.

We met up with a few forum members at the show.

I had brought some fragrant lily of the valley from our garden in the country and we threw the bouquet onstage just as he was taking a bow. He saw them, picked them up, smiled with delight and drew them to his face to inhale the aroma of them and danced offstage!! We saw him backstage enjoying their fragrance! My bow to Leonard Cohen.

Leonard finished the concert and bid adieu in the most lovely heartfelt way, with such grace.
We didn't want to leave but alas, it was time and so the evening ended and we will find ourselves remembering this evening for a long long time.

Ali Ross
Hamilton June 2008 / Ottawa May 2009.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

aliross wrote:I had brought some fragrant lily of the valley from our garden in the country and we threw the bouquet onstage just as he was taking a bow. He saw them, picked them up, smiled with delight and drew them to his face to inhale the aroma of them and danced offstage!! We saw him backstage enjoying their fragrance! My bow to Leonard Cohen.
So that was you? Wonderful!! I was wondering before the show why nobody ever brings him flowers and then saw your bouquet of lily of the valley. It was really nice of you, Ali!!
asta

Post by asta »

Allross: Were The Webb Sisters singing with Leonard too ?
cohenfreek

Post by cohenfreek »

aliross wrote:Ottawa May 26, 2009

I was thrilled to finally hear Lullaby and it was wonderful, the band with Leonard had evolved so beautifully.
Ali Ross
Lullaby was not played; they played the same set both nights. I was really hoping the band would pull out a surprise for us during the encores last night, and "Lullaby" would have been nice!
This mental space is occupied and everything is mine
London (ON) June 6 1993/Kitchener June 2 2008/Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009/Ottawa December 2012
aliross

Post by aliross »

asta wrote:Allross: Were The Webb Sisters singing with Leonard too ?
Yes the sublime" Webb sisters were there, angelic voices, loveliness, cartwheels & all!!

Ali
thermoman

Post by thermoman »

Aha! I knew it could be done. Live performance video of Canada's National Treasure - "The Man" - has been smuggled out of the National Arts Centre! :lol: :lol:
From the upper levels you could see hundreds of "Blackberries" recording throughout the evening. Their illuminated screens were very prominent throughout the performance. Many who did record did so only for a few short moments. I was very impressed with the absence of photo flashes throughout the performance. Many concert goers understand the limits of their cameras and choose to simply enjoy the performance rather than concentrate on the recording and miss the magic of the moment.
aliross

Post by aliross »

asta wrote:aliross wrote:
Ottawa May 26, 2009

I was thrilled to finally hear Lullaby and it was wonderful, the band with Leonard had evolved so beautifully.
Ali Ross

Lullaby was not played; they played the same set both nights. I was really hoping the band would pull out a surprise for us during the encores last night, and "Lullaby" would have been nice!
The set list which was given to us from the stage had Lullaby on it towards the end.
Since I have not heard Lullaby yet, (and why I was looking forward to it so much...) I may have mistaken a piece of music and song they played at that time in the program. Possible different version???...
Whether I heard it or not, or they played it or not, doesn't alter the amazing experience I had at the concert! I am still walking on clouds!

Ali

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”