Opinons: Presale vs. public sale

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Damfino

Opinons: Presale vs. public sale

Postby Damfino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:49 pm

Like many, I’ve only recently discovered this terrific forum. I seek level-headed opinions on a basic question. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

For those of us who intend to be “first on line” for any ticket buying opportunities — is there truly any benefit to joining the presale ticket buying crapshoot — or are fans just as well off (and possibly better off) to buy (and perhaps get to choose) their seats as soon as the public sale opens?

My recent experience:
I was lucky enough to be at the Beacon Theater show (2,800 seats), and grabbed a decent loge seat via TicketMaster as soon as sales opened.

Last week, I bought a presale ticket for the Waterbury show. The ticket engine served up a so-so mezzanine seat, and I grabbed it — not wanting to risk losing out entirely.

Now, I am eager to take a date to Radio City (6,000 seats). For reasons too complicated and frustrating to recount, I let a couple of decent seats slip through my fingers during the AMEX presale. Since then, much of the ticket-buying discussion has been tinged with panic about scams, shows entirely sold out in advance....

What do the experienced concert-goers think? Should we do everything necessary to try to get one of the fan club presale seats on Sat, 3/7 — or do I have a chance of equally good or better results at the Radio City boxoffice (or online) Monday, 3/9.

Thanks for indulging my question. G
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??
A Brick in the Wall

Re: Opinons: Presale vs. public sale

Postby A Brick in the Wall » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Damfino wrote:Like many, I’ve only recently discovered this terrific forum. I seek level-headed opinions on a basic question. Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

For those of us who intend to be “first on line” for any ticket buying opportunities — is there truly any benefit to joining the presale ticket buying crapshoot — or are fans just as well off (and possibly better off) to buy (and perhaps get to choose) their seats as soon as the public sale opens?

My recent experience:
I was lucky enough to be at the Beacon Theater show (2,800 seats), and grabbed a decent loge seat via TicketMaster as soon as sales opened.

Last week, I bought a presale ticket for the Waterbury show. The ticket engine served up a so-so mezzanine seat, and I grabbed it — not wanting to risk losing out entirely.

Now, I am eager to take a date to Radio City (6,000 seats). For reasons too complicated and frustrating to recount, I let a couple of decent seats slip through my fingers during the AMEX presale. Since then, much of the ticket-buying discussion has been tinged with panic about scams, shows entirely sold out in advance....

What do the experienced concert-goers think? Should we do everything necessary to try to get one of the fan club presale seats on Sat, 3/7 — or do I have a chance of equally good or better results at the Radio City boxoffice (or online) Monday, 3/9.

Thanks for indulging my question. G

Demand is so high for these tix that I'm going to avail myself of the 1st chance to get tix -- it's every person for themselves.... 8)

YMMV
Paula

Postby Paula » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Damfino - I think it is truly the luck of the draw there have been some who have bought pre-sale and not been happy with their tickets and some who have bought direct with ticketmaster and been over the moon.

I tended to grab the first half decent ticket and then had to buy different ones later as the ticket agencies seem to release better seats later. I then sold on the unwanted tickets on the forum. My thinking was a bird in the hand and I would rather have had a ticket rather than none at all.

I don't have that problem presently as the concerts are in the USA but I am hoping that is a dilema I have to consider again.

Good luck!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Cate

Postby Cate » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I think Paula's right, luck of the draw or a matter of odds. How many people will you be competing with in the pre-sale how many in the public sale.
I've bought tickets in two pre-sales and have been happy both times.
----

Just thinking - it might also depend on which ticket agency you're dealing with.
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 pm

I am satisfied with both my tickets purchased for two different concerts, one on the Jarkko Pre-Sale and one on the AMEX pre-sale. Both seats are adequate - one in a smaller concert hall in San Diego and one in a larger venue in Los Angeles.

The big bonus for me is I can now relax. I was so uptight before the pre-sales took effect, it became an obsession counting down to the actual time of the Pre-sales. I think a lot of us freaked out over all the postings leading up to the historic Beacon concert and were concerned that we would be shut out.

Thank you Jarkko for all your time, hard work and putting up with all our inane repetitive questions. We could not do it without you. Sail On
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
denalynn2001

Postby denalynn2001 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:14 pm

I missed the Chicago presale and tried to get tickets within 5 minutes of the start of the public sale. Zip.

Presale today for second show, got Row J and am delighted with it. Could have had DDD if I had $250+ per ticket to spend, which I do not (even if it is somebody else's money). All things considered, I am very happy and think I will just hang on to these tickets and be glad I got them.

Another poster said that Ticketmaster will allow you to cancel a ticket order if you call them and are very nice. Something to consider if you buy a pair and then something vastly better comes up. Hope this helps.

D
Damfino

Postby Damfino » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. Having screwed-up the Radio City AMEX presale, I'll alleviate my suspense by going for the 3/7 presale — come what may. Thank you to Jarrko for that. Cheers. G
2-19-09 - Beacon, NYC / 5-14-09 - Palace, Waterbury, CT / 5-15-09 - Webb Sisters - Webster Hall, NYC / 5-16-09 - Radio City, NYC / 5-30-09, Boston, MA / 10-17-09 - MSG, NYC / 11-5-09 - Nashville, TN / ??

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”