CONCERT REPORTS: New York, May 16 and 17

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: New York, May 16 and 17

Post by sturgess66 »

All right - here we go again. :D

Love these fan videos that show up - reliving these wonderful performances.

Someone (sasaradovanovic82) has posted a very good capture of just a wonderful performance by Leonard of "I'm Your Man" from Radio City Music Hall - and posted it on YouTube.
"If you want a doctor, I'll examine every, every precious inch of you."
:lol: :lol:

I love Leonard's footwork :lol: - and we even have a bit from Roscoe Beck. And very nice solos from Dino Soldo throughout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr1EDMPlH-A
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Yes the footwork!!! So awesome. Dino is a good influence on him... :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by ladydi »

They all meld together so incredibly! Leonard feeds off Dino...Javier feeds off Leonard....Dino feeds off Leonard...Leonard feeds off Javier..... Then, we have the stalwarts...Bob Metzger, Neil Larson. Rafael is the catalyst where all the rythmn comes together! Sharon is the equal of Leonard. The Webb sisters are indispensible with their awesome angelic voices and their interaction with Leonard. And orchestrating it all is Roscoe! He is truly amazing how he brings everything together. Watch him during a performance...all the subtle messages and looks.

In my opinion, this is the most finely tuned group I have ever seen...thanks to Leonard, Roscoe and each and every person on that stage.....including the crew. What they create is a tapestry. Impossible without each individual.

Priceless.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Thank you so much, sturgess66. I'm Your Man was one of the incredibly high points of an extraordinary concert. The energy and intensity was just amazing, and of course the footwork, which you can see so beautifully from that height. I've only been to two concerts, both in NYC, and listened to all the live recordings I've been able to find, but it seemed like a particularly fine evening for Dino Soldo. His solos were consistently outstanding. The band seemed so amazingly attuned to each other, even more so than they had been in February at the Beacon. How incredibly blessed we've all been by these unbelievable concerts.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

I have just posted onto flickr a collection of photographs taken by my friend, photographer Andrea Dolloff, of the May 16 Radio City concert.
They're at http://www.flickr.com/people/39568202@N05/
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

This message is a bit behind time but only just noticed it. I booked a holiday in NewYork last May. The Gods above must have known because I JUST HAPPENED to be there when Leonard was on at Radio City. I could not believe what I was seeing. Got tickets before leaving UK and ,yes, it had to be the highlight of my visit to New York. How lucky was I ???
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

lightasabreeze wrote: How lucky was I ???
As lucky as the rest of us to have been blessed by seeing the Maestro live :D ! Could it possibly get any better than this - I don't think so!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

"New" YouTube upload from this show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yM9XME59wg
This person's seat was obviously not great but I loved this video. They had me with the "SOLD OUT! LEONARD COHEN" on the full city-block marquee to the wild audience reaction when he first sings at 0:45. (An amazing moment. I always react the same way. It's like being hit with a G-Force...in a good way. It pains me to think I might never experience that again, in person. :cry: ) The video is almost 10 minutes, with excerpts from a few songs. Good sound, and well worth a look/listen.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Esther! I just gave it a look/listen. It's not close up video - but it is a nice little capsule of one of his Radio City shows. Wish I had been there. :D :D

And I know - I know! We were so lucky - and blessed - to have seen him here last year. I envy the excited people in Europe who are now going through the dreadful stress of presales :lol: and experiencing the anticipation of seeing Leonard soon. A dream come true. :D :D

I still hope he might pass this way again. Waiting for the miracle. :D :D

Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

~~~ Emily Dickinson
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Just remembering this time last year when I made my first trip to NY and saw Leonard at Radio City - what an amazing location and a fantastic show. Happy memories.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Dina Regine -

Leonard Cohen's Blessing, Radio City Music Hall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbqAMFcos_I

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”