No love for The Stranger Song?

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Pomona

No love for The Stranger Song?

Postby Pomona » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:22 am

So I'm guessing that The Stranger Song is not particularly popular? It's one of my all-time favorites, but it doesn't appear in recent set lists, and he didn't play it at The Beacon. Any input on this? Reasons?
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
RainDog1980

Re: No love for The Stranger Song?

Postby RainDog1980 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:26 am

I think I remember reading a while back to the effect that he no longer felt he was "interesting enough" to sit with just a guitar and perform songs solo like that.

So that might be why it's not making the list. I really don't remember where I read that, but I remember it being quite a striking comment.
Pomona

Postby Pomona » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 am

Thanks so much for the insight, though it's beyond heartbreaking . . . mainly because it couldn't be further from the truth. I can't imagine how he sees himself.
May 4 1985 Berklee Boston / Feb 19 2009 Beacon NYC / May 29 2009 Wang Boston / June 4 2009 Red Rocks / Dec 15 2012 Wang Boston
melancholia

Postby melancholia » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 pm

oh god above, do i love the stranger song..

and would be so greatly pleased if he performed it at one of the oakland shows.

i am hopeful..
melancholia
and you want to travel with him
and you want to travel blind
and you think maybe you'll trust him
for he's touched your perfect body with his mind...
yopietro

Postby yopietro » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:58 am

I did see him play Avalanche in Montreal last year though (which of course has a similar fingerpicking style and guitar feel). And if memory serves me well, he was solo on it. Either way, he still has the chops to pull it off.

I for one would LOVE to see The Stranger Song make an appearance. It's one of my favorites, and thankfully, or regretfully, a song I can identify with only too well.
melancholia

Postby melancholia » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:33 am

aye, i also & regretfully relate too well.. avalanche is another beauty that i'd love to hear live.

but i'll be content with whatever's played. i never thought i'd get the chance to see him, and now i shall thrice!

still swooning,
m.
yopietro wrote:I did see him play Avalanche in Montreal last year though (which of course has a similar fingerpicking style and guitar feel). And if memory serves me well, he was solo on it. Either way, he still has the chops to pull it off.

I for one would LOVE to see The Stranger Song make an appearance. It's one of my favorites, and thankfully, or regretfully, a song I can identify with only too well.
and you want to travel with him
and you want to travel blind
and you think maybe you'll trust him
for he's touched your perfect body with his mind...

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”