Really not fair

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
allanmartin

Really not fair

Postby allanmartin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Anyone else have this problem? We were buying the presale tickets, had been allocated tickets and Ticketmaster would not allow us to enter our UK address for a billing address. We were going to collect the tickets in person, following ALL the rules with photographic IDs etc etc... but the system would not let us select UK!

HOW ANNOYING! WE LOST THE TICKETS. Anyone else have that trouble?

Al
lizzytysh

Re: Really not fair

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:24 pm

That's dreadful, Allan :cry: . Are you going to chance it and come anyway, or just keep looking for tickets you can buy from a real person and meet at the venue?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:49 pm

allanmartin wrote:Anyone else have this problem? We were buying the presale tickets, had been allocated tickets and Ticketmaster would not allow us to enter our UK address for a billing address. We were going to collect the tickets in person, following ALL the rules with photographic IDs etc etc... but the system would not let us select UK!

HOW ANNOYING! WE LOST THE TICKETS. Anyone else have that trouble?

Al

Yes!! I was allocated a fabulous seat in the fifth row of the Orchestra which I tried to buy. My husband reckoned you could get round the US/Canada address restriction and still get your credit card to work by putting all the UK address details in the first two lines for address and making up a fake address in NY state, eg zip code 12345 etc. I did this, then entered my credit card details. What did TIcketmaster do?? Told me I could not use my credit card as it was already registered to an address in the UK. Did I gete my ticket? NO!!

W
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 am

Am I understanding this CORRECTLY :shock: !!?!

Does this mean that NO ONE from overseas will be able to attend these concerts unless they have a friend who can buy their tickets and then go to the venue with them to pick them up :cry: !?! This is crazy! One problem solved and another opens up!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
noniy

Postby noniy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:05 am

Yes,

I had the same problem... after waiting so long...
Do you know if this would happen in the general sell as well?
allanmartin

Postby allanmartin » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:16 pm

I had a phone call with two people from Ticketmaster have been told that overseas people will be able to buy tickets at general sale, however was also told that we should have been able to at the pre-sale but they made a mistake. Guess what they did about it? Nothing.... they guy said "good luck with the general sale"
euge

Postby euge » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:11 pm

I can understand your annoyance. Did you try the Canadian option? When I checked within that, several countries were listed (e.g. Mexico), as well as the option "Other". I'm just wondering whether, if you had clicked on the "Other" option, would it have allowed you to use your credit card? I realise that it's difficult to puzzle this out within the very limitied time allowance and, besides which, you've shouldn't have to figure it out... it should be set up properly in the first place.
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:49 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Am I understanding this CORRECTLY :shock: !!?!

Does this mean that NO ONE from overseas will be able to attend these concerts unless they have a friend who can buy their tickets and then go to the venue with them to pick them up :cry: !?! This is crazy! One problem solved and another opens up!

~ Lizzy
Hi Lizzy

Yes - that's the position so far as the pre-sales are concerned. You can of course chance your arm in the public sale but we all know how successful people have been in those.

The pre-sale problem seems to apply to all people living outside N America (not sure about Mexico, S America etc) who try to buy tickets in a Fan Club pre-sale on Ticketmaster.

The reason is that the only "country" options available on purchase are the US and Canada. There were two delivery options available in these pre-sales: US Will Call or Canada Will Call. If you clicked on one or the other the "country" was fixed at the US or Canada, whichever you suggested. If you clicked on "Other" as Euge suggested, all it did was take you straight back to the ticket page to re-select between US or Canada Will Call. There was simply no option to select any other country.

If you went for either the US or Canada option, you then face the problem that your address does not match your registered credit card address. You also have to have or make up a zip code which compounds the problem. I tried to force the issue by putting in all my UK address details on the first two lines then making up a zip code, but I then had the problem that Ticketmaster rejected my credit card as being "registered to another user"!!! The time it gave me to go back in and re-enter all my information with another card was simply not long enough no matter how fast I typed (and my touch typing speed is pretty fast) so I timed out.

I raised this issue with Jarkko and opened a thread on this very subject at the time of the first pre-sales when I was lining myself up for a show to tie in with a trip across the water. Jarkko escalated the issue and he received a reply to say it was being looked into. However, so far as I know, he never received a response beyond that, so the position has remained unchanged for all Ticketmaster pre-sales since. I had hoped things would have changed by the time of the NY pre-sale but they haven't so I lost "my" fifth row seat.

Fortunately, the Amex sales were OK and I have an Amex card so I was able to buy tickets to one of the Ottawa shows to tie in with a planned trip to Canada. However, I didn't get anything in NY Amex sale last week as I was tied up in meetings all day at work and I honestly didn't think the problem would still be there by the time of yesterday's Fan Club pre-sale. I was wrong.

Maybe whoever set up these pre-sales with Ticketmaster (who after all are only acting on instructions received in this situation) thinks that anyone buying tickets from outside the US / Canada must by definition be a scalper? Farcical when you think of the way that so many people travelled internationally for the shows in Canada and Europe last year. However, if they do want to exclude international buyers, then in my opinion they should have explicity restricted the sales to "available only to US and Canada residents". Jarkko would have put this on the forum and we would all have known where we stood. However, from what I can gather, this was not the intention. Personally, I lean towards the c*** up theory myself.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
euge

Postby euge » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your clarification re the "Other" option. Glad that I didn't waste time following it up yesterday.

Like you, I incline towards the "screw-up" theory on this occasion. I had no difficulty obtaining tickets for the Beacon show while using my Irish credit card in the fan pre-sale.
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:11 pm

I heard from AEG that when Ticketmaster uses "Will Call" they only sell to US and Canadian addresses; AEG tried to get that changed, but obviously Ticketmaster failed to do it / just ignored the request, or it was too late to re-program the system. I have not heard whether or not AEG got any feedback from TM.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
euge

Postby euge » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Not entirely sure about that. I purchased the Beacon tickets with the Irish credit card on a "Will Call" basis - that was the only option available - but there was no difficulty when using the card. Looks like a different arrangement is in place for the current round of fan pre-sales.

P.S. Jarkko, I greatly appreciate the work you put into setting up the pre-sales and your patience in trying to resolve the difficulties and in responding to queries. Without these efforts many of us would not have succeeded in getting to see these wonderful shows.
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Jarkko - thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that AEG followed up, even if nothing was ever done to change things.

One point does confuse me. Per your message, AEG were told that, when Ticketmaster use Will Call, it's only for US / Canada. But the "standard" Ticketmaster delivery method for international purchasers on ticketmaster.com and ticketmaster.ca is "Will Call"! All they had to do was add "International Will Call" to the pre-sale delivery options and we would all have been happy. Maybe - as you say - it was too late to change anything and Ticketmaster were simply covering their tracks.

W
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:24 pm

euge wrote: P.S. Jarkko, I greatly appreciate the work you put into setting up the pre-sales and your patience in trying to resolve the difficulties and in responding to queries.
Hear hear!

W
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Oh, Wendy ~

I want so BADLY to HELP!!! I've tried to devise a way to do that, but nothing parses out when you carry out all the steps!
"registered to another user"!!!
Crazy combinations that I've considered included your having your tickets sent to my address [could you NOT buy me tickets as a gift!?!] and then my sending them to you. "Will Call" wouldn't let that happen, though... as I won't be going to New York. And, it seems your Credit Card would be rejected. If we had enough trusting, willing-to-work-with New Yorkers, who won't be attending themselves... it seems SOMETHING could be done!

I can't believe TM would by default consider overseas people as scalpers... they've been Leonard's most loyal following!!!

For all the lip service Ticketmaster gives, every action speaking louder than words shows that they really, truly do not care! If ONLY AEG could arrange for ANYONE other than Ticketmaster to handle sales of Leonard's shows. By the time they got that set up, though, Leonard's tours will be over.

Why can't I be a wealthy philanthropist when I want to?? At times like these, I would love nothing more than to grant back my times of good karma. If you can figure out a way I might be able to be helpful, please let me know.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
crystal

Postby crystal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Yes, the same happened to me twice. I was logged in at 4 o'clock German time, had two tickets, not great seats but I had tickets tried to type in the German address and lost the tickets. Six minutes later I was again successful with even better seats and the same. Now I hope for Monday and hope to be lucky a third time. I went to three concerts last year, maybe should't be too greedy but still would be desperate if I don't get a ticket on Monday.
Christel

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”