CONCERT REPORT: Québec, May 21

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Tchocolatl

CONCERT REPORT: Québec, May 21

Post by Tchocolatl »

A-m-a-z-i-n-g!

Even better than in Montréal last year.

I am speechless and I feel like I have to rush here to tell it!

Too much!
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
stfa

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Québec, May 21

Post by stfa »

Review from Quebec City's Le Soleil - (via google translation - My French is not quite good enough to attempt a translation!)

Kathleen Lavoie
The Sun
(Québec) for a moment, time stopped yesterday at the Pavillon de la jeunesse. It was, it must be said, a moment of rare quality: a first visit to Leonard Cohen in the capital in 16 years. It was also a moment of gentle, slow, tenderness and humor. A magic moment with an artist who at 74 years, sparkles always forever youthful.

Although the circumstances of the painful return to the scene of Leonard Cohen? the need? have changed the majority of its fans, they did not miss the appointment by Montreal, one of the most contemporary poets celebrated the English-speaking world. They were all there yesterday, so feverish and inflamed in the days of March when all 4300 tickets for the show took off.

The widespread sense of admiration, to the nobility of this return, has quickly given way to something else yesterday, the sincere pleasure of seeing a true legend, more vibrant and relevant than ever, to life before our eyes in a directory d an infinite wealth.

At the preliminary stage, the voice of immense Cohen took the whole place. Assured, serious, responsible. A voice as he is little. A voice as there is only one.

The emotion was the

The mischievous eyes, half veiled under the rim of his borsalino, the suave and déhancher expert on the slow tempo waltzes that made his fame, Leonard Cohen gave a recital of remarkable generosity? thirty titles?, where all the most popular works have found their place.

Dance With Me to the End of Love and The Future, delivered every two early in the program, a Leonard Cohen intense, crouching at the foot of the wonderful guitarist Javier Mas (mandolin, lute, guitar), already announced its colors. The emotion is there. And it was poignant, in Famous Blue Raincoat, Suzanne, Chelsea Hotel # 2 and In My Secret Life, performed in duet with collaborator Sharon Robinson.

The eyes often closed, or riveted to those of one or other of its 10 wonderful musicians, microphone in one hand and the wire wrapped around each other, Cohen was simply transcendent, from beginning to the end of the evening.

Between the artist and his audience, the emotion was also shared, as when the first took over The Partisan, which has three stanzas in french, one of the most applauded.

The poet

And then there was the surprise, the arrangements reviewed and corrected, especially in the monumental Everybody Knows, more rhythmic and disturbing, and the equally loved So Long, Marianne, who took airs Thursday serenade under the virtuoso Javier Mas.

But where Leonard Cohen will be truly able to suspend time is when it allowed another of its jewels, A Thousand Kisses Deep, to resume its original poem. Spoken on a minimal accompaniment, the words of the artist will be affected more than anything. More than its very sad recent history.

In the end, music will have won. Leonard Cohen too. The public, it will be returned filled with the sound of a final air, which was directly addressed. "A long time ago that I love you, I will never forget ..." praised the artist before disappearing backstage.

Here is the link:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... %26hl%3Den
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
stfa

Post by stfa »

Here is another Google translation this time from the Journal De Quebec: ( I must say the translator produces some interesting effects - I love the phrase - "the voice substantive ashtray" - worthy of the master himself! :lol:

LIVE IN QUEBEC
PIERRE O. NADEAU
21/05/2009 22h57

Leornard Cohen appeared larger than life within the walls of Quebec charged with emotion.

Welcomed as a living legend, Leonard Cophen won a resounding victory, Thursday, during an evening to say the least captivating. If McCartney's show was the event of the year 2008, the provision of Cohen says that the 2009 event!

Preceded by his musicians, he had not yet appeared in the legendary scene character triggers an ovation in the first flag of Youth full to overflowing. Soon appeared in the spotlight, Cohen has undertaken an exercise in charm - even magnetism - which increased in intensity throughout this "mass" of nearly three hours.

At its third visit to us after 16 years, Cohen, 74, never appeared so beautiful to see and hear. Forget the old image of the voice substantive ashtray. Cohen is resplendent in its approach as intense as generous. Very elegant with his hat and his full dark, the Montrealer originally appeared in a glittering with that voice remains unique.

Eyes closed, remarkably solid supported by six musicians and three singers, Cohen takes us on a fascinating journey in which we revisit its rich repertoire enhanced by some new and subtle arrangements.

"Let me dance till the end of love," says the artist presented, of course, Dance Me to the End of Love in a thunderous applause. He went with Bird on a Wire, which takes new colors gospel, then Everybody Knows supported by a slight disco bass. The tempo of I'm Your Man has been slowed, and Cohen found his guitar in some parts as Sisters of Mercy.

Surprise

In this environment, of course, stripped, all the emotion takes place Thursday at the option of brilliant musicians, veterans of the era of the Chelsea Hotel, led by guitarist Javier Mas, with his playing flamenco, which provides warm colors directory Cohen.

On each side of the stage, two large screens watching the movements of Cohen's hot much more than in the past.

The second part series of other highlights starting with the interpretation of Suzanne solo, followed by others as inevitable Hallelujah, which will again cross the big thrill in a room charged with emotion. Unfortunately, this appointment with the legend will be next. Nothing is planned yet.
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Surrealist translation, indeed!

Unfortunately, my schedule does not allow me to help with this right now, sorry.

The French articles are on my blog if someone wants to read the gorgeous original versions.

What a show!! :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

Just back from Quebec City. The Lady and I decided to extend our trip in this beautiful city for an additional day. Too many good restaurants in Quebec to stay just two days. We finally met with Darling/Gaglou/Loulou and her friends before the concert and at the intermission. Lovely ladies. Here is the setlist: Darling please feel free to correct me if I forgot something.

First Set
1. Dance Me to the End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure For Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
9. Waiting For The Miracle
10. Anthem

Second Set
11. Tower of Song
12. Suzanne
13. Sisters of Mercy
14. The Partisan
15. Boogie Street
16. Hallelujah
17. I'm Your Man
18. A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
19. Take This Waltz

First Encore
20. So Long, Marianne
21. First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore
22. Famous Blue Raincoat
23. If It Be Your Will

Third Encore
24. Closing Time

Fourth Encore
25. I Tried to Leave You
26. Whither Thou Goest

Fantastic show indeed! Leonard and all the band in top shape. This show is now as tight and as precise as an atomic clock. Again the audience was spreading over many age groups and each one of them seemed to appreciate a lot. Leaving after the show, in the parking lot, I saw a very young lady trying to describe her feelings of the show to someone over a cell phone. She was gesticulating so much and was so enthusiastic I'm sure she loved it very very very much. :D
Darling

Post by Darling »

jglBB wrote:We finally met with Darling/Gaglou/Loulou and her friends before the concert and at the intermission. Lovely ladies. :D
:oops: 8) It was very nice to meet you too bébé! :D

Yes, the show was really fantastic, I would not have thought that it was possible to make it even better than last year but it was (although IMHO the small venue in Saguenay was much better and the crowd more festive, grateful and awed Leonard Cohen had come all the way there).

I was a bit worried that the Man's voice might have suffered after all these concerts, some of them outdoors, but on the contrary it was just amazing. And he seemed in such great shape, side stepping and running on and out of the stage, what a man.

The musicians were also fantastic. I was flabbergasted by the superb rendition of The Partisan, so rich and beautiful, for me the highlight of the evening (not only for me, judging from the reaction of the crowd). I had deliberatly refrained from listening to it from previous concerts to stay 'fresh' and I was taken by surprise. Wow.
In the end, music will have won. Leonard Cohen too. The public, it will be returned filled with the sound of a final air, which was directly addressed. "A long time ago that I love you, I will never forget ..." praised the artist before disappearing backstage.
The words are actually 'Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierai'' from 'À la Claire Fontaine' a traditional French song. It means, 'I have loved you for a long time, I will never forget you'. He ended the Montreal show the same way last year.

When the Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson were singing the final Dodadam.. of the Tower Of Song, he said to them something to the effect: ''Don't stop, it's beautiful. Did I ever thank you for singing (being?) with me for all those concerts? I don't know if it's the right time...'' I don't know if he has said something like this in the other concerts, but the angels seemed quite touched by it, or is it my imagination?''
stfa

Post by stfa »

Wow, what a beautiful moment!!! What a great thing to say!!!!
Glad the concert met your expectations - I think you are caught with the same dilemma I had - smaller space (and how could you beat the Dufour Hall in Saguenay!!!!!!) just as it was strange for me to go from 2,000 (and near the front) to 7,000+! Partisan was the best moment in our concert too! I recognized the words of the French song - even if they were mangled by Google translation! Did he speak much in French or English? That was the only wish I could have had for Hamilton! Anyway all the best to you Darling! - It would be great if he finishes all this touring the way he started with a swing back out to Ontario, Quebec and the East coast! Anyway one more for me tomorrow in London!
stfa

Post by stfa »

jglBB wrote:Just back from Quebec City. The Lady and I decided to extend our trip in this beautiful city for an additional day. Too many good restaurants in Quebec to stay just two days. . :D
Just curious - what are some of your favourites? Mine are Toast, Laurie Raphael, and Portofino for pizza!!!
Darling

Post by Darling »

stfa wrote:Did he speak much in French or English?
He made a definite effort to speak French but I would say he spoke more English. What would you say, jglbb?
stfa wrote: It would be great if he finishes all this touring the way he started with a swing back out to Ontario, Quebec and the East coast!
YES, I'm glad to see I am not the only dreamer praying for it! :lol: :lol: Can you imagine the show as it is now, but in those small venues? I think I would die from extasy, but I would be willing to take the chance... :D

I was glad to read that you had a great time in Hamilton, have a great night tomorrow ! Wish I could be there with you...
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

Darling wrote:When the Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson were singing the final Dodadam.. of the Tower Of Song, he said to them something to the effect: ''Don't stop, it's beautiful. Did I ever thank you for singing (being?) with me for all those concerts? I don't know if it's the right time...'' I don't know if he has said something like this in the other concerts, but the angels seemed quite touched by it, or is it my imagination?''
You're right Darling. I noticed that too. Was probably a first In Quebec City. Seemed to create kind of a little shock among the three ladies. This never ending Tour must draw a lot of energy on everybody onboard and Len is upping his gentlemanship to compensate I guess. Can you try to imagine what he will have to do at the very end?

I also agree with you that The Partisan was a absolute masterpiece.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

In Montréal?

A clue : he made a joke in this part of the show.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Post by Darling »

Tchocolatl wrote:In Montréal?

A clue : he made a joke in this part of the show.

:?: :?:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

:?: :?: :?:

Can't remember a thing, Darling? :razz: Don't you recall the final of the song, on the stage? Try a little bit harder.

I don't end the suspens now.

(Maybe somebody else could help you.)

Another clue (from an article around the date of this concert) :
Leonard is a quiet, gracious person; he's generous and contemplative. He always makes you feel that you are as important to him as he is to you. He references Chinese teaching stories, eastern philosophies and Jewish teaching devices to enlighten or inform a conversation. And though everyone thinks he is so serious, he has a fantastic sense of humour. He tells jokes. He cracks me up all the time.
Source :

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 45789.html

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Darling

Post by Darling »

Are you talking about 'À la claire fontaine'?

Actually, the question marks were because I didn't (and still don't) know what your post was about. Was it an answer to jglbb's question about what LC will have to do at the end of the tour?

:?:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Non et non. He seduced Montréal as well, last year with the claire fontaire ''Il y a longtemps que je t'aime, jamais je ne t'oublierai.'' (translation ;-) : ''I heard of a man who says words so beautifully'' ...) sigh. As for the end of the Tour, well, maybe the Tour will never end. We have the right to dream.

I was talking about what he did and said at the end of Tour of Song last year.

Third clue.
When the Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson were singing the final Dodadam.. of the Tower Of Song, he said to them something to the effect: ''Don't stop, it's beautiful.
In Montréal, he began with that too : aaaahhhh don't stop...but he ended the speech differently.

Well, I can't believe that I am the only one who remember this. :D

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”