Leonard on white stallions

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bridger15

Leonard on white stallions

Post by bridger15 »

I can’t promise that he’ll arrive on white stallions (which he has done in the past) but I can promise white hair and a memorable show at Radio City Music Hall.
http://www.martiniboys.com/NYC/articles ... 12512.html

I have never heard any details about LC arriving on white stallions. I would appreciate knowing more, please.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
bridger15

Re: Leonard on white stallions

Post by bridger15 »

bridger15 wrote:
I can’t promise that he’ll arrive on white stallions (which he has done in the past) but I can promise white hair and a memorable show at Radio City Music Hall.
http://www.martiniboys.com/NYC/articles ... 12512.html
I have never heard any details about LC arriving on white stallions. I would appreciate knowing more, please.
It is also mentioned on http://leonardcohenfiles.com/
"1. Ten Reasons To Toast Him On His Birthday by Stephen Scobie
...Because he rode a white stallion onto stage. "

Does anyone know anything about this they can share with us?

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The memory mixes things up... was it Boston maybe? Perhaps, because of a maze of one-way streets... running late and getting later for a concert, he/they[?]/at least Leonard mounted a white stallion and negotiated the traffic far better, arriving at the concert and going straightaway onstage, still on the horse. Why not? What an image. Don't recall if any of those specifics are correct or WHERE he came across a white horse [maybe he convinced a mounted cop to let him borrow it ;-) ?], but I know it related to his getting to his own concert on time.

Tom Sakic or DrHGuy must not have noticed this yet, or they'd have clarified. As it is, you just gotta deal with me till someone with all the facts happens along. At least, you now have the jist. A teaser, of sorts.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

lizzytysh wrote:The memory mixes things up... was it Boston maybe? Perhaps, because of a maze of one-way streets... running late and getting later for a concert, he/they[?]/at least Leonard mounted a white stallion and negotiated the traffic far better, arriving at the concert and going straightaway onstage, still on the horse. Why not? What an image. Don't recall if any of those specifics are correct or WHERE he came across a white horse [maybe he convinced a mounted cop to let him borrow it ;-) ?], but I know it related to his getting to his own concert on time.

Tom Sakic or DrHGuy must not have noticed this yet, or they'd have clarified. As it is, you just gotta deal with me till someone with all the facts happens along. At least, you now have the jist. A teaser, of sorts.
~ Lizzy
I LOVE YOUR VERSION. Thanks, Lizzy

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're welcome, Bridger.

These are the things I know for sure about it:
He rode a horse onstage at one of his concerts.
The horse was white... and "stallion" fits the image I had of it when I read the account.
He rode the horse to mitigate against being late or later to his own concert, due to the gnarled traffic in a difficult road pattern.
He borrowed the horse in some kind of way.

I'm not sure about:
The city... but Boston rings a bell and Boston fits the image I had when I read the account and Boston has a difficult road pattern.
How he got the horse.

I know the audience went flat-out nuts when he rode onto the stage. Wouldn't you have loved to have been there and experienced that 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Lizzy,

Having lived in Boston for over 40 years, I am sorry to report there has been no mention of this happenning in our media.

Leonard will be in Boston this week-end and I'll ask Sharon Robinson before the show if she knows anything about this. Incidentally, I am struck at how warmly available she was in New York. We had a great chat about her new CD and working with Leonard

Leonard from Montreal....same name...same town...no Golden Voice
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, thank you for eliminating one town, Leonard from Montreal. That takes care of Boston. When I saw your name, I was hoping that you had come to fill in the blanks of unknowing. Well, perhaps, Tom or DrHGuy will happen by.

I, too, was amazed by Sharon's warmth and openness in New York 8) . I would love to be able to speak with her briefly at Red Rocks. Thanks if you'll try to get some clarification on the white stallion incident.

Now, Leonard, we know same name, same town, but we have yet to hear you sing, so the jury's still out on that one.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Perhaps he's holding off on the white stallion until Red Rocks....

That is cowboy country! ;-) 8) :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GREAT one, Diana! Wish I'd thought of that... so, right! How about a replay, Leonard 8) ? Looking at those cliffs, though, we might find him coming in on a donkey or mule ;-) ... stubborn as those garbage bags that Time cannot decay :razz: [at least I thought of something ;-) ].
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:Perhaps he's holding off on the white stallion until Red Rocks....
That is cowboy country!
Then perhaps he might wear the elegant "cowboy hat" he wore in Grand Prairie, Texas in April.
Y e e h a w !

margaret

Post by margaret »

I think it was in the south of France many years ago and was mentioned in the Ira Nadel biography, Various Positions. They were running late to get to a concert and as the band at the time were all used to riding horses back home they borrowed some and rode to the venue. Leonard, as leader had to have the white stallion, which he rode onto the stage when they arrived.

Margaret
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The south of France... well, I was close. Boston :lol: . I thought it had to do with traffic, their running late. I wonder if it says who they borrowed them from... or why they were running late. In any case, we're narrowing the field and now know where to look. Thanks, Margaret.
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have seen a b/w photo of Leonard on a white horse INSIDE a French venue .. but can't remember where!! It must be in one
of the old magazines I have...
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
margaret

Post by margaret »

Page 177 in Various Positions.

There was a traffic jam in Provence in August 1970 so Bob Johnson sent the road manager to get some horses from the stable attached to the country inn where they were staying. They rode to Aix-en-Provence, after stopping to drink a few bottles of wine at a steakhouse along the way, and decided to ride all the way and onto the stage. Leonard's horse had to be coaxed up a steep ramp, it then reared up and he saluted the crowd.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thank you so much, Margaret.
The stallion story is fantastic, the stuff of legends. I wouldn't expect anything less from our dear, wonderful Maestro. Golly gee whiz, if someone could scan the photo and post it, I am sure we all would love to enjoy it.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”