CONCERT REPORT: Grand Prairie, April 3

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
capofrank

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Grand Prairie, April 3

Post by capofrank »

olsenrd82 wrote:
Being a city of 6 million residents, the projection for ticket sales probably warranted the choice of the Nokia as a venue. Sadly, this did not happen
i have friends who wanted to go but didn't because of the ticket price(s). even the cheapest tickets were more expensive than they had ever paid for a single concert.

that makes me wonder how many other fans wanted to go but just couldn't. it makes me wonder if that empty balcony could have been filled with jovial faces instead of darkness.

LC and his management have the right to set whatever price they want. they could have charged double for the performance they gave that night. i just take exception with suggesting (in essence) that there are only 2900 fans out of 6,000,000 people in the north texas area because i know that is not true.
I suggest that if you are in the Dallas area to check out TITAS, a non-profit arts group that brings dance, folk, blues, and the likes of Laurie Anderson. Balcony seats are as low as $14.

http://www.titas.org/
ProfNowlin

Post by ProfNowlin »

DrHGuy and UrPal: Fascinating discussion about the change from "anal" to "careless" in "The Future" -- ah, the unique joys of Cohenian hermeneutics! Whether the change of lyric is itself more indicative of carelessness or of anality is hard to tell. Knowing L.C., though, I suspect the change is quite purposeful, and blunting the possible offensiveness of the line (vis-a-vis homosexuality, especially) seems a likely motive. Pertinent to this discussion is a risque, albeit convoluted, interpretation I once read somewhere of lines from "Take This Waltz," specifically: "In the cave at the tip of the lilly / In some hallway where love's never been." Unfortunately I can't remember now where I ran across what was a decidedly Freudian reading of these lines, but I recall thinking to myself: Come on, now, sometimes a cave at the tip of the lilly is just a cave at the tip of the lilly, and a hallway is just a hallway.

Brian
capofrank

Post by capofrank »

In your opinion, did you find the Grand Prairie show to be superior to the official 'Live In London' release?

I have listened to the bootleg of the April 3rd show, and I haven't come to a conclusion. My wife says that because the 'Live In London' release was so early in the tour schedule, that they had honed the show down and was actually better in later shows.

When I hear "Boogie Street" from April 3rd, I begin to believe my wife.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

DrHGuy wrote:For the record, I prefer the original lines as well. Ah, "crack and anal sex" - good times. (For that matter, I also prefer early Elvis to Las Vegas Elvis.)

My point was and continues to be only that there exists a reasonable alternative explanation to the prevalent assumption that the change in lyrics is solely the result of censorship, imposed for whatever reason.
Hey DrH, I read this comment posted on the "Leonard Cohen faints in Valencia concert" video link on YouTube and thought it might appeal to your sense of humour:
Distasteful?

Leonard Cohen wrote a number of songs that people would describe as 'distasteful'.

The one about crack cocaine and annual sex for a start.
The alternative lyrics to The Future are beginning to form in my mind already...

"I see the future, baby, it is irregular...." ;-)
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Outstanding.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”