Red Rocks Meet-Up

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Greg Ross

Re: Red Rocks Meet-Up

Post by Greg Ross »

Salutations everyone, especially those lovely people I had the good fortune to meet and spend time with – I may not have caught the show, but it was worth the time and effort to meet those I did.

I won’t mention everyone, suffice to say the warm welcome from Roman etc was an honour and may I extend an open invitation to our little group, to stay at my place if ever you felt the need to visit far-off Western Australia.

I’ve attached three photos, two taken during the time of the “Concert That Never Was” and the last I took in Hollywood, it’s the Whiskey A Go Go, the billboard made me laugh, having missed the Red Rocks Concert.

And my woes have continued, I got off the plane in Perth, with suspected Swine Flu and I’m now in isolation waiting for the test results! All you can do is laugh really.
Cheers
Attachments
Whiskey a Go Go.jpg
Whiskey a Go Go.jpg (51.31 KiB) Viewed 10423 times
IMGP0010.JPG
IMGP0010.JPG (58.3 KiB) Viewed 10420 times
IMGP0005.JPG
IMGP0005.JPG (48.5 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

AWwwwww, Greg, we were all totally charmed by you, as well! Your playfulness, great attitude, and generous, giving spirit. You're a great guy 8) . We were gutted that you couldn't stay... to think, now, that you were reminded of that woeful fact in Hollywood, albeit a great poster and wonderful building; and then to be in isolation over suspected Swine Flu :shock: ? Geesh... what else could go wrong :neutral: ?

Yes, we had a lot of fun with Roman after you left, too... a very welcoming and sweet man. And your friend, Sherry from Oklahoma City, very lovely and sweet. You two should've seen us in the self-styled roundabout after the concert, somewhere in Denver :lol: . Eh, Mary and George? Dang that Isabel :razz: . You'd've loved it. We couldn't stop laughing :lol: .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

What a fantastic time George and I had meeting fellow forum members! This is definitely such an important part of the whole experience. The night we got in, knowing that Greg was also staying at the Holiday Inn, I checked to see if he had already checked in, was connected to his room and we met up. He came bearing the most wonderful gifts! A large number of wonderful tshirts for the 'concert that never was - June2' and DVDs of the 1988 BBC documentary 'Songs from the life of Leonard Cohen'. What an utterly fantastic gesture on his part! Greg and Sherry, George and I, and our beloved scout, Roman/pancogito proceeded to the Holiday Inn lounge for a 'few' cocktails. It was so much fun declaring our obsessions with Leonard Cohen, hearing tales of concerts, viewing all the photos Greg had on his computer (it was all I could do to stay away from coming to the forum to see what was happenning - thanks for the offer Greg :roll: , but you have to know how us forum addicts are ;-) ). We were finally shooed out of the lounge an hour past closing :cry: :lol: .

The following morning, June 2, picking up Lizzy at the airport and giving us some bonding time - how exciting that was for me! Getting back to the hotel, and Lizzy crashing in our room (she hadn't been able to get any sleep the previous night because of her horrendous travel schedule), since hers wasn't ready.

George and I decided to go up to Red Rocks on this miserable weather day to see what was going on. We saw the road crew loading (or unloading) around 11AM. I said that it looked like the concert was going to happen and was informed that it was cancelled until Thursday.

We headed back to the Holiday Inn and a gathering started in the lobby. Greg and Sherry, and slowly one by one meeing Leslie/mutti, Kelsey/kamik, Diana and Dave entering - all trying to decide if plans could be changed in order to be able attend the concert on Thursday. Trying to decide who would give Lizzy the bad news. Thank you Diana for doing this! Other people checking in and being informed that the concert was postponed.

We decided to head over next door to the Hops Restaurant and Grille while everyone tried to figure everything out.

I will continue this on the next post because this thing will not allow me to see what I'm typing :?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Everyone trying to scramble. Oh the devastation as Greg and Sherry saying there was no way they could do it - and Greg here all the way from Australia, poor Kelsey, separated from her 2 year old daughter for the first time, trying to figure out if would work out to go home and then come back, Leslie finally making the heart wrenching decision to go home and then at the last minute at the airport having second thoughts. You were in our thoughts and hearts while we were at the concert!

Lizzy, after a bazzillion phone calls, and much more money, able to stay. Diana and Dave also (but heading back to Estes until the day of the concert). George and I saying we couldn't do it and then deciding that I would stay on and George go back. Then, George, my hero, my love, following his mantra of 'life's too short' and saying he would stay on. We were among the fortunate who were able to work things out. How my heart bleeds for Greg and Kelsey and Leslie and all the others who were not so fortunate. I am so, so, sorry.

That evening, after Greg had posted on the forum a new meetup time for Tony Rigatoni's, George and I, Lizzy, Kelsey, and Leslie headed out to Tony Rigatoni's, only to have missed Greg and Sherry by a few minutes. But then, in walks Roman! Yeah! We had a bite to eat, commiserated with Kelsy and Leslie and again discussed this phenomenal tour and the wonders of Leonard Cohen. A bit of salve on the wounds for Leslie and Kelsey who would be leaving the next day. What a joy it was to meet these two incredibly vibrant and sweet ladies! I am so grateful to have had this opportunity.

Next post to follow - why is this doing this?!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

All coming back to the Holiday Inn lounge while Lizzy and I trying to get key after key after key to work for her room, deciding she would be homeless that night :lol: , or the room police had orchestrated this whole thing and they were out get her :roll: :lol:. Finally finding out her lock was broken but there was another door to her room in which the key worked. All was well. Lizzy and I finally joined George and Kelsey and Leslie and you too Roman? in the lounge as they were almost closing. Bittersweet with Leslie and Kelsey :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Wednesday, Lizzy, George and I spent together. A quick driving tour of downtown Denver, eating at a nice outdoor patio at a Greek cafe, no Mythnos for Lizzy :( . Lizzy, did we do the Hops again?Calling it an early night.

Thursday Lizzy, George and I drove out to Red Rocks again, seeing Roman there (took the day off from work again - you bad boy you :razz: :lol: ), finding out that the sound check had finished about a half hour before. Getting a call from Diana, 'where are you? Red Rocks. so am I. turn around, here I am. None of us could even enter anywhere near the venue because everything was already closed off in anticipation of the concert. All of us back to the hotel to get ready.

After the concert, we decided to meet up at the Hops which was supposed to be open until 1:30AM. Not this night, nothing was open. Found a place finally, Jose O'Shea's. Diana and Dave following us, then mistakenly following another vehicle similar to ours into uncharted territory :roll: , getting lost and finally deciding to just call it a night and head back to the hotel (early morning flight). George and I were joined by Roman, Lizzy, Bonnie/bkmccalla, and Denise/box_of_rain. Since we didn't have much of a chance to talk to Bonnie and Denise at the concert, this was such a treat and I am so very grateful that they there also. What a time! The laughter, the tears, the joys, the fantastic opportunity to connect. These moments go beyond forum posts - they are so incredibly emotional and they 'bind us tight'. I don't know about Greg and Leslie and Kelsey and Diana and Bonnie and Denise and Lizzy and Roman, but I truly feel I have made friends for life with this extremely fantastic group of individuals. The passion we all feel for Leonard Cohen is a super glue and just try to tear us apart! Thanks you all for this opportunity to meet and get to know you!!!

I have to get off now because it's doing it again. Is this the forum's way of saying I blabbered entirely too much :oops: ?

Kindest regards to all,
Mary
mutti

Post by mutti »

Mary
you are an angel! loved your write up...it was such a pleasure to meet you and George, Lizzytish, Kelsey, Gregg, Diana, Roman,
and the others...Although I am still so disappointed I am so glad we got to meet and hang out together. It really was special
and I feel if there are more shows we will connect again.
Still addicted to the forum.
Mutti Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Post by mutti »

I am having difficulty posting a photo...does anyone have some advice? thanks
1988 Vancouver
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Mary.....oh Mary, I am now sitting here blubbering but in a happy way because all that you said is SO wonderful and true! In this past year friendships have formed through our common love of Leonard that I think will be with us for years!

Also, nothing to do with LC, but I just had to install a new security system and now I can't get any smilies!!!! Oh no, what am I going to do??? Will have to check this out...I need my smilies! I'll have to wait until I'm at work and add all the little guys!

Also, loved your story of the 3-day meet-up! Unfortunately I was only there for a couple of hours on the 2nd and then back on the 4th, but it was a crazy, impromptu, sometimes mixed up, fun experience, and so special to be with devoted Leonard fans!

Hopefully we may still have a few concerts to go!!! (insert really happy smilie!))

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

mutti wrote:I am having difficulty posting a photo...does anyone have some advice? thanks
Hi Leslie,

You might need to resize your photo. It could be too large. I'm not sure what system you might have your photos on (Picasa, Flickr, Adobe) but check in the "help" area for resizing instructions. Good luck!

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Roman,

If you are reading this thread, CHECK YOUR PM'S! Wish a little buzzer would go off to alert you!

Diana :-)
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hi
I have the photo on my desktop. Its from my iphoto library on my Macbook.
Its from the restaurant on the 2nd..
any further ideas?
thanks
Leslie Mutti
1988 Vancouver
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

ladydi wrote:Hi Roman,

If you are reading this thread, CHECK YOUR PM'S! Wish a little buzzer would go off to alert you!

Diana :-)
Maybe the work police won't let him leave his job facility in order to make up for all the days he kept taking off just so we could enjoy the pleasure of his company!
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

This wee note is for the following gorgeous people:

Roman, Mary & George, Lizzy, Denise, Kelsey, Lesley and Diana and friend Dave

While not in any way intended to leave others out, it’s just that I meet these few and there is, I feel, a bond.

I finally got some strength back today (Friday), it’s just after 6.00pm as I write, in fact this afternoon, I poured a decent red wine (West Australian Vasse Felix of course), turned on the home theatre system and cranked up the London concert DVD.

How blessed we are to have this fabulous memento of Leonard’s all-conquering tour. Yes, I’m sad that I missed the Wet Rocks Concert That Never Was (I’ve renamed the venue too!), but I have such vivid memories of the outdoor concert here In Perth, that in the scheme of things, it’s no big deal, besides, if I hadn’t have come over, I wouldn’t have met you guys, nor would I have seen my much loved friends in Washington and my Oklahoma mate Sherry, as they say, it’s an ill wind.

Roman, what a magic bloke you are, nothing was too much trouble, you just went with the flow and the two books you gave me I will always treasure, I did not have either of them.

Mary and George, fabulous couple, loved you both, George looks uncannily like the bass player from Dire Straits, in fact I thought it was him for a few minutes. It’s so good to see a genuine couple and although Mary can only be described, in the best Australian tradition, as being as ‘mad as a cut snake,’ going to all the Cohen concerts, however it’s the sort of madness that makes the world a better place, onya babe. Oh yes, as promised, I’ll attach the photo I took of your photo of you and Leonard.

Lesley, time was all too short, but one day I hope to see Vancouver and maybe we’ll meet for wine and Cohen, at least we have the photos to prove we met, you were such a lovely person.

Unfortunately, there was no opportunity to take a photo of the gorgeous expectant mum, Kelsey, such an obviously lovely person, I felt so sorry that you also couldn’t stay and needed to get back to your young daughter, but at least it will be reasonably easy to catch Leonard again, somewhere in the States and from memory, you had seen an earlier concert, (forgive me if I’ve got that wrong).

Lizzy. Ahh, as I told my friend Sherry, if I lived in the US of A, I am quite certain I’d be wearing the fedora of Bashful Suitor - hopefully I won’t embarrass you be publicly stating that and you’ll take it as a compliment. Just a gorgeous lady, who still has the bloke from down under thinking, “Wow, I LIKED her.”

And last, but certainly not least, Diana and Dave. We barely had time for a passing nod to each other, as we were both on phones trying to change plans, then you guys shot back up to the mountains and I shot off for the Land Down Under, but at least we can now put faces to the names and I look forward to further contact.

Since getting home, I’ve realised there’s something else I’d love to give you all, if you can send me your snail mail addresses, I’ll pop them in the mail sometime next week. My contact email is: gregross7@bigpond.com

And if any of you are ever down this way, looking to try our beaches, our forests, our wine, our weather and our hospitality, I’ve always got a spare double bedroom and a spare car, struth, there’s even the cruiser motorbike if you like two wheeling.

Now, I’ve finally been given the medical all clear at last, so I can go hug my granddaughters and give them all the stuff I bought at Disneyland, be seeing you. As for the other photo, that’s me with one of my all time favourite movie characters.
Here's Lookin' at Ya Kids!
Attachments
IMGP0003.JPG
IMGP0087.JPG
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Geez, are you kidding me, Greg :D ?? WoW. How could I NOT take that as a compliment 8) :shock: !?! Of course I do :D ! For someone who doesn't even seem to think in those terms anymore, to be reminded in such a way is really delightful! Sincerely... thank you :D . [As you can see, I can't stop smiling ;-) .] Thank you for the supreme compliment, especially phrased in that charming way of "wearing the fedora of Bashful Suitor" ~ how disarming is that!?! Thank you so much, Greg, and I liked you, too :) .

Thank you, too, for your patience and indulgence on the t-shirts and the absolute necessity of getting exactly the right one :lol: . The whole t-shirt gift came as such a surprize to begin with and then to see the wonderful quality and styling of it, with your exquisite selection and rendering of photo, phrasing, and presentation with your choice of t-shirts. Each of us who got one was blown away 8) . Thank you for your thoughtfulness. I had completely forgotten that you were making and bringing them... and I didn't even realize right away that it was made specifically for Red Rocks! The date of June 2, 2009, now making it a collector's item... :)

Glad to hear you're cleared for interaction. I heard this morning that the Swine Flu is now officially a pandemic... which does NOT describe its seriousness, but rather its scope of occurrence. I guess there's a danger of its potency come this fall, though. The especially distressing thing about this flu is that the young and healthy seem to be particularly vulnerable. Their systems go into overdrive on battling it and, instead, turn on their own bodies [an oversimplification, but the jist of it]; whereas, for the older ones of us seem to have an immunity of sorts, from our exposure to the Hong Kong flu, et al, years ago. For once, its good to be older, but at the expense of the healthy young :cry: .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Darling

Post by Darling »

Lizzy. Ahh, as I told my friend Sherry, if I lived in the US of A, I am quite certain I’d be wearing the fedora of Bashful Suitor - hopefully I won’t embarrass you be publicly stating that and you’ll take it as a compliment. Just a gorgeous lady, who still has the bloke from down under thinking, “Wow, I LIKED her.”
:D :D How interesting! Let us know if there's any developments! :D :D

You, Lizzy, heartbreaker, this is much better than your previous suitor from a political thread :lol: :lol: . Greg seems to know how to talk to women, he must have learned from Leonard.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”