CONCERT REPORT: Grand Prairie, April 3

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Grand Prairie, April 3

Post by MaryB »

Just to add a note with regard to people being moved to the floor level from the balconey. A Nokia staff member told me that they had sold 2900 tickets for this show out of 6000. By moving everyone to the floor level, it made the whole experience so much more intimate in this huge venue :D . A number of attendees had commented on 'why Grand Prairie/Dallas', which is not a musical town on the level of Austin. Being a city of 6 million residents, the projection for ticket sales probably warranted the choice of the Nokia as a venue. Sadly, this did not happen :cry: . Oh well, this turned into our gain by almost creating a small venue atmosphere :D .

BTW, my brother and his wife, who are in the music business and LC fans, almost did not attend because of apprehension about the sound quality at this venue (which they have frequented). My husband and I sat on the right, closer to the stage, my brother a third of the way back, in the center. I had reassured my brother about sound quality at LC concerts that we had already attended.......with silent trepidation because none of the venues had been 'large'. At intermission, the first thing my brother had commented on was the impeccable sound quality, 'probably because we were in the center'. Let me tell you, the sound was perfect even on the side, close to speakers. So, anyone concerned about this factor in attending an LC concert in a large venue, 'be not afraid my friend' and enjoy to your heart's content!

Kindest regards,
Mary

(P.S. Also wanted to note one more additional item. When the pre-sale people were allowed in early, I noticed a lot of members looking at each other as if to say, "Are you a member? Who are you on the Forum? I would like to talk to you, but an approach feels almost awkward." Being spoiled by the Beacon interactions, I truly missed this part of the whole LC experience :cry: . Soooo, for those of you planning to attend a future LC concert - arrange meetups!!!!!!!! You will not regret it and it will enrich the fantastic concert you will be attending!)
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
capofrank

Post by capofrank »

While being online the TV over my shoulder reported that there is an arts recession in the Dallas area...that people are not putting money into shows, and that the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, in particular, is hyper when it comes to donations.

I think a little more promotion would have helped, but I don't know whether the promoters were interested in telling the Dallas Fort Worth area that Leonard's alive, still fabulous, and playing locally.

I too was part of the crowd that eyed each other, wondering who these people were on the Forum. A little organization prior to the show might have been appropriate. Oh well, we all had a ton of fun.
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

I figured that eventually some of this tour would come up on Youtube, and just found a few videos, including the one linked below. Not the whole song, but this person has posted just enough so people who went to this show can have a few deja vu moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCDxpfM ... re=related
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
yrfuneralmytrial

Post by yrfuneralmytrial »

Posted my review already but am really enjoying reading other's experiences. It's kind of funny how we're coming together to tell and retell like we've survived an accident or something. I too have been to a million shows and this one truly was above and beyond.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

capofrank wrote: I too was part of the crowd that eyed each other, wondering who these people were on the Forum. A little organization prior to the show might have been appropriate. Oh well, we all had a ton of fun.
Hello capofrank,

We probably eyed you at sometime, sorry for staring :lol: . Maybe we should have just walked in with a name tag plastered on us - how weird would that have been ;-) :lol: ? So many opportunities to meet each other - lost :cry: . In addition to the concert, eyeing each other was a ton of fun also :) .

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Surfergirl,

Thanks for posting the YouTube link. It's always so nice to see a video done with a steady hand!
Like so many people, out of the sheer excitement, if I took one, it would be jiggling all over the place, :roll: so I leave it to the pros. Even so, ANY LC video is greatly appreciated :D !

Best regards,
Mary
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Sorry to keep adding things as we go along, but all of a sudden the memory kicks into gear again :roll: . If I am wrong on the following recollections, please correct me!

During 'Ain't No Cure For Love', LC changed the lyrics from 'walked into an empty church' to broken church.

In the talk to introduce 'Anthem', instead of Y2K, LC said YK2, not once but twice to the high amusement of the other band members.

There seemed to have been 'variations' (for want of a better word) in Dino Soldo's solos, especially during 'Dance Me To The End Of Love' (which LC really seemed to enjoy) and 'Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye' (hauntingly beautiful)

And here's one for you liverpolken - Neil Larsen on accordion during 'The Partisan'. I don't remember an accordion in the previous concerts - was I so blinded by the majesty of the shows that I just didn't notice?

Just little snippets from the show which hopefully might interest someone.

Best regards,
Mary
capofrank

Post by capofrank »

Yes, Mary...

Yes, it is interesting how he changes the literal symbolism of a line in a song by either his deliberate or accidental improvisation. This is one thing that fascinates me.

You are right about Leonard's obvious pleasure with some of the performances around him, like Dino Soldo's solos. It's enough to titillate the gut to speculate that this may not be his farewell tour, that his prancing about is a sign/body/dance language of sorts.

Interpretation or mood is always interesting. A song like 'The Future' could be sung and generally performed like a dreadful tome of things to come. And it didn't seem, to me, to be performed with the intent to squeeze out the doom and gloom aspect of the song. Especially with the Webb Sisters going gyro at a specific point in the song. And yes, Leonard's change in the song lyrics where he now sings 'give me careless sex', to me it's old lyrics and attitude was far more punk.

'Shove it up a hole in your cul-kha...' always got a smile out of me, the way he says the word 'culture'.

Anyway, it seems we're all still reacting to it. I'm reading the words written about San Diego, etc., and I'm glad to see he's out to please.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hey capofrank,

Thanks for your well put post. You say it so much better than I do. Hope to hear more from you on this Forum!

Kindest regards,
Mary
DrHGuy

Changes in lyrics to "The Future"

Post by DrHGuy »

The changes in the lyrics to "The Future" may or may not reflect some shift in Leonard Cohen's style or perspective, but those changes aren't specific to this tour or even this decade. Bowdlerized versions of “Give me crack and anal sex” in “The Future” (the lead track on “The Future” album, released in 1992) date back at least as early as 1993. Leonard Cohen’s February 12, 1993 performance of the song on CBC’s “Friday Night with Ralph Benmurgui,”4 for example, replaces “Give me crack and anal sex” with “Give me speed and careless sex.” The official video clip for “The Future,” released by Sony Music Entertainment (Canada) in 1993, takes a different tack altogether. Rather than substitute different words in the lyrics, the video (at least all the video versions I’ve seen) instead beeps out the audio of “crack” and “anal sex” and replaces the interior letters of those same words in the captions with dashes (see below).
Screenshot from official Sony video of "The Future" 1993
Screenshot from official Sony video of "The Future" 1993
officialvidfuture3.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 12823 times
On the other hand, the use of the "careless sex" version in the 2008-9 tour is in contrast to the 1993 and 1997 tours when Cohen sang the original line, “Give me crack and anal sex” in at least some, if not all concerts. The original lyrics are sung in bootlegs of performances in Oslo in 1993 and in Los Angeles during both the 1993 and 1997 tours as well as in the video of the 1993 Zurich concert. The flexible lyrics of "The Future" is the subject of my post: http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/02/13/what- ... he-future/
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

LC also changed the lyric to "careless sex" when he performed The Future on Jools Holland's Later programme for the BBC back at the time of The Future tour back in the early 90s. Understandable on TV, but not so much in a live performance to an adult audience.

I've wondered whether the more recent continuation of this "self-censorial" change is now more on account of a concern that the original "anal sex" lyric might be interpreted as anti-gay? If so, I have never interpreted it as such, naturally assuming the protagonist of the song to be an exaggerated form of Cohen himself and, as such, self-evidently heterosexual in his leanings.

Anyway, I prefer the original lyric, which somehow has more force, and would like to see it back.

It seems a bit like changing The Doors Light My Fire to "girl we couldn't get much closer" or the VU's Venus In Furs to "smokestack girlchild (but nevertheless above the legal age of consent) in the dark".

I've now read your essay, DrHG, and still persist in disagreeing with the suggestion that "careless sex" is not a "whimp-out" effete lyric compared with the original. It just about still "hangs" to evoke the original intention of the phrase and scans, but it unquestionably lacks the original "shock" effect of the first choice.

Now you could argue that the original lyric reference to "anal sex" does require that both the writer and audience categorise that particular form of sex as perverse, abnormal or unnatural when compared with the more traditional modes of intercourse and for that reason it is unacceptable in the 21st Century. Perhaps that is the correct position to take on it. I don't know. But I do know the original lyric would still feel a bit of a radical and daring "slap in the face" even today whilst the new version passes me by barely noticed.
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

For the record, I prefer the original lines as well. Ah, "crack and anal sex" - good times. (For that matter, I also prefer early Elvis to Las Vegas Elvis.)

My point was and continues to be only that there exists a reasonable alternative explanation to the prevalent assumption that the change in lyrics is solely the result of censorship, imposed for whatever reason.
olsenrd82

Post by olsenrd82 »

Being a city of 6 million residents, the projection for ticket sales probably warranted the choice of the Nokia as a venue. Sadly, this did not happen
i have friends who wanted to go but didn't because of the ticket price(s). even the cheapest tickets were more expensive than they had ever paid for a single concert.

that makes me wonder how many other fans wanted to go but just couldn't. it makes me wonder if that empty balcony could have been filled with jovial faces instead of darkness.

LC and his management have the right to set whatever price they want. they could have charged double for the performance they gave that night. i just take exception with suggesting (in essence) that there are only 2900 fans out of 6,000,000 people in the north texas area because i know that is not true.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

DrHGuy wrote:For the record, I prefer the original lines as well. Ah, "crack and anal sex" - good times. (For that matter, I also prefer early Elvis to Las Vegas Elvis.)

My point was and continues to be only that there exists a reasonable alternative explanation to the prevalent assumption that the change in lyrics is solely the result of censorship, imposed for whatever reason.
Thanks for clarifying your position.

I've no doubt that this is a conscious choice of LC rather than one of external censorship. I guess the reason is either a revision of his take on relative "standards of taste" in the original line, or is based on its potential homophobic or sexually prescriptive connotations. Alternatively, he might just have decided the original line has "passed its moment", lost its shock value or that he no longer wishes to give the line quite the same level of emphasis in the song as a whole that the original wording provided.

Now, is he being anal about this or are we? :D
capofrank

Post by capofrank »

olsenrd82 wrote:
Being a city of 6 million residents, the projection for ticket sales probably warranted the choice of the Nokia as a venue. Sadly, this did not happen
i have friends who wanted to go but didn't because of the ticket price(s). even the cheapest tickets were more expensive than they had ever paid for a single concert.

that makes me wonder how many other fans wanted to go but just couldn't. it makes me wonder if that empty balcony could have been filled with jovial faces instead of darkness.

LC and his management have the right to set whatever price they want. they could have charged double for the performance they gave that night. i just take exception with suggesting (in essence) that there are only 2900 fans out of 6,000,000 people in the north texas area because i know that is not true.
I noticed that Rod (The Mod) Stewart is playing the NOKIA, and that the ticket spread has the cheapest seats not as cheap as what the Cohen concert offered. In balance, the more expensive seats were not as high as the small camp in the Cohen concert.

Some people prefer clubs to get away from high prices. Some recall the 60's and 70's where tickets were 7 to 10 dollars. Obviously ticket prices have not stayed in balance with inflation, the worst issue being the monster charge the Ticketmaster people plonk onto the collective charges. (Hopefully this government will study the merger issues and the near monopoly or duopoly status these firms possess.)

There has to be a better way to where everyone can make a healthy dollar without highway robbery. Cheap seats in what used to be called the peanut gallery (as what my drama teacher used to call it) should become a tradition, again.

I'm sorry that the seat prices were too high for you. I just want you to know that this is something that isn't being passively observed.

Someday, when we've past on, there will be a federal theatre system, and a ticket system that adds a mild adjunct to the price. If not a federal system, a system created by the donations of those who leave their life(s) wanting to give back. I am dreaming. A Cohen fan habit.

PS I hope this hasn't offended anyone.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”