CONCERT REPORT: Edmonton, April 25

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
DeeCeedoubleU

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Edmonton April 25

Post by DeeCeedoubleU »

Thanks again for your kind wishes :) Mary B. I thought I'd check in to the LC site. It is always uplifting. We're still plodding along and playing lots of LC's music. It sure helps. Yes hopefully we will as LC says "fall on the lucky side". In the meantime we will keep on trying. :)
bridger15

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Edmonton, April 25

Post by bridger15 »

A tweeter just mentioned the one year anniversary of the LC concert in Edmonton at Rexall place last April 25, 2009 and included this link to a concert blog. http://vwayner.com/concerts/leonard/cohen.htm

Included on the vwayner concert blog, are two Youtube videos, "Hallelujah" and "Closing time". There are also a lot of photos with the annoying authorship on them.

But one photo of interest is LC kneeling on the stage graciously signing a painting for Joel/Goodfella213

I have a painting a friend of mine did of Leonard Cohen... I have been to London, Seattle, and Canada trying to get it signed. I have had no luck. Last night during the last song of the night I unrolled it and showed it to Leonard. While he looked at it, I held up a marker. He ever so slightly notted his head "yes". I set it down on the edge of the stage, Leonard walked over and signed the painting!!!

I showed it to the crown and got a big round of applause. It was perfect!!!!

Joel
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I sat next to Joel at the RAH and he showed me this drawing that a friend of his had done. He was trying to figure out at that time how to get it signed. What a unique way to get it done! Hope he sees this - it will be priceless to him, even with the authorship!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

MaryB wrote:I sat next to Joel at the RAH and he showed me this drawing that a friend of his had done. He was trying to figure out at that time how to get it signed. What a unique way to get it done! Hope he sees this - it will be priceless to him, even with the authorship!
Mary, what a nice coincidence about your sitting next to Joel. I also thought the photo captured a very special moment. So, I sent a PM to Joel (Goodfella213) and hope he picks it up. Perhaps he can contact the blogger and obtain a "clean" photo image for himself.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Then he'll have that coveted provenance :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Goodfella213

Post by Goodfella213 »

YEP.... I got it.

He e-mailed me the photo shortly after the concert. As Mary knows.... I like to meet the people around me.

This photo captures one of the greatest moments of my life!!!! My heart was pounding out of my chest.

Joel
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Ahhhh, the memories! I witnessed this joyous moment in Joel's life, as it was also a joyous moment in my own life (indeed, it was one of the greatest nights of my life), having just experienced my very first Leonard Cohen concert! (I was sitting two rows behind Joel, whom I do not know and did not meet, but I was extremely envious that he got Leonard to sign his picture!) I have frequently watched those two videos from Edmonton, since the vantage point of the filmer was almost identical to my own, which makes it all the more special (and how often does one get to hear Leonard say the name of one's home-town, well, aside from old audio recordings of Leonard introducing Sisters of Mercy which he notes that he wrote in Edmonton? Okay, so we Edmontonians are lucky on that one!)

In honour of today being one year since I saw the Great Man Himself, I wore my concert t-shirt and watched Live in London. There were moments while watching it when I felt the same thrill as on that unforgettable night last April: the opening strains of a particular favourite song would send chills down my spine; certain moments would bring a huge smile to my face (well, there were about 2.5 hours worth of smiles, as it turns out!); hearing Anthem would fill me with a blissful feeling as I recalled almost floating out of the arena at Intermission. I have declared April 25th to be "Leonard Cohen Day" in my household, and it will be honoured in a similar fashion each year!

Cheers, all! :D
Goodfella213

Post by Goodfella213 »

I am new to uploading photo's here. But I thought you all might enjoy seeing this....
Attachments
leonard 003 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

WOW Joel - good for you. So glad you got it!!
Goodfella213

Post by Goodfella213 »

The photo does it no justice. The frame is incredible. My camera is a peice of crap. I have the painting hanging in my TV room, next to it is 3 photos from the show... including one of him singing, one of him with his hand out taking the marker from me, and of course... one of him signing it.

I hope Leonard realizes the impact he made on my life by making that one little move.

I also got a guitar pick from Javier that I will be framing with a photo of him at the show.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”