CONCERT REPORTS: New York, May 16 and 17

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
arteest103

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: New York, May 16 & 17

Post by arteest103 »

I was there Sunday night. Before the end of the show, the man in front of me told me how lucky he felt to be there. And, the guy next to me said, at the end of the show, "What a lovely man."

I am so lucky I got to go and Leonard Cohen is indeed a lovely man. Thank you for a wonderful evening, LC.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sturgess66 wrote:From NYPress.com

WARNING: There is a whole lot of hate spewed in a monsterous comment under this article. The comment should be removed - IMO
"John Doe"'s comments look awfully familiar. In fact, it looks like a straight "cut and paste" of a response to another article a few months back which was attributed to Kelley Lynch. I thought it was the Jewish Chronicle but I can't find it now. I'm sure someone else will know though.

I imagine plagiarism alone should be enough to get NYPress.com to remove the comment?!

Wendy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Extraordinary (almost pro) shot of ANTHEM from May 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnzFmaXZ1o, plus more from the same show: http://www.youtube.com/user/soulindiane
Chema

Post by Chema »

A Spanish review (translated by Google traslator):

Historic Concert Leonard Cohen in New York

Some lynx have long decreed that the poet unable vain, the most humble and cool, the dandy who never transigió with the cowboys, the essential chronicler of sex and its miseries, the only musician capable of joining a Buddhist monastery without sacrificing their neurons, the man who loved women to the grievances of us then lost a bunch of songs explosive disciplicentes, romantic, mocking, incontestable, and no interest to the public.

He came to believe in the intuition of the lapidary ready. He exit. Just over two splendid albums ( 'Ten New Songs' and' Dear Heather ') in a decade. No pisaba scenarios from the tour of 93, when he presented the apocalyptic, bleak and inspired 'The Future'. Now, thanks to a manager who cleared their accounts and reduced to zero the money he had saved for retirement, has returned, but matters very little to explain why so sublime economic miracle if they are offering is a direct as spectacular as the that last Sunday offered at Radio City Hall in New York.

Leonard Cohen, perhaps the greatest poet of the rock era (with permission from Bob Dylan), is 74 years. In the more than three hours to his recital lasted no downtime, stunts designed to disguise the ravages of old age, calculation or imposture. We have forgiven you everything, including a karaoke, so that last viewing, if only for the opportunity to have front and give an applause that always lean and well-deserved recognition it deserves who irrigate our nights with wine and broken hills.

Unable to adjust to some laurels won in advance, Cohen thousand-fold victory. He did not give anything to win. Guts were left on the tables. Showed that the magic is still intact, which I painted hotels cheap jokes intelligent heroines of the song, murderers, clowns, butchers, saints and prostitutes, still very much alive, that the singer of the miracles long deferred, of cider mixed with acid The alleluia of the mattress, girls with orange skin and burned the violins, which the writer of such pieces carnal away, sexy, tender, lucid and sharp as "Tonight will be fine ',' Everybody knows', 'Who by fire ',' The traitor, '' I'm your man ',' Chelsea Hotel ',' So Long, Marianne ',' Bird on Wire, '' If it be your will ',' Lover lover lover ',' Waiting for the miracle ',' In my secret life ',' Take this waltz "or" Boogie Street "is still capable of arrancarte heart.

Did not fall all the songs listed (no, at least, less predictable), but it was enough, and 'The Future', 'Suzanne', 'First we take Manhattan', 'Tower of Song', 'Dance me to the end of love ',' Anthem or Democracy. In all, backed by a group that functions as a metronome, uncorking elegance, passion, surrender unthinkable for a cuasioctogenario, a voice that at times recalled the days of splendor in the grass, private jokes, dance moves and style to deal with us and there, kneeling, happily drinking the hard drug of some verses glossy, hallucinations, beautiful, floating on the spikes of the night to announce that, if health permits, and he is in top form, there is time to Cohen .

Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Antony, Enrique Morente, U2, Nick Cave, Suzanne Vega, REM, Bob Dylan, Jarvis Cocker, the Pixies, John Cale, Willie Nelson, Peter Gabriel, Teddy Thompson and a thousand other artists who have surrendered pleitesía for years are not wrong: glorious, even if the volume rate below that required a concert (not the sound quality, flawless). Does the best news? That when you finish this long, sublime tour, announcing that it would revert to the studio, recorded that, finally, new songs. Cohen, finally, is still the man, the name framing, the best commander of the misty moors of memory and the theater of the soul.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Tom Sakic wrote:Extraordinary (almost pro) shot of ANTHEM from May 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnzFmaXZ1o, plus more from the same show: http://www.youtube.com/user/soulindiane
Haha! I encouraged "soulindiane" to go to the NYC concert - and I told her she would thank me. And she did just that (thank me). Her comments were "one of the best concerts ever" and "in a word - exquisite." I am so glad for her that she went - and for us - we now have more good fan video. Every show may be somewhat the same - but every show is quite different!
:)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:From NYPress.com

WARNING: There is a whole lot of hate spewed in a monsterous comment under this article. The comment should be removed - IMO
"John Doe"'s comments look awfully familiar. In fact, it looks like a straight "cut and paste" of a response to another article a few months back which was attributed to Kelley Lynch. I thought it was the Jewish Chronicle but I can't find it now. I'm sure someone else will know though.

I imagine plagiarism alone should be enough to get NYPress.com to remove the comment?!

Wendy
I sent e-mails to two addresses I found under "Contact" - and received a response from one, thanking me, and saying they would remove "if we deem it necessary." Hey - that's no comment - it's a cheap and lousy novel (spam)! I hope they do remove it, but a lot of sites are just interested in "hits" - any way they can get 'em.

(Make that "monstrous" - above. :lol: )
Last edited by sturgess66 on Tue May 19, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Violet,

After reading the mean-spirited review by Iman something or other, your post made me right again. Thank you so much for allowing me to enter your world.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sharong

Post by sharong »

First, ill take Manhattan and then Ill take Boston......

first off, the writer of the NY press Article didnt stay for the second half of the show or maybe didnt show at all.... Maybe he just watched the Live in London DVD because LC didnt do Gypsy Wife in NYC..... the setlists were the same as Philly..

I was in the center orchestra on Saturday and missed the Bette and Pierce and Martha Stewart but I was right behind Teddy Thompson who watched LC play very carefully. Radio City is huge But LC made it as intimate as a night club.... The tight band, backing vocals were stunning.... I went to the meet and greet but didnt meet or greet because I found out I had the winning ticket to the Preakness so i went to cash it in..I bought two teeshirts with my winnings.

I came back and took my seat.... Saturday had more fan club members, family and friends and NY hip crowd.... there was yelling to LC and song requests..... Sunday was a listening audience. Sunday I was in the lower Mezz with a different view but same take..

I was amazed that I laughed and wept and still I am working on my feelings about the material and seeing LC live.... for the first time and second time. I thought that maybe two nights in a row was too much but 4 nights will not be enough. LC and band were looser on sunday for some reason or maybe i knew what to expect. Skipping, cartwheels, kisses blown to the audience. ... Sunday I brought my camera so photos to follow....

I know NYers have a reputation but I found the crowd sunday, more pushy and more rude to each other, in the bathroom line and at the merch table....NY is a city of survival and clearly people had a need to be competitive on sunday.... I sat with a couple who recently got married to "dance me to the end" so when LC opened the show with it, they were crying and holding hands....and it made me weep....

Friday, I saw John Prine and he made me cry but LC makes me weep. it was two amazing nights of sexual, religious and politcal songs.... I see why singer songwriter all hold LC up as the champion.... After hearing the songs live, covers seem bland and pale....

Boy do i feel blessed......

two shows in Boston to go....

More later

SharonG
clawless

Post by clawless »

I went on the 17th and was so excited that I couldn't sleep the night before and couldn't eat dinner.
When he began to recite the beginning of ANTHEM, I started crying and cried all the way through it. Leonard always speaks straight to my soul. I had tears during SUZANNE, too. And Leonard had a surprise for us. I thought I knew all of his lyrics, but he had some new words added at the beginning of BIRD ON A WIRE. I tried to scribble them down in the dark, but was later told that the new rendition is on the new concert DVD/CD. I bought the cute souvenir totebag and love looking at Leonard's face. I am so very grateful that I was able to be at this concert. At one point I was so filled with emotion that I yelled out "We love you Leonard." I hope he heard me!
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Mabeanie1 wrote:

You're absolutely right, Wendy. I've read this before: I think it was on a blog: could have been http://philspectorandkelleylynch.blogspot.com/. I couldn't bear to comb through all the stuff on that blog to find it, but it's absolutely a "cut and paste": there are phrases that are familiar.
Sue
Damfino

Post by Damfino »

sue7 wrote:You're absolutely right, Wendy. I've read this before: I think it was on a blog: could have been http://philspectorandkelleylynch.blogspot.com/. I couldn't bear to comb through all the stuff on that blog to find it, but it's absolutely a "cut and paste": there are phrases that are familiar.
Sue
Yes. Sadly, that same screed has been posted -- apropos of nothing -- in the comment section of several blogs and articles about LC's recent concerts.
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??
mirka

Post by mirka »

sue7 wrote:Mabeanie1 wrote:
You're absolutely right, Wendy. I've read this before: I think it was on a blog: could have been http://philspectorandkelleylynch.blogspot.com/.
Oh my !! I scanned both the NYPress comment and some of the blog entries, looks like this person is seriously tormented by demons. Who knows what happened that caused her to cross to the other side..., now she seems to be out of touch with reality....
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Violet

Post by Violet »

MaryB wrote:Violet,

After reading the mean-spirited review by Iman something or other, your post made me right again. Thank you so much for allowing me to enter your world.

Best regards,
Mary
Hi Mary.. thanks for your kind comment.. and I'm glad my notes helped you...

I've just heard from someone in the film industry who goes to concerts all the time who said that Leonard on this tour has produced the very best concert he has ever seen... What I mean to say with this is that we're looking at an extraordinarily well put together, well rehearsed production, with the very best musicianship, founded on some of the best songwriting of our era... add to that Leonard himself, who brings something ineffable to what he's doing... so we're starting all the way at the very top in terms of all of these things.. As to individual concert experiences during the course of this tour, I'm sure they vary somewhat.. but any criticisms of these concerts need to at least start with the concerts' high standard well established, which is not just a devotee's bias, but a thoroughly professional approach to doing any such reviews... I just thought this should be noted..

Thanks again, Mary, for commenting, and my best wishes to you too,

v i o l e t
Violet
Bromo

Post by Bromo »

Did I miss the setlist for the Sunday night NYC show?

Thanks,
Thomas
sharong

Post by sharong »

Setlist for Saturday and Sunday were identica..... I am hearing that Elvis Costello, WIll Lee, and Suzanne Vega were at Sunday's show....... wished Judy Collins wasnt in cabaret so she could have been there......

I missed them in the crowd....

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel #2
Waiting For The Miracle
Anthem
Tower of Song