CONCERT REPORT: San Diego, April 7

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
surfergirl

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San Diego, April 7

Post by surfergirl »

Did they say they might be doing this in LA?
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
MKB

Cartwheels in San Diego

Post by MKB »

Ah so I missed Whither Thou Goest! Agh.
Cartwheels in San Diego happened in a different place than I read they did in Austin.
LC did something I missed (that got a laugh), must have been a dance, after he sang "...and the white man dancin' " on The Future.
Then when they brought the verse back around he sang "...and the white girls dancin" and the singing sisters did this one-handed back-flip thing that got a reaction from the crowd kind of like "oh so it's gonna be like THAT!"
I think that was the beginning of things really starting to happen happen.
They definitely looked cute with their coats off.
bakagaijinartist

Post by bakagaijinartist »

My wife Sharon and I attended the concert and considered ourselves blessed to have had watched the master perform. Unlike other rock-and-roll hall of famers who prance around the stage as if we're still back in the 70's, it is clear that Leonard is comfortable in his old skin. He sang the old songs in his new voice (the voice of wisdom), which gave them new meaning. As a result, he showed all the old farts in the audience as well as the young whippersnappers that in this day of botox and short attention spans it is possible to grow old gracefully. We bought the program and one t-shirt to share. After we drove home I tried on the shirt and we had a good laugh as I told her it looked like Leonard had a pot belly or a big chest!
BKoffman

Post by BKoffman »

A triumph show. Drove down from OC. Well worth it. The intensity and the connection with the crowd reminded me of the unforgettable Janis Joplin concert I saw in Montreal. Another worker in song.

The fourth time I have seen LC including his last tour, and this was by far the best concert. He sounded great. He delivered the goods. The band was perfect. Lovely setting. Sat in the balcony. Great sight lines and acoustics, and the binoculars helped.

If you are interested in my 2 tickets for April 17 at Coachella where LC appears with Paul McCartney and many others, please email me at bkoffmanMD@gmail.com Should also be a wonderful, if very different show. I can't make it, and will sell them at below my cost. You won't regret it.

Any way, if you have any tickets for any of the upcoming show, you are in for a treat.
MKB

Post by MKB »

Am at LA show LC just finished Waiting For A Miracle as song 9 first diversion from SD list
Met with Lonnie again he is Production Manager for AEG (touring company) not Tour Manager as I erroneously presumed.
As he put it so eloquently (after I gently asked after tickets for tomorrow) he handles "from the barricades out" i.e. the house.
Heartdog

Post by Heartdog »

I am one lucky and blessed gal, and feeling so enormously grateful to have gotten a chance to see the best show ever! I had posted my woes on obtaining tickets here, where it's never a picnic dealing with that big ticket monopoly, but especially difficult for people with disabilities. I could not get anything. But a bit of serendipity happened, and someone passed on my dilemma to Leonard's management, and in a very gracious act, two seats were bestowed upon me.

I didn't know how good until I got there. I was happy to just be there, but imagine my shock to learn that they were third row pit seats! My mother got to accompany me, and she's not that familiar with Leonard's music, so that was really cool taking her. She's certainly a fan, now. And that's her generation, so she did recognize some of the songs. Wow, what an amazing show!! I can't believe he did three whole hours! His voice is in great form, the band was awesome, the lighting gorgeous. Truly an experience I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

I have a blog post about it at http://myheartdog.com I debated taking my Service dog, but thought it might be too loud that close. It probably would've been ok, but at the end when people came down front, that might've been harder with him. I just went with it and got up close myself for the last encores. I think I got the last set list, too! But it would've been cool to say my dog has seen Leonard Cohen, too ; ) He's seen U2, and some musicals like the Lion King.

Definitely a night to remember forever!!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

You may wonder why I am posting in August about a concert that took place last April.
Because, I just received access to two photos taken at the Fan early entry. The story goes like this. First to repeat part of my original San Diego concert post.
I was one of the early Fans to enter the Merch section and bought a few things, including a poster specific to San Diego. As I was about to leave, one of the crew, a nice girl from Toronto wearing a fedora and the Unified heart security badge around her neck, kindly suggested I hang around for a while as there will be a surprise. And the surprise was – some band members came out to the Merch area to meet Fan members.
The first two were Dino Soldo and Javier Mas. She introduced me to both...
I did not have a camera. Before the entry time, I met a fan, not a Forum member, who was there early because he flew down from the Bay area. I invited him to come in early with me. I turned to this lovely man and asked if he had a cell phone that takes pictures. He said yes, but first he had to figure out how, then snapped two photos. Then he announced he would have to figure out how to get the photos out of the cell phone.

That never happened. A few answered and unanswered emails later, he wrote that he never figured it out and anyway, he no longer uses that phone. Long story short, I asked him to mail me the cell phone, which he did. I walked into the closest BigName Cell store, paid to get the phone reactivated in my name and asked for instructions to get the photos out. As most of you already know, the answer is email. This reminds me of an old joke. Do you know why Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years? He wouldn't ask for directions.

The picture quality is not great, but I am THRILLED to have them. Here is the better of the two.
Attachments
Javier Mas, Dino Soldo San Diego, April 7,09
Javier Mas, Dino Soldo San Diego, April 7,09
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Arlene,

What a fabulous picture of you, Javier, and Dino from San Diego! But, even more than the picture, what an incredible story of how you obtained it! Just goes to show that when one sets their mind to achieve a goal...nothing can stand in the way....at least not YOUR way! ;-)

All the best,
Diana
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Arlene - nice picture of all three. It was worth the effort.

And you are now the proud owner of a used cell phone? :lol: :lol:
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Arlene,

I loved hearing how you overcame all obstacles to obtain this priceless photo! It's always so special to put a face to the name. Thank you for the story and the photo.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”