CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, May 12

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: The Philadelphia Inquirer's Review of Leonard Cohen

Post by MaryB »

And the photos are absolutely exquisite!!!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, May 12

Post by sturgess66 »

"Hallelujah" - Phila. 5-12-09 (w/brilliant keyboard solo by Neil Larsen).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POucHq7TkWE
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Tony Norman's review is outstanding! Without resorting to background information that seems to be included in so many reviews, he has given us a fantastic personal insight into his experiences of the night. I loved it!!!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dick

Post by dick »

I have written a thank you to Tony for his great article, and also was pleased to fax it to Esther -- am sure she too will enjoy. She did mention a Pittsburgh reporter, but didn't give details.

I got a kick out of this blog report too --- don't find any author name attached to it.

From philebrity
Department Of Benedictions: Leonard Cohen, And How To Be A/The/Your Man

We don’t know when we’ll be back again this way, so, until then, take care, friends. The weather’s kinda tricky, so don’t catch a cold. If you’ve got to fall, try to fall on the side of luck. And may you be surrounded by friends and family. And if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude. – Leonard Cohen, Philadelphia, May 12, 2009

As you may know, Leonard Cohen played the Academy of Music last night, and though good manners prevent us from gloating here about just how great he was at length, suffice to say it was one of the single greatest performances by any human being that we’ve ever seen in our lives. With a backing band in which every single was musician was, if we may slide into muso-talk here, an absolute fucking monster, Cohen ran through more of his catalog than we’d ever thought we’d hear direct from the source, with each turn of it delivered, frankly, magnificently. (If, for any reason, you have the means to travel to any part of the world and see Cohen play while he’s still doing these shows, do that now; the world is already ruined for your children.) He was spry. He was wry. He danced, and he genuflected. And we’ve never seen a crowd more firmly in the palm of one man’s hand (and this counts Obama and Morrissey). There were standing ovations, explosive outbursts of applause for the way the man delivered single lines, and thunderous applause when Cohen abandoned his accompaniment altogether and recited poetry. He played “Tower Of Song” on a little Casio-crappy keyboard, and it killed; he played “Famous Blue Raincoat” better than you could ever imagine it; he played them all. And at the end of it, backed by a chorus of musicians, he delivered the benediction you see above. We reprint it here both as a way to say, no, thank you, L. Cohen, and also because it’s a pretty badass thing for you to say next time you leave a party. Print it out on a card and put it in your wallet. You know, just in case.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I just loved Tony Norman's reviews. After listening to Terry Gross do two pieces on and one interview with Leonard, I'm delighted knowing she was there 8) ! Great comments here. Thanks so much to everyone for them :D .

YaY, gracious Esther... so very much like her to be so hospitable. I've concluded that it's in their genes, as well. A lovely mother and father make for lovely children, when all goes well... and so it did.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Dick wrote: From philebrity
Department Of Benedictions: Leonard Cohen...

We don’t know when we’ll be back again this way, so, until then, take care, friends.
1. The weather’s kinda tricky, so don’t catch a cold.
2 If you’ve got to fall, try to fall on the side of luck.
3. And may you be surrounded by friends and family.
4, And if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude.
A while ago, I wrote this on another thread:

When Leonard spoke his closing words, I realized he was fulfilling his inherited obligation as a High Priest (Kohen). He was performing the ritual of the four Priestly Blessings. (Numbers 6:24-26).

If you look at my avatar to the right, you will see a representation of the High Priest's hands (LC?) performing this ritual. This is a scan of the LC keychain I bought at the merch stand in Los Angeles. It never leaves my person. I feel blessed all the time.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

bridger15 wrote:If you look at my avatar to the right, you will see a representation of the High Priest's hands (LC?) performing this ritual. This is a scan of the LC keychain I bought at the merch stand in Los Angeles. It never leaves my person. I feel blessed all the time.
Likewise, this sterling silver ring will never leave my finger:

ImageImage

As I mentioned in my post in the collector's thread, they only had sizes 6 and 11 left in Philadelphia. I purchased an 11 and had it resized to a 9 1/2 by my local jeweler (Armando Rey in the Italian Market) the following day. It sits perfectly. I love it.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Dumbjaw wrote:
Likewise, this sterling silver ring will never leave my finger
BEAUTIFUL ring!
Fabulous photos. Excellent detail.
Thanks for sharing these.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

bridger15 wrote:Fabulous photos. Excellent detail.
Thanks! It's less to do with my photography skills (which are small to none), and more to do with the exceptional camera integrated in my BlackBerry Storm.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dumbjaw!!!

Where WAS that ring :shock: ??? I'm wondering if they were at the front of the merchandise case ~ as I've yet to GET to the front of any of the merchandise cases... and please tell me, here or privately, what the ring cost! Thanks very much. So beautiful and how I would love to have one.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Anthem performance in Philadelphia - and Leonard introduces his musicians and singers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0SPL6lTo4
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

lizzytysh wrote:Where WAS that ring :shock: ??? I'm wondering if they were at the front of the merchandise case ~ as I've yet to GET to the front of any of the merchandise cases... and please tell me, here or privately, what the ring cost! Thanks very much. So beautiful and how I would love to have one.
LIZZY!!!

After the show, I was standing outside on the steps of the Academy Of Music talking with a few people and decided to go back in to take a look at the merchandise tables as I couldn't get near them before. They had just started packing everything up, but the cash register was still plugged in. I had unfettered access to the merchandise. I admit it was pretty great! They had canvas and leather tote bags ($125 for the leather) with the Unified Heart symbol, they had t-shirts and guitar picks, they had programs and hoodies. But my eyes immediately fell to the sterling silver ring. There's some kind of additional worth to something that you know you will have use for every single day for as long as you choose, you know?

It's true sterling silver (with the .925 designation on the inside band) and it cost me exactly $55.00. The resizing was an additional $20, but it's worth it, I don't really care. I love the ring and I did what I had to do to make it so that I could wear it forever, and that's just what I'll do!

Hopefully the Leonard Cohen online store will open sooner rather than later, or perhaps you could ask future concert-goers to keep an eye out for one for you?
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And another one -

"Take This Waltz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUKQkR-o3g
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's true sterling silver (with the .925 designation on the inside band) and it cost me exactly $55.00.
NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo
You got the deal of a lifetime, DJ!!! I will be looking FIRST for one... if too small, I'll make it larger... if too large, I'll make it smaller.

I got the same theme in a t-shirt... the black with the interlocking hearts white... and Leonard Cohen written somewhat small at the top of the back of it. Not to compare with that phenomenal ring, though. The year and Leonard's signature and everything already there, too. My G~d... it's beautiful.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Philadelphia CityPaper -

Posted by Sam Adams on Friday, May 15th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Leonard Cohen, May 12th Academy of Music

Your faith was strong but you needed proof.

“It’s been 14 or 15 years since I stood on this stage. I was 60 years old — just a kid with a crazy dream,” Leonard Cohen joked with the Academy of Music crowd. That’s right: joked. From the moment he danced (danced!) onstage, Cohen belied the sober and even dour image he built up over four decades of self-styled rock poetry. I’ve always found it hard to take Cohen as seriously as he took himself, especially since so many of his songs sounded as if they were designed to get women to sleep with him. But notwithstanding its three-hour-plus running time, Tuesday’s show was blessedly free of pretense. From the opening bars of “Dance Me to the End of Love,” where he dropped to one knee in front of guitarist Javier Mas, he was more inclined to plead than to pontificate, posing questions rather than selling answers.

It’s no secret that Cohen’s return to touring was prompted by the theft of most of his fortune by his former manager, but there was no whiff of cash-in. The tickets may have started north of $100, but Cohen seemed determined to earn every penny, guiding his exceptional six-piece band through just about every song anyone could care to hear. By the time he wrapped up the third encore with “Whither Thou Goest,” one imagines even the most devout Cohen acolyte was well and truly sated.

Cohen handed off a few songs to his backing vocalists — collaborator Sharon Robinson took the lead on “Boogie Street,” and Charley and Hattie Webb did the honors on “If It Be Your Will” — but the 74-year-old Cohen never left the stage, and his energy never flagged. With a literal spring in his step, he danced softly around the stage, his hands pulled up near the brim of his trademark fedora (also mandatory attire for his stage crew). “I tried all the religions,” he told the crowd, also rattling off a long list of antidepressants. “But the cheerfulness kept breaking through.”

Levity isn’t a trait one associates with Cohen, but the attentive crowd pulled out the tongue-in-cheek asides from songs like “Waiting for the Miracle,” where he quipped, “I haven’t been this happy since the end of World War II.” The opening bars of “I Tried to Leave You” wouldn’t normally call for a laugh, but when Cohen used to open his third encore, the crowd erupted. By then he had tried many times, although his inability to leave the stage could hardly be called a failure.

Set 1:
Dance Me to The End of Love
The Future
Ain’t No Cure For Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Waiting for the Miracle
Anthem

Set 2: