Red Rocks concert

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tvc15

Red Rocks Concert - June 2, 2009 - Possible RAINOUT?

Post by tvc15 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Any other ticketholders out there concerned about tonight's show going forward as scheduled? I live next to the Red Rocks and it's been raining heavy for 12 solid hours, and expected to continue all day, solid, with a forcast high of only 48. :( Who'd expect this kind of weather in June?!

My story is this: I bought tickets for my father and his wife as an early Father's Day gift. Tickets weren't inexpensive to start with, and I paid twice as much for them to secure them 2nd row seats. I did it because my dad is a huge fan of Leonard (and he's not a fan of anyone!) My dad is a very hard working, generous, responsible man. Vietnam vet, with two tours of duty. Raised four kids and has never asked anyone for anything. This was the one gift I could give him he'd never give himself.

Anyway, my point is this: he's in his early 70s, his wife late 60s. I imagine a lot of ticketholders for tonight's show are in the same age range. If this weather doesn't greatly improve (and it isn't forecast to...) it won't just be uncomfortable, it'll be downright irresponsible to go. As big a fan as my Dad is of Mr. Cohen, sitting in rain for 3+ hours in 40 degree weather is likely to wind a person his age up in a hospital. So, he'll probably not go.

My story ends with $1,000.00 worth of cardstock I have sitting in an envelope here in the form of two tickets that are very likely to go unused. I greatly urge Mr. Cohen to do what's right by his fans. If Red Rocks provides an untennable venue for tonight's show, please reschedule. Thank you for listening.

Michelle Beckman
Golden, CO
Cate

Re: Red Rocks Concert - June 2, 2009 - Possible RAINOUT?

Post by Cate » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

Oh Michelle - your dad's fine, he will be fine. Don't wrap him up in bubble wrap ... get him a good rain slicker and make sure he's wearing a nice wooly sweater underneath ... he won't break, he's going to have a blast. Just think of his can you believe it stories he's going to have ... just think how nice a warm cup of hot chocolate will feel.... oh your Dads been through worse weather then this ... this is just another adventure.

edit -came back to add this is assuming that there are no exceptional health concerns to consider.
jacksonmelnick

RED ROCKS POSTPONED TO THURSDAY JUNE 4

Post by jacksonmelnick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm

The Red Rocks show has been postponed to Thursday due to weather. More details at redrocksonline.com
jacksonmelnick

Re: RED ROCKS CONCERT

Post by jacksonmelnick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm

The shows been rescheduled to Thursday......
rwaysdorf

Re: RED ROCKS POSTPONED

Post by rwaysdorf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:23 pm

I know this is painful for those from elsewhere, but the forecast for Thursday is sunny and 77. Oh well.
rwaysdorf

Post by rwaysdorf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Postponed until Thursday June 4. Forecast: sunny (until sunset) and 77.
tvc15

Post by tvc15 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Thank you Cate! Fortunately, yes, he is in generally good health, but prone to respiratory infections, which can be serious at that age, so of course I worry.

My dad needs nothing, asks for nothing -- never has. Just minds his business, lays low, does for others. Extremely self-sufficient, low maintenance, humble. He "needs" nothing, and "wants" even less. A very honorable man, who's sacrificed a lot for me.

You know the type -- you can't buy this guy a gift. When I mentioned this concert and he said he'd actually want to go?! I was floored! He's not exactly a concert goer ... if you know what I mean. So, I went out bought the best tickets money could buy. :) Finally, there was something I could give to him.

This concert truly is a once in a lifetime experience for him. Tonight, he deserves. Hopefully he'll be there, second row, dead center. Look for him -- if you see some older handsome dude all bundled up, looking like a tick, that's prolly him. :-D Thanks again.

*wishing for better weather here....*
gram

Post by gram » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 pm

I was just about to start a thread on that topic, so thanks. Sitting in wet and cold weather did not sound very enjoyable, so I am glad it was postponed. Hope it doesn't inconvenience too many people?

Red Rocks Weather->

Current weather: Showers will continue along the east slopes of the Front Range through noon...with scattered showers in areas further west. Rainfall rates of up to a quarter inch in an hour are possible with some of the heavier showers. The snow level will be around eight thousand five hundred feet...with some accumulation at higher elevations.

Tonight's weather: Rain showers in the evening...decreasing after midnight. Lows 32 to 40.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm

tcv15,

You are right to be concerned about your parents. Thankfully,it's been postponed until Thursday at this point when the weather will probably be better. If you've been to Red Rocks before, you know there are also all those steps to contend with before even reaching the venue itself.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
tvc15

Post by tvc15 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 pm

This is such WONDERFUL NEWS! Thank you rwaysdorf!! :)))

I hope the reschedule doesn't too badly inconvenience folks who are travelling in to see the show. PM me if I can be of any help. ????

But with this artist -- in this venue -- in good early summer weather?! Truly a special, magical evening will be had by all. I was just up in Red Rocks last weekend. Wildflowers in full bloom. Colors at peak.

I just called my dad. He's so thrilled. :-D Thanks again!!
crbelshe

Post by crbelshe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Oh my god this cannot be happening! Is this common at Red Rocks? My girlfriend and I have come on such a tight schedule and at great expense to have it rained out that there is no way we can attend on Thursday. Does anybody know what the policy is on refunds - is there a possibility they might go ahead with the concert or is has it been cancelled for good? Oh my goodness we are devastated. Any and all informatin would be appreciated. Thank you.
gram

Post by gram » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:10 pm

It is extremely rare to have a concert canceled, but it has been raining very heavily all night, and it is going to be very wet and chilly tonight. But it is canceled.

THIS CONCERT HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR THURSDAY, JUNE 4 DUE TO WEATHER. ALL TICKETS FROM TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2009 SHOW WILL BE HONORED FOR THURSDAY, JUNE 4th SHOW, OR REFUNDS AVAILABLE AT POINT OF PURCHASE. ALL REFUNDS MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO THURSDAY’S NIGHT SHOW.
crbelshe

Post by crbelshe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you for the information. We are devastated over this news as there is no way we can stay for the rescheduled show. I cannot believe this is happening. This was probably our one and only time to see Leonard Cohen. Is it wrong for a grown man to cry? I appreciate the information nontheless.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Gram has already posted this, but I'm doing it again because this is the official press release from AEG Live.
LEONARD COHEN
Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
POSTPONED to THURSDAY, JUNE 4th, 2009

***TONIGHT’S LEONARD COHEN SHOW POSTPONED TO THIS THURSDAY, JUNE 4th AT RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE - DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS ***
ALL TICKETS FROM TUESDAY, JUNE 2, 2009 SHOW WILL BE HONORED FOR THURSDAY, JUNE 4th SHOW OR REFUNDS AVAILABLE AT POINT OF PURCHASE
ALL REFUNDS MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO THURSDAY’S NIGHT SHOW
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Just got back from Red Rocks. Saw the road crew moving around equipment on trucks. I said, "Looks like the concert is still happenning." Answer - "No, it's cancelled until Thursday." There are so many people on tight schedules, and people who flew in just for this (we came in from Ohio) that are going to be devasted and will not be able to change their plans. Could not management have found an indoor venue last minute in which to move the concert (Denver Coliseum comes to mind), if not for today, then for tomorrow which would be more doable for some folks? If not, I know the band would want to get together with us poor unfortunate souls who will now not be able to attend to compensate in some way for the devastation of not being able to see this concert, right :razz: :D :roll: :? ?

Kindest regards,

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”