CONCERT REPORT: Victoria, April 21

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
icecreamtruck

CONCERT REPORT: Victoria, April 21

Post by icecreamtruck »

Set List
1. Dance Me To The End Of Love
2. The Future
3. Ain't No Cure For Love
4. Bird On The Wire
5. Everybody Knows
6. In My Secret Life
7. Who By Fire
8. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
9. Waiting For The Miracle
10. Anthem

1. Tower Of Song
2. Suzanne
3. The Gypsy's Wife
4. The Partisan
5. Boogie Street
6. Hallelujah
7. I'm Your Man
8. A Thousand Kisses Deep
9. Take This Waltz

First Encore
1. So Long, Marianne
2. First We Take Manhattan
Second Encore
1. Famous Blue Raincoat
2. If It Be Your Will
3. Closing Time
Third Encore
1. I Tried To Leave You
2. Whither Thou Goes

Friends:

Forgive me if this isn't right. Let me know and I''ll fix it. It's hard to think of something that hasn't been said already about these shows. Suffice to say it's all true! How great it was to see my hero in the flesh and to hear him sing those wonderful songs with such passion and vitality. Everybody around me was amazed. I heard a young person say at intermission that the show had already "blown" his expectations. Chelsea Hotel #2 surprised me as my favourite. I enjoyed the way the crowd acknowledged the lines "For me you'd make an exception" and "We are Ugly but we have the music."

Just a wonderful night. A night I thought I'd never have. An evening with Leonard Cohen.
Natalie

CONCERT REPORT: Victoria's Spiritual Feast of the Senses

Post by Natalie »

Hi everyone,

Yes, it was pure and simple. Rehearsed and polished. Beautifully mastered and refined.

Someone has posted a setlist (thank you!) which I noticed has not deviated from what Leonard has played at other North American venues. We did not get "That Don't Make It Junk."

Highlights included Leonard's Spanish mandriola player (mesmerizing), the Webb sisters' decadent harmonies, Sharon Robinson's velvety voice and of course Leonard's voice and his poignant little soliloquys. I heard others comment on the incredible musicianship of everyone performing.

Some of my personal favourites: "Who By Fire" was breathtaking. The Webb Sisters' duet of "If It Be Your Will" felt inspirational. The spoken word "A Thousand Kisses Deep" was like nothing I have ever heard at a concert before.

So, all in all, Leonard and band completely surpassed my great expectations and delivered a marvelous evening of hope, reverence and love. Leonard finished with a message to the audience. To paraphrase, he hoped that everyone would be going home to family and friends. And then he said, "If you aren't, may you find blessings in your solitude." I am not sure if that is an exact quote, but it's close.

As I am a writer, I could go and on and on, but I don't want to be verbose.

Thank you, Leonard and Band!

Cheers,

Natalie :roll: (who is so deliriously happy today!)
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Victoria April 21

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so glad that you were finally able to see Leonard perform Live, Natalie... and, I know how happy you are about that :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bellebottoms

Post by bellebottoms »

Hey all! I was in the 3rd row center at the concert last night and it was.......... AWESOME! By all accounts, you could use the most superlative descriptions and they still wouldn't describe the event in its fullness. Leonard seemed so genuine and 'in the moment', vibrant, and relaxed. He really gave back to the audience, both in length and depth. It was thrilling in every aspect. Words cannot really describe it. It was a perfect concert.

I attended the early admission and spent a lot of money on t-shirts, dvd, etc. I did find the t-shirts a tad expensive at $40, but I like the designs and the quality. There was hardly anyone initially at the early admission, and I got in easily without having bought my ticket at the presale. They basically let in anyone who was already there at 6:20pm.... very kind.

I really hope that he returns to North America. To have this experience not once, but twice, would be a gift.

BelleBottoms
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

The concert, of course, was brilliant, I having seen it in Vancouver.

On the merch, it 'was' good quality, wasn't it? I liked the tag 'Unified Heart Touring Company'. All merch at lesser concerts, even, is expensive, but the quality was nice here. I get the feeling it will survive at least one or two (likely MORE) washings.

Glad all of you who attended the Victoria concert, got as much as the rest of the world did. I don't know how he keeps going and going and going, like the Ever Ready Bunny. :)

I wonder if anyone ran into the band on the crossing from Vancouver to Victoria, or if they stayed on the buses? Not too many places to go on those ferries, so I'm betting someone lucky wound up just a tad closer to the band than the rest of us did.

My toes are just now grazing the earth once more. I've been floating since Sunday night. I am SO glad I went. If Jennifer Warnes is attending the Ottawa Bluesfest, I may get lucky and see her in Thunder Bay. Ah. It doesn't seem like my Leonard and 'former' affiliates days are over quite yet.

Cheers,
Linda.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Okay, it's been a week, and I am still so happy. I can cross 'Seeing Leonard live in Concert' off of my "List." It was preceded by 'Natural Childbirth.' So, what's next? I think 'Meeting Leonard' HAS TO be next!

There has been quite the firestorm in the press over the concert review. We have a critic in Victoria who has been chastised for not giving the concert and Leonard enough praise (he gave the concert 4 out of 5 stars . . .). Okay, everyone who has seen Leonard play live knows he is worthy of the 5 star rating.

I was looking at the Set List from Edmonton and Calgary -- does anyone know if he played "Sisters of Mercy" for us in Victoria? I think I was so enraptured by the entire performance that I really can't remember.

And, Elizabeth, yes, I am thrilled. Everyone can try to express how amazing it is, but you can't comprehend it until you experience it . . .

Cheers,

Natalie :roll:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, Elizabeth, yes, I am thrilled. Everyone can try to express how amazing it is, but you can't comprehend it until you experience it . . .
That's exactly right, Natalie. I really haven't tried... I just keep reading what everyone else is saying and say, "YES! THAT'S IT! That's it! That's it!" And I really mean it... and it covers every good thing that anyone says. "Your words are my words!" I'm happy with that :D . To actually experience it is the key, though, really. Then, when you read what others have said, it all comes rushing back and you feel that euphoria. To really know and understand, though, you have to have been there at least once. Or so it seems to me.

I'm VERY happy for you, Natalie :D !

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”