CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, April 10 and 11

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MKB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, April 10 & 11

Post by MKB »

Wow I am bemused by the reaction to my compulsion to share in real time. I am a music writer and photographer so I am an expert at capturing the vibe while not annoying others. I have written quite a few articles in the heat of battle. Go to MichaelBreen.com and click on my concerts list. Needs updating but I hope it helps build trust in my abilities. Led Zeppelin 1977 first concert!
Teratogen

Post by Teratogen »

There is not much I will say about the concert. Being only 26 it was damn near impossible for me to have ever seen Cohen before (as if Cohen was in my playlist at age 12) and I am still sort of trying to piece together all the emotions of the evening. While I was slightly disappointed that there were no songs from Death of a Ladies' Man (which I absolutely didn't expect him to do anyway) everything else was just absolutely marvelous. My favorites of this show had to be "Famous Blue Raincoat," "The Partisan," "Waiting for the Miracle," and the incredible version of "If It Be Your Will," performed exclusively by the Webb sisters and the keyboardist; and yes, I echo the sentiments of MKB in that the Webb sisters were extraordinarily attractive. :D

I was glad to also hear "So Long, Marianne," not that it's a top favorite, but it's one I'd been specifically listening to for the last few weeks for some reason or other I cannot really place. Just a note to anyone still waiting to see their shows (and I'm sure this has been mentioned several times before): there are two "sets." They take a break and then towards what seems to be the end of the second set Leonard briskly skips off stage after a song, then as people get up to leave he skips back on stage to do another song or two, then skips back off. This happens quite a few times before the actual end of the show. Just remember, concerts never end until the house lights come up!!! Just stick in your seat for a while until you are SURE that it's over!!!

I noticed some people were complaining about the Will Call ticket line. I arrived shortly after 5pm and there was NO ONE waiting at the ticket counter. I got up there by my lonesome and it took like a minute tops. One complaint I did have though was that none of the ushers or security knew ANYTHING about fan club members being let in early. The doors to the building opened at 6, but that was for everyone. The doors to the actual venue did not open. Someone walked by and said, "I guess now it's 6:30." My friend and I got to talking to someone until a quarter to 7 but I still saw no one go in. So I asked and they said there was no early entrance that they were aware of.

All in all, however, this is a show I will never forget in my lifetime and I am very, very, very pleased with how the show turned out. Leonard was also very active for being 74! Getting down on his knees a lot, skipping on and off stage, sometimes even running! I made a joke before the show with my friend about him not doing much on stage because of his age and I said, "Well, I don't expect him to dance or anything." But during "The Future," when he sang the line "and the white man dancing," he actually danced. I busted up laughing. :lol:

Well, like I always do, I intended not to say much about the show but I went off on a rant. Anyway, those who went I hope you had as marvelous a time as I did and I hope those going tomorrow or to any other future shows on this tour have a marvelous time as well. :)
"Rock and roll is dead, but I am its revival. I'm prophesied by sages died, from Buddha to the Bible." --TERATOGEN
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen (music page)
http://www.myspace.com/teratogen666 (personal page)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/TheNoHoldsBard?ref=profile (Facebook page)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

APRIL 10 show
Disclaimer: I was so emotionally involved in the majesty of the LC concert, my memory may not be the greatest.

I found the LA show more dynamic than the one in San Diego – some changes and some surprises. LC seemed to be having more fun in LA.

I’m your man
And if you want another kind of love
(Doffing his hat, smiling widely, eyes twinkling)
I’ll wear an old man’s face for you

Tower of Song
Ah they dont let a woman kill you
Not in the tower of song
---chuckles, speaks---
but that doesn’t apply elsewhere

Ain’t No Cure for Love
‘broken church’

Waiting for the Miracle
Added, Not included in San Diego.

So wonderful to hear this in concert. Dino Soldo played yet another instrument, which looked like it might be a cors anglais. Did anyone else recognize it? A brass instrument with reeds, that looked similar to an oboe.

Hallelujah
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to TINSELTOWN to fool you

I didn’t think that choice for LA went over well.

Retained “It’s not Junk” from San Diego.

I can’t remember what was ommited at either venue. I know there was no "Sisters of Mercy" at either.

Only two full band intro’s and with some new wording.
Example:
Neil Larsen .... an accomplished musician in his own right.

Famous people
According to one security man, Jay Leno was there. Also, the taller of Penn and Teller.

Fan early entrance
It looked like anyone who came early was allowed in. In SD, only those declaring themselves “Fans” were let in early.

Texting
A guy next to me was doing that all night. Because I was floating on the ceiling, in no pain, it didn't bother me.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

MEB wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:I am a bit bemused by this blow by blow report of the concert. I am wondering how you can fully enjoy the concert, savour every moment and drink in the atmosphere if you're busy texting or e-mailing whatever throughout it? Would be interested to know what other people think.

Wendy
Must admit I find it a little odd too and I know if I was sitting beside someone texting, email etc. during the show I would find it a little irritating.
It's not that weird, really. I also write in a Radiohead forum, where they completely change their setlist every night (same set is never played twice, setlists are hardly similar to each other). There we have live updates for every show pretty much. people do it and still enjoy.
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Sounds like another incredible experience. I, for one, was thrilled with your "live" posts to the forum. The anticipation for my upcoming concert (you know, 'cause he'll be singing just to me, sigh... :) ) is so great, this was a treat to in a sense be there already. I can't stop thinking about what it will be like! So, thank you very much for your posts.

Sure nobody wants to fly up to Seattle for the April 23 show? There are still a handful of front row seats available on scalper websites - most right around face value. Hope to see somebody there! :)
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

Annette Benning was also in the audience, without Warren (at least I didn't see him).

Bridger (or anyone) what was the full lines LC said when he described his recent philosophical pursuits, then saying something like he was too "cheerful".

Yeah the words "tinsel town" -- I think something a little more Raymond Chandler-esque might have been better.

I'm still soaking it all in and can't wait for round 2 this evening, so will let others give the blow by blows.

I will mention that I met up with an old high school friend at intermission who had plans to go somewhere else this evening, but she and the people she was with were so blown away after the first hour, they're changing plans.

My husband, who really didn't know a lot about LC's music, became a convert. He's been listening to LC CDs in the car that I've been playing for the last couple of weeks, and enjoying the music for the first time. His comment after the show was that he thought LC's voice had mellowed and improved -- was much better than his original recordings -- "not like Dylan" (who never could sing all that well, but over the years can't even speak his songs with any recognizable words). I agree with him.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
the vox

Post by the vox »

first time poster, here...

i attended the show last night and left absolutely enraptured. i'm still processing most of my thoughts but that had to be one of the finest concert experiences of all time.
surfergirl wrote:
Bridger (or anyone) what was the full lines LC said when he described his recent philosophical pursuits, then saying something like he was too "cheerful".
it was something like this:
"i spent time dabbling in religion and the philosophical pursuits of man - but cheerfulness kept breaking through."

anyone have a full set list of the show?
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

surfergirl wrote: Bridger (or anyone) what was the full lines LC said when he described his recent philosophical pursuits, then saying something like he was too "cheerful".
That was one of the changes to his usual set patter. Alas, the audience kept laughing all through the list of medications and his investigation of various philosophies, that like you, I couldn’t make out what he said. But, you are correct, it was different
Yeah the words "tinsel town" -- I think something a little more Raymond Chandler-esque might have been better.
I think “Tinsel Town” is perjorative and a lot of locals may not have appreciated it.
My husband … thought LC's voice had mellowed and improved -- was much better than his original recordings --. I agree with him
I also agree with him. We are so lucky to have the Live in London DVD, CD’s and be present at his current concerts.

On a personal note, starting with the Beacon hysteria months ago, all I talked about was my concern with the tour schedule - would he perform in LA or close by?--, the ticketmaster nonsense --would I be able to get a ticket? And now the crowning glory this week- two concerts, both with a Pit seat. My son's name is also Leonard. Now, when my son sends me an email, he signs it, "The other Leonard".

surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

Thanks for the Vox for his/her memory; thanks to Bridger for her additional comments (sorry I missed calling, I forgot to take the no. w/me!).

And for those wondering about the showtimes and Nokia protocol: show started "promptly" at 8:15 p.m.; ended at 11:30 p.m., and ushers/staff were instructed NOT to seat anyone in the middle of a song. So late comers, drinks and pee breakers, etc. had to wait inside the entry to the hall until the end of a song before heading back to their seats.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
MichaelLawlor

Post by MichaelLawlor »

Here is a link to a review by Ann Power on latimes.com of the April 10 show in Los Angeles.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... ohn-c.html
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

surfergirl wrote:and ushers/staff were instructed NOT to seatng anyone in the middle of a song. So late comers, drinks and pee breakers, etc. had to wait inside the entry to the hall until the end of a song before heading back to their seats.
UNFORTUNATELY, that was not the protocol in the Pit section, The ushers let anyone in at any time. Very annoying but I was so psyched, I got over it quickly.

What surprised me were the number of people in the Pit section who (1) left during the concert, returned during the concert and were seated (noblesse oblige?) (2) left before all the encores were completed - to beat the parking rush, perhaps? Fine with me, my sightline improved each time. But LC could see these Philistines in the Pit front rows standing up and leaving while he was still performing.

bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Re: April 11 concert, a favor

Please post your reports asap during/after the concert tonight.
I am flying out very early on Sunday morning to play in a big BRIDGE Tournament for a week. I would love to read all your reports before I leave.

---bridger15

MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Sounds like Leonard wowed them in LA too.

Could someone help with the set list? This is from San Diego. It sounded like Waiting for the Miracle was the 9th song? Did it replace something or was it an addition?

First Set

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting For The Miracle
Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Anthem

Second Set

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
Take This Waltz

Encores

So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Democracy
That Don't Make It Junk
Closing Time
I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest
Marie
Speaking Cohen
truthseeker2032

Post by truthseeker2032 »

I was there last night and I had an amazing time. This was my first time seeing Leonard Cohen in concert. Cohen looked like he was having a lot of fun. He seemed to have a boundless amount of energy. I enjoyed watching him prance on and off the stage. And I was caught off-guard when the Webb sisters did their gymnastics routine.

A previous post mentioned Jay Leno. I saw someone who looked like him - couldn't mistake that chin and white hair.

I took the Metro train from downtown L.A. to Pasadena. I saw one of the most beautiful girls on the train ride. She had short, French style hair and big earrings. What a way to end a glorious evening.
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Teratogen: Thanks for your enthusiatic and decidedly unscary comments. Much appreciated. Sorry I was such a snit earlier.
surfergirl: Missed hearing from you. Gypsy_wife our kids and I had a wonderful meetup earlier in the day. But it sounds like you had a great time and I'm glad.
Re: People coming in late and crawling over our feet to get to their seats: Folks did this through the entire first set, almost right up to intermission. I was so annoyed....I really felt the ushers should have made those people stand up in the back UNTIL intermission, and then seat them. There's just no excuse to come to any event a half hour, or even an hour late, and then disrupt the enjoyment of others.

At first I was a little nonplussed by the huge monitors, which I thought would distract from the stage, but then realized I was wrong. I really enjoyed the closeups, the fabulous lighting, and the artistry in the monitoring ---watching the facial expressions of the mandolin player and his interactions with Leonard, the amazing work of Dino Soldo on sax and woodwinds, and of course the Webb sisters and Sharon. I got the distinct impression that they might have been making a video of the concert.
The monitor shots , the fades and segues, were just exquisite. My son, a professional photographer and filmmaker, was really impressed.

Al in all, an experience I'll never forget.
He performed pretty much everything I wanted to hear (well, the entire songbook would have taken a few days) Two more I would have liked to hear were Joan of Arc and Lover, Lover---but no complaints here, no sirree.

Favorite moments: All of them !! But for me, it had to be the jazz retooling of Bird on The Wire. Dino Soldo on sax just blew me away, as did Leonard's "epilogue". Also, Famous Blue Raincoat. The Partisan !!! OMG!!! Passionate and truthful, made me want to rejoin my old comrades and start a revolution !! Very intense and personal for me....... And If It Be Your Will--with the harp!!..... Boogie Street and My Secret Life ---Sharon Robinson was just superb and soulful.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”