What to wear?

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Detour

What to wear?

Post by Detour »

Having never seen Cohen live before I'm unsure how to answer this question for a friend who is considering not going. Might be my fault for telling her I was getting out my best LBD for the show I'm going to - now she doesn't want to go because she says she has nothing nice enough to wear and no money to buy anything new. She was planning jeans & t-shirt. So is it casual or dressup?
lizzytysh

Re: What to wear?

Post by lizzytysh »

Either/Or/All of the Above ~ It's whatever you choose. Just Do NOT let your friend stay home for such an irrelevant reason. Some [especially some of the oldsters, who've been around Cohen's music from the beginning, it seems] preferring wearing all black... this includes jeans and t-shirt. If that's how she goes, she'll be so 'in' ~ AND the bonus is that she's ready to go when she buys that Leonard Cohen t-shirt. No concerns about putting it under her seat and having it stolen ~ like happened to some poor guy at the Beacon. It was dreadful reading about it... so just tell her to come prepared with enough for one t-shirt and then she couldn't possibly be more appropriate. Lacking those ideas, t-shirt of any kind and jeans of any kind will be great! The main thing is that she be there in her chair. Don't let her miss the chance of a lifetime. This is not a dress rehearsal... any rags and the night will be fine.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Hats seem to have been quite popular for obvious reasons .. just be careful not to block the view of the people behind you

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Detour

Post by Detour »

Thanks for the quick reply's! I will tell her black jeans & T will be fine, and that's great because we will match. I don't have any black jeans so will stick with the LBD. Wonderful, thanks again!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OK, I give. W?H!A?T! is an LBD!?!

Good black jeans are abundant at great prices at any thrift shop... if you care to match ;-) .

Great to hear we don't need to worry about her being No-Show 8) .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Oscar Wilde
Detour

Post by Detour »

lizzytysh wrote:OK, I give. W?H!A?T! is an LBD!?!
Little Black Dress :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

AHHHHHHH... of course. Back to basics :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Detour

Post by Detour »

Lizzy, thanks again for your help! I told her it's a once in a lifetime chance and no matter what I wasn't going to let her miss it. Not even allowed to call in sick on this one! I've found a pair of black jeans for myself so she'll feel better about it, and had her read this post so we're set to go. Leaving in a few minutes in fact. I'm soooo excited. Grand Prarie, here we come. :D

No hats for either of us, though I'm only 5' and she's 5'2" so I don't think we'll block anyone's view - even if we stood. :lol:
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Enjoyed this, funny I always wear black to Leonard's concerts too, it seems so elegant and appropriate somehow. Either the LBD or jeans and a top. I even had a girls night at home not so long ago, dinner and Leonard's music, only stipulation for those attending was to wear black!

Enjoy every moment of the concert.
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

YaY, Detour and Friend! I'm so excited for you Both. Please report back :D .

Great anecdote, IrishMar! Right on time :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

Wow it sounds like most of you haven't been to a concert or show in eons! Even when I lived in England in the early '80's, going to a high end theatre production found everything from jeans & t-shirts to formal wear. In other words, be yourself, and wear what makes you comfortable. But PLEASE, no hats and no high hair! I inevitably sit behind some behemoth with a hat or high hair that makes being short even more intolerable!

My standard concert outfit is black jeans, black pullover, black jacket. Because it's comfortable and works going to either a Leonard Cohen concert or a Coldplay concert.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

I am so glad someone posted this question! I actually PM'd one of the forum ladies to ask this very question. Not sure the guys will understand this preoccupation, but I've been so worried about what to wear. I'm usually a jeans the sweater kind of gal, but I keep think that "he" might actually look down and see me! Total panic! Oh yeah, and I'm limited to maternity wear, so "slimming" black will be perfect... ;-)
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Detour

Post by Detour »

Ok so here's my brief Fashion Report from the Grand Prairie, TX show:

Think Boho chic. I saw 2 men in Tuxedo's who looked very out of place and uncomfortable. Almost everyone wore black, but not black tie. Most of the women in my age group and younger (40's) went with the LBD, but not the classic LBD, most looked like gypsy girls. I mean, these LBD's could have come right out of Stevie Nick's closet. Mine would have been perfect! I saw lots of everything though, including 2 people in cutoff shorts and flip flops. Really. Most older women went in semi-dressy pant suits. A few wore jeans. I did not feel out of place in black jeans and plain black T.

There were many Men in Hats. Every single one that I saw removed them during the show. Including the 6 year old boy who sat in front of me. (This kid knew almost every song, too.) I enjoyed watching him enjoy the show. Most men wore jeans.

Surfergirl, I actually do go to a lot of shows, I'm a season ticket holder at one venue, and my husband a season ticket holder at another, so we average 2-3 shows a week. I dress very differently for theater show than for a concert, and though an Evening With Leonard Cohen is a concert, I was thinking classy concert, hence theater show dress.

Last night was my friend's first experience with Leonard Cohen. She's a convert and very glad I wouldn't let her miss it. :D

The show? Astounding. Stunning. Every other grand word you can think of. Leonard and the band delivered on every single expectation I had - and then some. The best show I've ever been to in my entire life. Can't wait for the Seattle show! Fashion-wise I expect the Seattle show to be even more casual because Seattle is a much more casual city.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey, Detour ~

I loved your report and the fashion rundown ;-) !?! All's well that ends well... and SO glad to hear your friend's a convert. Impossible for me to imagine someone attending one of Leonard's shows and not becoming one... but yuh, know? There are those who . . . I just don't get it, is all. I'm looking forward to Detroit on May 9th.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
surfergirl

Post by surfergirl »

Detour -- good fashion report!

Maybe I should try to be less predictable and switch it up every once in a while!
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”