CONCERT REPORT: Calgary, April 26

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
maglover

CONCERT REPORT: Calgary, April 26

Post by maglover »

After sixteen long years and almost a year of living vicariously through the postings, pictures, reports and reviews of all the people who have seen LC already on his world tour, it's Calgary's turn! Venue is the magnificent Jack Singer Concert Hall. With a seating capacity of 1800, it is likely one of the smallest and more initmate settings LC will play. The sound quality will be superb and there is not a bad seat in the house!

Keep a watchful eye out for Fred the Monkey!

With apologies to Leonard, "We have practised every night, now we're ready..."
st theresa

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Calgary April 26

Post by st theresa »

Hi Maglover
I can hardly wait--walked over to see the venue last night and again this morning--was rewarded with a look at the tour buses--I think. See you tonight :D
foxglove

Post by foxglove »

Six and a half hours till concert time! I just checked ticketmaster.ca and there are still a few seats available! It's not too late...........
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi st theresa and everyone else!

SO excited for you all tonight! It will be magical and the venue sounds absolutely perfect! Can't wait to hear your reviews.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Diana
Tom Price

Edmonton Show

Post by Tom Price »

The Leonard Cohen show in Edmonton was superb. Stellar. Fantasic. A real beautiful show. Great sound like an expensive stereo in someones listening room. The lighting was a classic work of art in itself. One of the best shows that I have ever seen, and I've seen lots of shows. Nice work Leonard. Three hours of BLISS!
maglover

Post by maglover »

First Set
1. Dance Me to the End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure For Love
4. Bird on the Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
9. Waiting for the Miracle
10. Anthem

Second Set
11. Tower of Song
12. Suzanne
13. The Gypsy's Wife
14. The Partisan
15. Boogie Street
16. Hallelujah
17. I'm Your Man
18. A Thousand Kisses Deep
19. Take This Waltz

First Encore
20. So Long, Marianne
21. First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore
22. Famous Blue Raincoat
23. Sisters of Mercy

Third Encore
24. If It Be Your Will
25. Closing Time

Fourth Encore
26. I Tried to Leave You
27. Whither Thou Goest
ellis

Post by ellis »

Just back from the Calgary concert, it was SUBLIME!!!! Last night in Edmonton was great too, but the more intimate venue here made it even better, if that's possible. I last saw him in Manchester in the 70s, so I've waited a long time, and it was so worth the wait! I was transported, by his music, words, expressions, humble demeanor, the enjoyment on his face, and by the superb artists on stage with him. I met three of the musicians beforehand, which made it even more special. I am filled with gratitude to everyone who made the show possible. He's our man!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Tom and ellis,

Thank you so much for your reviews and welcome to the forum! Hope you come back here from time to time - it's such a nice place to be with a lot of nice members.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
taxbuster

Post by taxbuster »

What an outstanding performance by a master; this was a gem of rare and intimate beauty! A chance to look and listen close-up and in the most intimate venue this city has to offer. Leonard filled eyes with tears and ears with the most sublime and generous tones. He held the audience for three hours (I can't remember any artist going that long in years....) in the palm of his hand, and in the smile of his eyes. His band was impeccable, his set selection like a greatest hits review of his life's work, and his demeanor generous and uplifting. He gave kudos to all of his bandmates (twice) as he introduced them in both sets. And - surprisingly - at the end he introduced, by name, members of his road crew.

He could not have delivered a more intimate experience without being alone in his boudoir - and yet every one of the 1800-odd in the Jack Singer, I'm sure, felt like me - like we were sitting with him, listening to him one-to-one. Thank you Leonard. Thank you so much - what a treat! (And I'm a man - I can't imagine how the women felt!!)
jedirene

Post by jedirene »

Like the above poster said, it was like he invited us into his living room and sang to us for 3 hours. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring. Worth the treacherous roads to return to Lethbridge the same night? Most definitely :-)
musicdan

Post by musicdan »

Saw Leonard last night ... and the concert is still buzzing in my head. The sound at the Jack Singer Concert Hall was impeccable. LC and his band were superb. I heard every note that was played with its raw, pure tonal quality. LC's voice was that of a sweet, soft, low rumbling balladeer that pulled the band and audience close and held them. Leonard Cohen kept us spellbound for three hours. A truly remarkable evening!
maglover

Post by maglover »

Highlights (for me):
Meeting Roscoe Beck, Rafael Gayol and Charley Webb before the show. They were all utterly charming and generous. I quizzed Charley on the whereabouts of Fred the Monkey to no avail... but Charley did allow me to get a picture with her. It did, however, snow in Calgary. I hope Fred is keeping warm!

A spectacular venue whose warm acoustics accentuated an amazing display of musical & lyric virtuosity.

An appreciative audience who would only cease their applause when the band would begin the next song.

Leonard's catalogue of music not played could have easily filled another set of A list material. I heard Kris Kristofferson once say, "Cutting songs from a set list was like deciding which of his children could not come for Christmas..."

WIth apologies to Frederick Knight, "Thanks for the song, Mister Cohen."
Last edited by maglover on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

maglover wrote:Highlights (for me):
Meeting Roscoe Beck, Raphael Goyal and Charlie Webb before the show. They were all utterly charming and generous. I quizzed Charlie on the whereabouts of Fred the Monkey to no avail... but Charlie did allow me to get a picture with her. ...
Here's a question to those who already met members of the band before the shows (and also to others who might have an opinion regrading what is appropriate):

Is it usually not too crowded to ask for photo ops? And what about autographs?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Brightnow,

The band members are usually very gracious and generous with their time...with restraints of course, as they can't keep chatting until 8pm ;-) But there should be no problem requesting a photo with them or perhaps an autograph! Enjoy :D

All the best,
Diana

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”