I'm so sad - got awful tickets for Victoria concert

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Re: I'm so sad - got awful tickets for Victoria concert

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 am

islandglo, I just looked at Ticketmaster.ca and there are still some good seats left for the Vancouver show. They're approximately $163 which is the second level pricing and the seats are definitely not in the nosebleeds. If you're willing to sit alone, you will likely have a chance to get an even better seat. If I were you, I would totally snatch up a ticket real fast and take the ferry here for the show. What do you think?
Leonard Cohen is my soulmate.
wittykat

Post by wittykat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 am

I'm in Vancouver too and saw Leonard at the O2. I had pretty wonderful seats (8th row), but I looked behind me and it was SCARY. The experience wouldn't have been nearly the same in such a huge arena much further back... I don't see the point, you'll just be watching a TV screen with a lot of other people...you can just rent a movie theatre, put on a video of his London show and invite your friends - it will be cheaper. GM Place is a horrid venue to do a Leonard Cohen show at... I got a pair of tickets that are not TERRIBLE, but still quite far back in 16th row, I'm not even sure it's worth it for those seats - and those are considered quite good. I need 4 cheaper seats and everything I see is WAYYYY far back...it's terrible.
wittykat

Post by wittykat » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:10 am

Those who saw him at the Beacon are soooo lucky! What a great venue. And intimate enough for his show.

Radio City should be good too, though a bit bigger.
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:22 am

wittykat, are you 16th row on the floor?
wittykat

Post by wittykat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:19 am

Yes, floor. Which is not TOO bad in comparison to what's available - but keep in mind that the floor at GM Place is flat. And I'm not tall.
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:01 am

wittykat wrote:Yes, floor. Which is not TOO bad in comparison to what's available - but keep in mind that the floor at GM Place is flat. And I'm not tall.
wittykat, I'm on the floor too. I'm curious why you say that GM Place is a bad venue for Leonard's show. I've never seen him live before and never been to GM Place for a concert so if you could elaborate, that would be great. Do you have any idea about the floor plan yet? I can't seem to find any info on that. What section and seat numbers are you in?
malke

Post by malke » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:28 pm

So sorry to hear you're disappointed. I totally understand. It's like this incremental slide where you start with confidence about the seats you want to settling for sidelines or back orchestra or front balcony, middle balcony, whatever, and none of it was in your power and you end up with sucky seats despite your mighty efforts. But... unless you mange to get better seats, why not go and see how you feel? If you hate it, you could leave, but maybe, even though you're so far away, you would love it? Maybe the crowd and his energy would make you feel part of it anyway?

Malke
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:28 am

Wittykat,

Have you been to any LC concerts on this tour? I was at Wilfred Laurier/Place des Arts for the Montreal Concert, quite far away from the stage, up in the balcony, and the show was spellbinding. I was lucky enough to obtain (much, much better) tickets through the Forum for the Beacon. Based on almost all reports of tour concerts posted here, there is a palpable respect at these concerts that flows both ways – audience to Leonard, Leonard to audience – that results in a most extraordinary experience.

I'm from Vancouver, and debated whether to go to GM place (a vast sports arena), but decided to go ahead, and I KNOW I won't regret it, even with the iffy tickets I got (23rd row/ floor).

I promise you, it will be exceptional.
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:45 am

imaginary friend wrote: I'm from Vancouver, and debated whether to go to GM place (a vast sports arena), but decided to go ahead, and I KNOW I won't regret it, even with the iffy tickets I got (23rd row/ floor).

imaginary friend, I'm worried because I keep reading that people on the floor at GM Place are NOT happy with their seats. Row 23 should be fairly close to the stage I think? Huge theatre though. Do you know anything about the floor plan yet, like which section you're in? I'm in row 9 on the floor and I HOPE those will be good seats, a bit worried though.
sue7

Post by sue7 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 pm

Islandglo, don't be sad. It really is as mabeanie said: we had tickets in the last row for the Beacon concert (I know it's not an enormous arena; don't know if your venue is), but it truly didn't matter. I bought binoculars, so that we each had our own pair, and that made an incredible difference in terms of feeling connected to the stage. His presence is so extraordinary: I swear there was a moment when it really felt like he was looking at me and singing to me, even knowing that of course that was ridiculous and impossible. It will be an extraordinary experience, no matter where you're sitting. Enjoy!!
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Icono-Bitch,

Here's a link to pdf of seating at GM Place. I'm in Section 118 (off to the side but near the stage) but WAY back of that section (Row 21, not 23 as I'd thought).

http://www.generalmotorsplace.com/image ... t-Bowl.pdf

Row 9 sounds good, depending which section. If you're still not clear on where you're sitting, try http://www.gmplace.com for more info...
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:13 pm

imaginary friend, thank you for the PDF file, I hadn't been able to find that online. I'm confused tho, I thought you were on the floor? Mine are on the floor, row 9 and I think a little to the right.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Don't worry, I'M the confused one – my tickets for Victoria are on the ones on the floor (Back Floor, Row 23), Vancouver tickets are the side/upper seats. Interestingly, the Vancouver tickets were almost twice the cost of Victoria. Both were 'best available', so I grabbed 'em.
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:40 am

Folks who still are trying to buy should be aware that the "best available" may in fact not be as good as the "best available" that comes up if you try again. The trick, of course, is that you risk losing your chance altogether.

The other day when the Chicago presale started, I think it was on my third attempt that I would have had a chance for tickets in the pit (BBB). Not in my budget whatsoever, but it's fun to fantasize about.
Iconoclastic_Bitch

Post by Iconoclastic_Bitch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm

imaginary friend,

You lucky bum, you have great seats to BOTH shows! I bet you'll be extra happy with the Victoria show because from what I understand it seats about 7 thousand, whereas GM Place seats about 21 thousand and is far less intimate. I've been trying to get decent seats to Victoria's show but they're very pricey, I don't mind paying a bit more than face value, but I don't want to pay through the nose. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Vancouver but if you plan on having dinner here before the show, I can recommend some fantastic restaurants. My best friend and I are going to research some of Leonard's fave food/drink (aside from tea & oranges!) and go for a meal somewhere that we think he may like, really make a day and evening of it.

denalynn,

I noticed that about the 'best available' as well. There is the possibility of course that when people pass on tickets, they get sent back into the pot so you might get better seats if you search a few times. However, I've been checking Ticketmaster during quiet periods and it all seems very random. I bought tickets in person at 10 AM on the dot, and still got second level price seats, I imagine the best seats were bought up by promoters or something. I'm going to the Vancouver show and oddly, there are still lots of good seats left - I thought it would have sold out in a hot minute.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”