Lullaby

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Jonnie Falafel

Lullaby

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

Lots of references to the new song! Please tell me more! What did you like about it?
IrishMar

Re: Lullaby

Post by IrishMar »

Did anyone get the opportunity to record it?
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Detour

Post by Detour »

I watched one person go down front and off to the left to video record it in Dallas. This person took video recordings of several songs, and was never asked to stop, even though they were standing near security. I was somewhat surprised by that. I expect it will show up on youtube sometime.

The song is lovely. A soft ballad. It felt like a goodbye to me. I cried. Actually, I was moved to tears more than once at the Dallas show, and Lullaby got a brief sob from deep in my gut. I felt deeply honored to be hearing such a beautiful new song. All my hairs gave standing ovation. Still have a lump in my throat thinking of it.

It lingers...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I can't believe that Leonard has dropped Lullaby from the setlist before we've even had a chance to hear it, if the latest concert reports are to be believed. He can't do this to us ..

Leonard: please can we have Lullaby back??

W
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Great review by Laura Lea Nalle of the Austin concert at

http://www.lauraleanalle.com/content/view/64/3/

But expect to spend some time on her site. She's an artist and her site is very unique and very beautiful. At the bottom of the review, she also has a link to a photo gallery of great pictures of the concert. However, on point, this is what she says about Lullaby.
Then we hear the beginnings of a very special debut of a new unreleased song, “Lullaby” which is a down tempo tune with a triplet feel that weaves an exquisite dance of slide guitar, harmonica, and B-3 while Cohen croons, “When it’s much too late, and we’ve taken our stand, when they call out your name, we’ll go hand in hand. If your heart is torn, who can wonder why? If the night is long, here is my lullaby, here’s my lullaby.”
Marie
Speaking Cohen
findingtime

Post by findingtime »

Megan, you seem to be on top of all of this stuff so maybe you can answer a question for me. What is the song that Leonard sang in Austin on the first night that begins with the line, "I can't break the code of our frozen love"? Is that from Lullaby?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Hey, findingtime. Nope, I don't know any more than anyone else. I just asked for a confirmation of the title of the new song so we wouldn't be calling it by the wrong name for weeks. But in an interview with Rolling Stone, Leonard played a song called Lullaby for the interviewer and he wrote a verse in his article --

Through a net of lies, I'll come to you.
When the dead arise, I will wait there too.
If your heart is torn, who can wonder why?
If the night is long, here's my lullaby.

Hopefully somone out there worked some youtube magic and got the song.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
canuck

Post by canuck »

Call me a contrarian but I hope I never see this on You Yube (or at least not until it's officially released).

Leonard puts so much care into the crafting and presentations of his songs, it'd be a shame if the world experiences it first through some third rate "shakey-cam" with audience noise over the top.

I know I'm in the minority here but I also have real ethical problems with people stealing an artist's work (especially before the artist profits from it). Leonard should get to choose how his songs are released to the world. I can wait.

(And no, I don't think the argument that performing it before an audience automatically means it's public domain holds water).
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

If you look into another thread, you'll see that Grand Prairie show is recorded from the audience, and the song also... Now many are waiting for the upload to dimeadozen eagerly:)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Canuck ~

If/when this song gets to YouTube, I'll watch it and enjoy it through all the audience interference; however, for the reasons you've given, I agree with your stance on it. Who knows but what this is the very reason Leonard may have pulled it from his setlist. If so, I couldn't blame him.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

I must admit, I would watch it/enjoy it & having done so, would not be deterred from buying the official recorded version, should there ever be one. I imagine it's this way for the majority of us LC devotees.

By the evidence of his actions, Leonard doesn't seem terribly possesive of his work - he recently enthusiastically insisted on playing new songs to jouranlists & has frequently posted yet-to-be published works on the Blackening Pages. I love LCs generosity! Compare him to Dylan who jealously guards new compositions - he's touring now with a new album imminent, but we won't hear those works live until Sony has officially released them.

I'm totally committed to artists deriving maximum benefit from their output - I hold a BPS licence to play CDs in my business, I never buy my music from the multiples who pass "their" discounts back down the chain (e.g. The egregious Walmart) - I'll listen to the bootlegs with a clear conscience.

Thank You Leonard.
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

Marie, thanks for posting the Laura Lea Nalle link. I am awed by her talent and really appreciated her articulate and detailed review, as well as her inclusion of Lullaby.
My best,
Eve
olsenrd82

Post by olsenrd82 »

Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks so much for posting this new song. To me it feels like he is saying, "I know life didn't all live up to our dreams, but I'm going to stay and comfort you anyway." This is so beautiful. Can't stop playing it.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

You've just nailed it Diane, brilliant.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”