Comment on the ticket issue from the tour management

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
stroebe

Re: Comment on the ticket issue from the tour management

Postby stroebe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 pm

I did not even get the chance to buy fan tickets presale and pay the ticketmaster premium.

how does one get the password for the presale???
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:45 pm

stroebe wrote:
how does one get the password for the presale???
Go to the Pre-sale Passwords thread!

Wendy
mirka

who exploits the most enthusiastic fans ?

Postby mirka » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:47 am

Turns out all the 'conspiracy theories' were right on the point.

Unsold VIP and "Platinum Seats" are now being released to the general pool -- just 5 minutes ago tickets available for Oakland shows at TicketMaster's general sale were as follows:
April 13 orch O center
April 14 orch F center
April 15 orch TT center

TicketsNow still puts ad on the Craigslist, disguising themselves as Funneasytravel.
The tickets there start from $1563 (a pair of Apr 14, orch row E) /later when I switch to the comp with a graphic app I'll attach screenshots/:

Leonard Cohen - $134
Reply to: sale-mbhb4-1084710280@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-03-20, 8:12PM PDT
tickets available from $199.00 Monday April 13
tickets available from $134.00 Tuesday April 14
http://tix.funneasytravel.com
Your tickets are covered under our 100% Guarantee
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tix/1084710280.html
I understand LC doesn't profit from the money earned manipulating the ticket prices.
If this is the case, regulators should really look into TicketMaster's practices.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
mirka

Postby mirka » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 am

Unfortunately I don't have time to do a research on the subject, IMHO however LC fans should e-mail relevant regulators, as Bruce Springsteen fans did.
Maybe Justice Department would be the best body to complain to:
http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/02/ ... partm.html

Bruce Springsteen fans were heard, they were compensated for overpriced tickets they bought, and TC paid 'voluntary' fine.
IMHO the problem is not limited to single events, I think what TicketMaster does is practicing worldwide ticket speculation.
LC fans experienced it in Europe as well, as it was reported in Summer Tour threads.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
coyoeblue

Postby coyoeblue » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:03 am

LC's promoter is playing some games with tickets that I seriously resent considering the cost of the tickets. I bought tickets for the London,ON show when they went on sale and then today looked to see what kind of seats were available and found that I could have got 5th row centre for the same price if I'd waited 20 days to buy them? I could get front row seats as well if I wanted to pay that much or even buy 6 together to the side of the front, if I bought today. A few hundred of the best tickets held back till today for some reason. This is entirely corrupt and leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Makes me wonder if these tickets were available somewhere else first and didn't sell. Why would this bs happen?

PS What happened to the post two above mine that had some of this info for London and Hamilton shows?!
mirka

Postby mirka » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:23 am

coyoeblue wrote: PS What happened to the post two above mine that had some of this info for London and Hamilton shows?!
It's in the 'Leonard Cohen and Ticketmaster' thread:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=13831&start=45&st= ... =a#p160984
HMUnger

Postby HMUnger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Many thanks, Jarkko, for your investigative reporting. A part of me wishes that LC would publicy speak out about TicketMaster's practices, as Springsteen has done. LC and his management rejected TicketMaster's offers of free money in exchange for screwing fans. While this makes me more of an LC fan than ever before, I am left wondering if all of LC's fans will be properly informed. Some of the NYC papers (NY Post) have reported on TicketMaster and LC and implied that the two were in cahoots because few tickets were available during the public sale. Perhaps LC could issue a statement to his fans clarifying his arrangement with TicketMaster, his dealings with AEG, his decision to decline TicketNow money, and clarify the lingering presale issues (e.g., How many? Passwords?).
mirka

Postby mirka » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:51 am

HMUnger wrote:Perhaps LC could issue a statement to his fans clarifying his arrangement with TicketMaster, his dealings with AEG, his decision to decline TicketNow money, and clarify the lingering presale issues (e.g., How many? Passwords?).
This was my initial reaction when I heard about Bruce Springsteen ticket sale fiasco, and how sincere it was of him to openly express his position to TM.
As of now I wonder: was fans presale really a favor offered to us, or just another way of TM to extract as much money as possible from yet another market segment ?
Many fans (me included) got locked into expensive, hard/impossible to exchange/sell tickets, while we could get better tickets for less money at later sales.
I read quite a few stories of people in dire financial situation who streched themselves beyond their limits to get tickets to LC concerts.
Who was the real beneficiary of this game ? Neither fans nor Leonard Cohen, I'm afraid.

mirka
--
JacquelineR

Postby JacquelineR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:10 am

Maybe this will help people who are in New York now: I was amazed to pickup my fan pre-sale ticket today at the Radio City will call. No waiting in line, just walked right up and got it. If you are sell/trading extra pre-sale tickets (at face value I hope for goodness sakes) this should make things easier.

Jacqueline
justdasi

Postby justdasi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:01 am

My fiance and I just spent $286 to get me a ticket to the April 11th show in L.A., 2nd row, orchestra pit. We bought it directly from Ticket Master online. I thought I was so damn lucky to get it, and I probably was. Still, today I find tickets listed on ticketliquidator.com for this same show, pit seats (many of them) being sold starting at $102 each (and seats elsewhere for as low as $86!), but you have to buy 2 or more. I'm going alone, because one ticket was all we could afford, we are both broke - he is unemployed and trying to get disability, and I am a full time student and mother of two, supporting the kids and I off of student financial aid. He saw Cohen back in the 70s, and we both felt that this could be my only chance to see him, so we spent money we really don't have.

Didn't someone say that ticketliquidator is actually run by Ticket Master?? Or that they work together? If that is so, I want to cry. They are evil and deserve to be held accountable for their horrible, rotten business practices! I feel so cheated. Even if I had purchased a ticket in a lower price range from Ticket Master (and gotten a lousy seat in the nose-bleed section or way off on the side), I'd feel cheated! Two tickets in the pit, for less than I paid for one! It's criminal! Can't artists simply start refusing to work with that company? If enough of them make an uproar, they'd have to change.

Here's a sample of what the website had available: (http://www.ticketliquidator.com/tix/Tic ... id=1018756)

ORCH CC 2 $102
Mezzanine A 2 $106
MEZZ E 1-4 or 6 $106
Note: . ELEVATED SEATS TICKETFAST AVAILABLE
Orchestra FF 2 $107
Note: Orchestra Seating
LOGE E 1 or 3 $107
Note: 5TH ROW LEFT CENTER LOGE LEVEL - IF SPLIT SOLD AS 1-3 - TICKETFAST (E-MAILABLE)
Orchestra EE 2 $107
Orchestra DD 2 $107
MEZZ C 2 or 4 $107
Orchestra MM 2 $107
Orchestra NN 2 $107
Orchestra S 2 $107
Orchestra T 2 $107
LOGE A 2 $112
Note: FRONT ROW LOGE!!! SHIPS TODAY!!
ORCH DD 2 or 4 $112
Walsh75

Postby Walsh75 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 am

I'll just paste what I posted here from in another thread several hours ago. By the way, the guy that wrote me has his title in the e-mail as "Talent Buyer-AEG Live".

"Well I just got an answer from the local office of AEG.

I first wrote The Fox in Detroit about all this ticket nonsense to see if they had any idea. Got an e-mail back. Not really crazy about The Fox forwarding on my exact e-mail and address to AEG, but what can I do now.

He was cordial but gave me a legal "mumbo jumbo" answer. He said seats get "held back" for different programs and entities involved with a tour, and once those issues are settled, any remaining tickets get released back into Ticketmaster and box office systems for sale.

This was the exact same type of answer I had from Ticketmaster.com months ago with questions regarding a James Hunter show at The Ark in Ann Arbor. (For that, right at 10am the $27 seats weren't shown. Only $20 G/A. Then a few hours later there were plenty top seats to spare.)

These $250 seats were the "golden tickets" for fans and others involved. Odd how those seemed to be held back for a time, for whatever reason, yet there were plenty of $130 and balcony seats to go around.

And yes. In this economy I worry about our extra tickets getting sold. I think it's worse for me here in Michigan and with it being only 1 ticket that I have to sell.

Just checking Ticketmaster.com, I pulled up Or3, Row 1, Seat 305 for The Fox Detroit. So now plenty of seats to go around. Sadly it seems they caught us in the mass frenzy during opening sale days."

What I meant by the last line, I bought a $130 seat on general release day. I wanted to try for front row but wasn't given the option. Figured I should take what I could get in case it sold out and I'd be shut out of going.

Then just the other day I checked TM.com and saw FRONT ROW for $253. I bought it to be close. Now I have two tickets but planned to go alone all along. That's $433 I spent if I don't sell that other ticket.

And I've seen posts from several other ppl that have upgraded as well leaving the back rows behind but needing to sell those tickets to try and get some money back.
JacquelineR

Postby JacquelineR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:09 am

JacquelineR wrote:Maybe this will help people who are in New York now: I was amazed to pickup my fan pre-sale ticket today at the Radio City will call. No waiting in line, just walked right up and got it. If you are sell/trading extra pre-sale tickets (at face value I hope for goodness sakes) this should make things easier.

Jacqueline
I heard through another thread that someone else went yesterday to Radio City will call to pickup their ticket and were told no, she'd have to wait until just before the show started. I went back to Radio City today to find out why I was able to get my "fan club" ticket and others couldn't. Was told that the guy who gave me my ticket was a part-time employee and didn't know these are "held" tickets. The bottom line is: you'll have to wait until just before the show and then go immediately into the theatre. Am sorry to have gotten anyone's hopes up and feel odd now that I got my ticket early. Apologies sent.
mirka

Postby mirka » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 am

Walsh75 wrote:I'll just paste what I posted here from in another thread several hours ago.
And I paste what I've posted as my comment to their explanation :? :?

I don't believe a word of their explanation, they just exploit their exclusivity at selling tickets. :!: :!: :idea: :idea:

Who exactly are "different programs and entities involved with a tour" ? Certainly fans didn't get to buy quality tickets at the fans presale, those tickets however showed up within minutes on the TicketsNow site. :shock: :shock:
I bet if not for this Forum AEG would put fans as well into the "different programs and entities involved with a tour"category. ;-) ;-)

I logged into TM site precisely at 10AM on the presale day, best 2 tickets I could get for Apr 13 were ORCH, row OO ($232).
Since I thought at that time this was a unique opportunity, me and my SO decided same day to splurge on the VIP package for Apr 13 ($ 1101.20), with the hope of selling OO seats.
At the next presale for Apr 14 I got better seats: ORCH, row D side ($ 401.20). Same day I tried to cancel the VIP package, of course I got e-mail saying it wasn't possible. :razz: :razz:
Then at the April 15 presale, the only presale not gouged, I got 1 ticket for row A ($ 202.20).

Luckily I found somebody for my Apr 13 tickets (how easy it'll be to use the tickets is another story), but I'm still left with at least half of the VIP package. Plus I feel like the last fool paying $550 for a ticket that I could buy now for $200.

ah, and I sponsored a ticket for hesperides, I bet he could find a better use for the money then paying more then the ticket market value.
Last edited by mirka on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Walsh75

Postby Walsh75 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:52 am

And here at 12:45 am Detroit time, looking at TM.com again, that ticket still is up for sale! LOL.

OR 3
Row 1
Price Level 1
Ticket Price $253.00
Convience Charge $24.65

Now I feel like a fool as this proves my pattern since 2006 that no show is an easy sell out here in this area. Maybe by the week or the day of a show, but not ahead of time. Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers did at Joe Louis Arena but those were kids and teens. I mean adult shows.

If something like Roger Waters performing the entire "Dark Side of the Moon" wasn't a sell out for The Palace of Auburn Hills then not much else will sell out there.

Van Morrison did both time at the much smaller venues of The Masonic Temple (Nov. 06) and The Fox (July 08). It wasn't over night though in either case. But by show day it was.
marcie

Postby marcie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:24 am

I bought tickets for April 11 in LA in the first few minutes of onsale on March 9 ( 2, Orchestra U, 500's $94 each). I took them because I was afraid it would sell out and it was the best I could get. I went on again after a few minutes and was offered Orchestra DD,200's, $94 each so i bought those, thinking I could sell the others. I am just a regular joe who doesn't buy many tickets and has never ever resold a ticket. So now I feel stuck and I have no idea what to do, but I went on a few days ago and saw BETTER orchestra seats for $94 which I did not buy this time. I feel inept, tricked, and poor and if anyone has a suggestion of how to handle the extra tickets I would love to hear it. Thank you.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”