CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, April 10 and 11

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
ocgypsy

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, April 10 & 11

Post by ocgypsy »

i'm still processing most of my thoughts but that had to be one of the finest concert experiences of all time.
I'd have to agree with that ---
It was my first Leonard Cohen show....Dino & Javier were stunning musically.
Have to say the audience was pretty stellar, too. They did not detract from
the magic we were witness to.

Am seriously considering seeking a scalped ticket for tonight. I went for Loge because I didn't
expect to be completely blown away like that. Had no idea. Am so grateful for the opportunity to
witness that Live.

Coachella Friday night! I went for those before I knew he would be at Nokia, any others here
going? Wonder if he can pull off that kind of Finesse at a festival.

My good friend & his wife are going tonight. I emailed him to say: He touched me where I live,
not just on one song but on almost every song.
Nobody ever has done That. Never expected anyone ever would/could.

Fabulous memory -- an honor & a privilege.
MichaelLawlor

Post by MichaelLawlor »

Here is a link to a review on the OC Register website of the April 10 show

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/leon ... hallelujah
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I'm going to Coachella. It should be interesting. I hear the whole Coachella experience itself is somethinn else. I am just going Friday to see Leonard and also Paul mcCartney (but mainly Leonard). I am looking forward to it. I hope you have a good time ocgy.

Frisco
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Squidgy wrote: Boogie Street and My Secret Life ---Sharon Robinson was just superb and soulful.
I LOVE Sharon but please tell me Leonard is still singing In My Secret Life.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by dennisdster »

>i'm still processing most of my thoughts but that had to be one of the finest concert experiences of all time.

I feel the same about the San Diego show, and I've seen everybody (other than the Beatles, and even then I had tickets I couldn't use), and few equal Leonard's performance, grace and manner. To paraphrase Mr. Cohen, I feel honored to have been there.
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

mnkyface, I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. Sharon was solo on Boogie Street, but while harmonizing on Secret Life her voice played off the others and seemed to ring out above them. Leonard was definitely participating.
MrTim

Post by MrTim »

The Setlist for the April 11th show. Amazing.

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who by Fire
Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Waiting for the Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
The Gypsy's Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street (sung by Sharon)
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recited by Leonard)
Take This Waltz

Encores:
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (sung by the Webb Sisters)
Democracy

That Don't Make It Junk
Closing Time

I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen »

Exact same setlist from Friday. Someone earlier mentioned "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye," but he did not perform that on Friday. I can't exactly remember the order of the songs, but that looks pretty damn close too.

Also I'm not sure what the fuss is over the "Tinsel Town" comment. Maybe I'm not old enough but I always understood Tinsel Town to be a mostly harmless nickname for Hollywood. I was born and raised SoCal and never thought of Tinsel Town being offensive in any way.
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
stellablueee

Post by stellablueee »

whenever i think about the show i was lucky enough to experience i will think of it as a beautiful dream. it was so ethereal, and leonard is an inspiration to say the least. everyone on that stage was top caliber.

i was walking out and noticed jay leno holding his wife's hand walking out. for a minute or two i felt what it was like to be jay leno. the people turning and pointing in his wake.
he had been grimacing in pain when i noted him/why i noticed him but he smiled at everyone that approached him.

the sound was impeccable.......and leonard? well i guess there's a reason that he's our man.........!

i did my part to stimulate the economy at the concession stand......no regrets there........the tshirts are thin in a good way, in my opinion. i love my girls tee and the embroidered jacket i went back to the stand for after seeing mike's here.
but the shopping bag is the best! love the art! i'll have to get my butt down to claremont to see that exhibit.

thanks to everyone here for sharing their enthusiasm! i've been following the reviews for this tour from the beginning in eager anticipation. i didn't know if this day would even get here (my only leonard cohen show evah! long time fan tho)
........but it did, and it was even better then i could have ever anticipated. the reviews don't lie, this show is FANTASTIC.

i don't think i can handle coachella as i have an adversion to large groups of humans congregated together with alcohol...
and i don't want to skip my ramblin' jack elliott show at mccabe's........
i'd have to convince myself that everyone will be watching paul mccartney, morrissey and franz ferdinand and that i'd have a chance at the leonard stage.......

anyone here being brave and going? did you know that "the kids" are calling it "oldachella" cuz of leonard and paul? leoanard will whoop their behinds and have energy left over, and without red bull. ha..........

love and hope
lisa
drgeff

Post by drgeff »

Wow, that is all I can really say here, wow...
I have not seen LC before, but was looking forward to this show for a while. I also can not say that have been all that aware of his music, not having owned a single LC LP/CD. But I knew that I wanted to hear him, and when a 2nd row ticket popped up for 130 or so bucks a while back, I thought YES, birthday gift. I took a bit of grief from someone about the money man they were just 100% wrong, it was the best dough I have spent on my self in a while. This was musical church people, this was healing by song. Well, I must say that adjectives really do not do the quality of the show justice, but I will toss a few out:
Sublime, beautiful, ethereal, spiritual... is this the original Jewish Rapper ?
I thought opening up with dance me to the end of love was a brilliant move and it showed how deep his catalog runs, one would think oh he played his best song song first, but then wham... another best song, and then another.
I am not sure which song it was early on but in response to the "white girls dance" line the web sisters actually turned full cartwheels ! Secret life was just amazing, it really got me thinking about all the private thoughts and behaviors that are placed in that zone.. The songs were touching me all along, even found myself on the list Who by fire, thinking about my manner of death by hunger (i'm diabetic and eat too much) and waiting for the miracle was just perfect, I could go on and on here but let me just say thanks to LC and the amazing band he put together as well as the best audience I have seen at a LC concert in many years. I do not think I have see so many of my fellow Jewish Psychologists in one place before in my life. This could easily have been an analytic conference !!!!

Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure for Love
Bird on the Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who by Fire
Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Waiting for the Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
The Gypsy's Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street (sung by Sharon)
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recited by Leonard)
Take This Waltz

Encores:
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (sung by the Webb Sisters)
Democracy

That Don't Make It Junk
Closing Time

I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

stellablueee wrote:...i did my part to stimulate the economy at the concession stand.....the shopping bag is the best! love the art! i'll have to get my butt down to claremont to see that exhibit.
lisa
I bought that wonderful shopping bag at the Friday night concert. I will have it framed. It's the closest I will ever get to owning a Leonard Cohen signed print. After seeing the exhibition in Claremont, I called his art rep in Pasadena about buying a print. The prices are a little too steep for me.

I will hang it next to the San Diego poster which Dino Soldo and Javier Mas signed for me at the early Fan greeting there and then kissed me on the cheek.

This has been the most incredible Leonard Cohen week I will never forget.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

bridger15 wrote: I will hang it next to the San Diego poster which Dino Soldo and Javier Mas signed for me at the early Fan greeting there and then kissed me on the cheek.

This has been the most incredible Leonard Cohen week I will never forget.
Waaaaaait a minute! Forget the signed poster. YOU were kissed on the cheek by BOTH Dino and Javier!!! Holy cow! I thought Phoenix was great but NO kisses in Phoenix! :cry:

Actually I'm thrilled for you and just plain jealous...you lucky gal! :D ;-) :D

All the best,
Diana
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

I was able to successfully post a copy of the 4/11/09 setlist on the setlist thread! I will try and do the same with a few of the photos I took.

I can't compare and contrast the two LA concerts as well as I thought I would be able to do because even though the setlist was virtually the same, the people I was with and the experience (for me anyway) was different. Both magical, that goes without saying.

The first night had all the excitement and anticipation of a 3 year old at a birthday party, or for an adult, the first time one goes to Paris and sees the Eiffel Tower. The second night is still exciting, but (to me anyway) becomes more analytical than just letting it hit all my senses.

I think the first night, although packed, had less of a mob scene feel. I was able to get my drink and my merchandise without much fuss. Last night seemed to be packed to the gills with long lines to everything, and all the merchandise being almost completely sold out (what I went back for, anyway). But at least I walked home with the grand (in my mind) physical (vs. spiritual) momento: the setlist. It helped that I was in the front row of the pit. As soon as I requested and received it (yea!) several other first rowers started begging, and soon they were also blessed with copies.

From an analytical point of view, I noticed a couple of faux pas moments, such as Leonard's short lyric lapse (he quickly recognized it and got it right the next time) on So Long Marianne where for one verse he sang "laughed and cried and laughed and cried" instead of laughed and cried and cried and laughed". But I think we all do that.

What amazed me is his memory and how he could remember all of the lyrics to each song, and even when shout-outs came from the audience, his composure and memory got him quickly back on track with his canned banter. I use the term "canned banter" only in a good way -- because, like his lyrics, they were made with such thought, precision, and kindness.

Oh, it was lovely!
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
MichaelLawlor

Post by MichaelLawlor »

Here is a review of the Friday show from laist.com

http://laist.com/2009/04/11/leonard_coh ... 041009.php

I can't think of the last time I heard someone use the term Tinseltown. That word may be a dated corporate
marketing term from the era of Hollywood glamour and movie stars.

Maybe that reference would resonate more deeply in other cities. People cheered more on Saturday when
he referenced Tinseltown than they did on Friday, when there was almost no response.

I have read that Leonard's house in LA is south of the 10 around Olympic but his music is in a lot movies so
he may have had the Hollywood hustle on his mind.

I saw the Good Thief starring Nick Nolte recently and there is a scene
in which the recording of A Thousand Kisses Deep from Ten New Songs is used.
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

The first comment made to the above review was junk.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”