CONCERT REPORT: Detroit, May 9

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Detroit, May 9

Post by MaryB »

Well, I've finally read your posts (trying to save the best for last ;-) ). Diana and Lizzy, what a night you all had :roll: before the concert even began! I haven't read or posted my experience of the Columbia concert yet (no time - a little later) but it must be The Twighlight Zone - ours was also one of frenzy :roll: !

We need to hear more of your meetup with the members of the band! And what about your gift for Fred, Diana - what exactly was it? You're leaving me hanging here :? :roll: :cry: !

Always appreciate all the posts - I relive each concert through your words :D . Thank you all so very, very much!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

LadyDi,

Sorry to hear about that. I didn't know you were alone.

My driver and I ran into the goof blocking the street too. It was a tense situation as he was yelling and cussing at a guy and his family walking on the sidewalk. I thought for sure a gun would be pulled and my driver and I would be in the crossfire just wanting to make a right turn.

I understand (from another member's e-mail on here) that he was a worker in that lot and he was being annoying, blocking the street trying to drum up business for that lot.

Usually that area is fine. I guess it could have been worse. But in my eyes, Detroit was living up to its stereotypes. You'd normally never see beggers/panhandlers in that area. Seems that the cops usher them along. I did however see several that night which I thought was strange.

When we all got out of The Fox, I only saw two cop cars in the area. Usually there are a ton. I don't know if they were lacking because of no Tiger game in town or if it had something to do with the pending changing of mayors.

People have complained that the cops are "too focused" on The Fox District and they need to be spread out all over the city.

Gotta feeling things would have been safer all over Detroit if Cockrel stayed in office. But that's another story for another thread I guess.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Short and sweet with me, Mary :lol: ~ I never saw a member of the band. Wrong place, right time... right place, wrong time ;-) . Perhaps, Red Rocks :lol: . I did, however, see the concert and that is the main thing!

Ohhh... I hope Fred's caretakers take a photo of him with his Aunt Di goodie bag. Sooooo sweet. We were all awwwww'ing and laughing as she pulled each item from its bag :lol: . I'll leave the descriptions to Diana.

Yeah, Walsh. We didn't know but what Diana just didn't feel safe just sitting there waiting on us, and decided to leave based on that alone. I guess a hooker passed me on the sidewalk or was in front of me to begin with, with us both walking the same direction, as I left Diana's car to return to Marie standing at the corner waiting. I was so focused on Marie that I didn't even notice the hooker... though, coming face to face with two of them, going the opposite direction on the sidewalk as I was, on my way to the Town Pump after the show, I thought how they must be on their way to work. Then, there was a man standing at the corner playing a guitar though, presumably hopefully, not for free.

I wish to heck Diana had called us, as we checked Marie's phone... and when she'd been trying to reach Marie earlier [before the concert], she hadn't left her own phone # so we had no way of calling her, either. Better plans with more info next time, I'd say. Reading now how she got lost is just a bummer.

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sat May 16, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Walsh75

Post by Walsh75 »

LOl. Yeah. As we were on that same street we too saw what had to be a hooker walking by. And it seemed that I left way before you guys did.

Again, had it been that area of Detroit like usual, there would have been tons of cops around and these ppl wouldn't be wandering around so much in plain sight. Someone for sure would have told that guy to stay the hell out of the street, and if they saw him again do it, then a ticket or jail.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

As we were on that same street we too saw what had to be a hooker walking by. And it seemed that I left way before you guys did.
I think there were probably enough to go around ;-) . In fact, I thought their timing may have been intentionally coinciding with the ending of the show.

I'm looking forward to reading your account, Mary. For us, it was the 'full moon' before and after the show... and the glory of the full moon during it.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hey guys...(Walsh and Lizzy) I was fine! Actually, the gentleman in the middle of the street was very helpful. I asked how to get to the Lodge and he told me....very similar to the little diagram my friend Lisa had mapped out on the napkin. Except in downtown Detroit the signs for expressways are nil. How many other cities are like this? Every interstate/freeway has a NAME along with a number. But everyone uses the NAME! Signs are the size of a loaf of bread. No East/West/North/South. No entrance/exit. Where are the big green signs? Once one leaves Wayne county they are everywhere....but nothing downtown. And downtown Detroit is also filled with one way streets.....hah! I will either have some sort of nav system next time....or a chauffeur! 8) Never saw a hooker. That never bothers me. Living for 8 years in Las Vegas one is very very accustomed to hookers and half the time I don't even notice them. On one level I'm disgusted how they are used and abused. But, on another level, maybe from my Vegas days, they are "working gals", and sometimes one has to do what one has to do.

Lizzy, I've been meaning to email you, but I just didn't want you and Marie to feel you had to guide me out. Both of you had to get back to your places for sleep as you were on your way north the next day! The wonderful thing is that the moon was full and I followed it for miles, as it slipped in and out of clouds.....and all the time Leonard's songs reverberated in my mind! I was the proverbial lost blonde..... ;-)

All the best,
Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Diana ~

I am so relieved to know that the man was helpful and you left purely by choice. I'm sorry it was such a delay for you; yet, you clearly made the best of your time 8) .

Yes, I didn't feel affronted by the hookers, either. Been in rougher areas than that and came through fine. Still, I was concerned for you and why you may have opted to leave. I'm glad to know all was well.

Now, where is that incredible photo that Marie said you got of Leonard? I hope you'll post it soon.

We were happy to guide you... time was VERY relative that night and next morning.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Will try again in the morning. Right now my computer keeps telling me the photos are invalid.... Time to go to bed :D

Diana
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hmmm. Invalid? I think not!

I'm headed to bed pretty quick, too. If Fred shows up before I shut down, I tell him you were calling his name.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi "Mother Mary",

I unfortunately did NOT get a photo, but our Fred's little gift was in a little fuzzy "tote" that said "Go Bananas". It included some banana body spritz....a green lollipop with a sweet monkey face...some tropical jelly beans....a little bag of nuts and raisins (actually don't think monkeys eat those but perhaps their "persons" might)....a Detroit Tiger cap and little jersey (no number), and one real live banana which fell on the floor when I was giving it to Roscoe but don't think it was too bruised!

Hope Fred (and others) might have enjoyed the contents! Would be cute to see him in the jersey!

Talk with you later...
Diana
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Diana,

How utterly cute and clever! Fred won't go hungry, will have something to carry his 'food' in and was able to stay warm in the cold in Columbia with his cap and jersey (hope we get a photo of that :D ) and will smell good to boot.

A lollipop with a monkey face on it? Surely you don't expect Fred to resort to cannibalism :shock: :razz: :lol: ?

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
RoseMarie

A piece called Cathedral, review of sorts

Post by RoseMarie »

I walked into his cathedral, limping. Banged and bruised, inside and out. Hair mussed, curls hanging up and down and a large orange butterfly clipped into the madness. Leopard print cane supporting my gimp knee, slow steps, we found our seats. I said 'J' for Jewish and we all laughed. Well I did. Sitting at row Jewish, I began to get nervous. Nervous for this old man about to creak out onto the stage, nervous for my expectations which are always high and never ever within reach. I looked at the Goddesses on the walls, butterflies too and I knew I was in good company. Golden and serene, taking it all in, perplexing humanity spreading out among the seats. I have been alone in my love for his music for years. What a treat to be among fan boys and girls.

At the appointed time the band began, the players so deeply good in the knowledge of their instrument, aged and smiling. I smiled too. On the end of my seat is where I first saw him. Old but not creaking, he skipped to the microphone and launched into one of my favorites, he knelt at the guitar player and sang. The music swirled tenderly through the air and I took deep breaths to bring it into me. It was one of those sacred times when there is no time, nothing more then music and the man with the golden voice singing his prayers, bowing respectfully to his band. Joking and full of life at 74. I had no idea that a person could still be enthralled with life at that age. My expectation was that life begins to leak out sometime around 60 or in my case, 37.

I began to feel illuminated in his presence, my tank empty began to fill. The songs that kept me above water on dark nights blessed me, again and again. I was not healed but close.

When he sang 'Forget your perfect offerings, there is a crack, a crack in everything – thats how the light gets in.' I cried. I cried for me and for you and Leonard. I have cracks and no spackle my pain bleeds out my eyeballs and I know what you mean when you call yourself the snowman.

A woman behind me screamed “Marry me Leonard!” She is completely serious. There are many I love yous, tossed from all around the cathedral. I reach out with my heart to him, I offer him many years of life and love that endures. I ask him, in my head and heart to never die. Most songs got standing ovations, he smiled out at us. The house lights would come up a lot so he could properly see us.

It was a sitting kinda concert so I danced sitting in my seat. The music swirling as I mentioned before, somehow a deeper poignancy in the words, his voice deeper, richer with age. At moments, I find myself with my arms out, palms up offering and receiving. Borrowing the intensity and sincere love that flows from his music. I am in a trance, fully taken, open to receive. 'We may be ugly but, we got the music.' Exactly.

That night at the end of the show, he thanked everyone, even the caterers, he bowed to his backup singers, the stage hands, the truckers. A full bow too, none of those quickie bows. 3 hours of playing, 3 encores, it was time to go.

He said, “We don't know when we'll be back.” I cried. I was full of his honesty and beauty. The years were not always kind but they were his. He relishes them and grows, still grows.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, you are a writer, RoseMarie. Your report brought me to tears. What you've said applies. Thank you for speaking the unspoken, the implied... "I ask him, in my head and heart to never die." Thank you for speaking my own heart... "I reach out with my heart to him, I offer him many years of life and love that endures." You've written exquisitely of Leonard, equal to all that he is and has been. Thank you.

My deep-hearted welcome to you, as I also hope you will continue to share more with us here.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

A beautiful, deeply felt review, RoseMarie. Thank you for bringing us into the Cathedral with your words.
My best,
Eve
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

RoseMarie,

A beautiful, ethereal post. You took me to celestial heights with you. Thank you.

Best regards,
Mary

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”