Comment on the ticket issue from the tour management

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MarieM

Re: Comment on the ticket issue from the tour management

Postby MarieM » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:21 pm

I echo the above sentiments that laud Mr. Cohen and his management for no longer participating in the TicketExchange/TicketMaster Marketplace/Platinum Seating mechanism whereby tickets were routed directly to the secondary market. Kudos.

However, this *conveniently* overlooks the fact that he WAS participating at the inception of the onsales for these North American shows.
Colombo, your conclusion is not correct. Again, --

Robert Kory explained that this ticketing option had been offered and that he had declined on Leonard’s behalf. We also confirmed with Elliott Leflko at AEG that Mr. Kory declined. Not only that, Mr. Lefko explained that Mr. Kory has gone so far as to require that no peer to peer secondary ticketing of Cohen tickets be allowed on TicketExchange to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. As a result, no one, neither fans nor ticket brokers, can resell Leonard Cohen tickets through Ticket Exchange. We have checked ourselves on TicketExchange, and we found no Cohen tickets available through the Platinum Ticket program.

The tickets that were offered for sale on TicketExchange were NOT tickets as described in the Wall Street Journal article. They were not tickets that Leonard Cohen authorized Ticketmaster to filter to TicketExchange. Leonard did not authorize nor participate in this program. However, to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, and to prevent some from drawing that conclusion, as you have done, Mr. Kory has had ALL sales of tickets to Cohen concerts, whether offered by fans or ticket brokers, removed from TicketExchange.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

http://www.speakingcohen.com
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:09 am

Yes, Jarkko, straight to the top, as Joe has just suggested. We, of course, will be here to point people to it, should they somehow fail to see it.

Thank you, Jarkko and Marie, for being there for Leonard and for us, as needs arise. An inflammatory article such as that can broadbrush many innocents... in this case, however, it was Leonard's reputation and integrity that you rightfully saw fit to clarify in no uncertain terms, including names and documentation. Professionals all the way around.

Thank you for being you.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
friscogrl

Postby friscogrl » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:47 am

Thank you Jarrko and Marie for looking into this matter and then informing us about Leonard's and AEG not participating in
taking a share of the cut from inflated ticket prices. I like others had thoughts about the Wall Street Journal article but did
not want to post anything until you made comments on the situation as you stated you would do yesterday. I did not believe that Leonard
had anything to do with this since he doesn't even know where the bank is. I wasn't so sure about the Management but now believe what you said about Robert Kory and AEG's not participating in this practice. Thank you again for enlightening us on this matter.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
bigdee

Postby bigdee » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks Jarkko for getting the straight answers from the right people. I never thought for a minute Leonard was taking part in this practice. Now that you posted your findings I'll have something official to point people to when I read their rants about not being able to get tickets. I'll be sure to repost your message whenever I see someone complaining about the tickets. On a personal note about the tickets, I was able to get tickets to all the east coast shows thanks to your efforts as well as Mr. Kory's in making the presales happen. Not once did I have to use a resale site to get tickets. Thanks again for doing this for us! I hope if Leonard does return the tour to North America in the future you can do something similar again.
Cheers,
Dave
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:46 am

Thank you Marie and Jarkko!

There was never any doubt in my mind that the LC that we know and his manager and tour company had anything to do with the nefarious accusations being posted on this forum. Now, because of your conversation with Robert Kory described at the top of this topic, there will be no further need on our part to defend the sale of tickets for this leg of the tour. Any additional negative comments can simply be referred to your post. You make life so easy for us :D .

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
st theresa

Postby st theresa » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:07 am

Thanks to you Jarkko and Marie for all of the work you do. It is beyond any imagined duty and reflective of the quality that I have found here from my first visit. Like my faith in Mr. Cohen himself, my faith in this forum continues to be validated, again and again and again.
basecamp

Postby basecamp » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 pm

THX Jarkko and Marie for your clarification!
Last edited by basecamp on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Jarkko and Marie,

I'm slow in getting around to a response but I will join the chorus in thanking you deeply for contacting Mr. Kory and AEG to settle this question finally. Never once did I believe Leonard or his management had any involvement in the schemes that some newer members have suggested and it is satisfying to know that even though it was offered, Leonard and his team turned it down.

In this world of conspiracy theories, large and small, there will still be those who will not accept a truthful answer if it was staring them in the face. If a supposed Leonard Cohen fan could believe that he would be involved in something underhanded, then they have no idea what Leonard stands for and shame on them for calling themselves a fan. Eventim seems to be a much better company to work through than Ticketmaster but unfortunately in this country we have few choices.

Thank you both again, not only for your in-depth response to this situation, but for all you do on a daily basis to bring us this wonderful Forum, the Files and Speaking Cohen. You constantly amaze me!

All the best,
Diana
RainDog1980

Postby RainDog1980 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:23 pm

ladydi wrote:Jarkko and Marie,

I'm slow in getting around to a response but I will join the chorus in thanking you deeply for contacting Mr. Kory and AEG to settle this question finally. Never once did I believe Leonard or his management had any involvement in the schemes that some newer members have suggested and it is satisfying to know that even though it was offered, Leonard and his team turned it down.

In this world of conspiracy theories, large and small, there will still be those who will not accept a truthful answer if it was staring them in the face. If a supposed Leonard Cohen fan could believe that he would be involved in something underhanded, then they have no idea what Leonard stands for and shame on them for calling themselves a fan. Eventim seems to be a much better company to work through than Ticketmaster but unfortunately in this country we have few choices.

Thank you both again, not only for your in-depth response to this situation, but for all you do on a daily basis to bring us this wonderful Forum, the Files and Speaking Cohen. You constantly amaze me!

All the best,
Diana
I second this notion. I said it from day one that I starting visiting this forum, thank you for being so accessible, and for making this site what it is. I look forward to more great things to come in the future.
News Gal

Postby News Gal » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:06 am

Connecticut's Attorney General, Richard Blumenthal, is currently investigating these cases. You know, I may have a story idea here. It's happened with two artists so far--LC & Springsteen. The state's waiting to see if anyone is next with the P2P sellers. Even though it's been two months, I have a feeling something will come of this investigation by summer.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
jonathon

Postby jonathon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 am

Thank you Jarkko and Marie for all of your efforts to clarify the situation but Colombo's assessment is right on. Platinum seats WERE being sold through Ticketmaster Exchange/Marketplace for any of the Canadian shows that I was following on Ticketmaster when tickets first went on sale.

For the May 25 and 26 Ottawa shows, at least 170 seats for each show were up for sale on the TicketExchange Marketplace as 'Platinum Seats' on March 2nd when tickets went on public sale. A pair of front row centre seats (Orchestra Row BB, Seats 2 & 4) were listed at $595.45 for EACH ticket... and strangely they were not the most expensive seats being offered, there were some in excess of $700 each. And trust me, I am not confusing these seats with the VIP packages which also were on sale at the same time.

The Ticketmaster Exchange/Marketplace option was quietly taken down for the Ottawa shows early last week and many of the Platinum tickets that were being sold began showing up in the regular Ticketmaster inventory throughout the week with 20 to 40 quality seats being dropped into the system each day. Believe me, I'm not complaining as I was a huge beneficiary of what happened as I was able to snag front row centre seats for both Ottawa shows during these releases at a 'mere' $250 each before service charges. During the week, I also noticed a new second (and lower) price point being offered for the VIP packages.

So... make no mistake, tickets were originally being sold as Platinum seats on Ticketmaster Exchange/Marketplace. And yes, the option has been taken down and is no longer there... although there were still ads on Ticketmaster promoting Leonard Cohen 'Platinum Seats' as late as yesterday.

Someone must have given Ticketmaster permission to carve off a premium ticket inventory and to sell them as Platinum seats at the onset of the public sale. In the unlikely event that it was not the promoter or artist management who gave permission for the use of the Platinum Ticket sales tactic then Ticketmaster has something else to answer for.

All the best.
jonathon

Postby jonathon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:46 am

I should also point out that none of the Platinum tickets listed for the Ottawa shows on Ticketmaster TicketExchange/Marketplace were put up by scalpers, brokers or individuals. First of all the Sell option in TicketExchange was not available for the two shows and secondly, if it had been, the tickets could only have been priced at face value as Ontario has anti-scalping laws... only the promoter has the ability to list seats above face value on TicketExchange in Ontario.

All the best.
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:47 am

The problem of some tickets appearing on TicketExchange for Leonard's concerts in a few markets immediately after the public on sale has been investigated. It has been verified that those were ticket resale offers made peer to peer through the TicketExchange Platinum program by ticket holders who bought their tickets in presales, probably the AMEX or BEST BUY presales, which did not require will call for pick-up (like our presales did).

As soon as Robert Kory learned about those peer to peer sales occuring on a TicketMaster webpage with Leonard's picture, he demanded that TicketMaster shut down the entire Platinum Program for Leonard's concerts, even for peer to peer sales. TicketMaster complied. That's why the tickets disappeared.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:39 pm

KaimiK wrote:This information comes as no surprise to me, I never suspected Mr. Cohen or his management of any ticketing conspiracies. But, I'm glad this can give peace of mind to all.

KaimiK (a non-venom spitting newbie to the board, but not the music)
I'd second that - I'm a newbie to the board, but not to Leonard's music, and it never crossed my mind for a second that the problems were anything to do with him! Having been to two previous concerts and looking forward to my third in New York in May, quite frankly however much you pay is worth it - an evening of pure magic :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
dick

Postby dick » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Belated huge thank you's --

Jarkko and Marie you have been terrific, and it is not surprising that Leonard and Robert Kory have done all they can to remain true to fans. Much gratitude flowing to all!

Dick

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”