Red Rocks concert

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
brightnow

Re: RED ROCKS CONCERT

Post by brightnow »

Or we could just wait and see... I'm looking forward to setup and sounds check tomorrow, will be fun to watch! :D
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
sue7

Re: RED ROCKS POSTPONED TO THURSDAY JUNE 4

Post by sue7 »

I just wanted to add my voice to the many who've already sympathized/empathized with those who will not be able to stay until Thursday. I was longing to be there, but it was impossible for me. Now to hear that so many people who have waited so long will not be able to stay for Thursday's show, and that for some (many?) it was their only chance, seems just so so sad. I hope that the meet-up last night helped a little.
Who knows what October and beyond will bring? A band member told me in New York that the tour would continue past September 24, so let's keep hoping that it's North America again!
mutti

Post by mutti »

This morning at 8am I went up to Red Rocks to see the site. So amazing there...the deer wandering all over the place, the red rock formations were beautiful and the ampitheater was awesome.
20 minutes before boarding my plane home I checked my email. 2 work colleagues had emailed me to stay and not worry about work that they would take care of it and cover for me. I was seriously considering not boarding the plane....staying...
but I have to go to Canada on Saturday and have out of town guests on Friday so it all seemed like too much. Now that I am home again and looking at the webcam of Red Rocks I feel like getting back on the plane.
I hope all who make it have a wonderful time.
A friend sent me an email after I wrote him an update on "The concert that never was ".
I am including it below as I liked it so much.

"An allegorical tale to be sure. This is your koan, or should I say cohen".

Mutti (Leslie)
Hi Mary, George and Lizzie and Kelsey!
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mutti

Post by mutti »

Please add this to my last post.
Forget to also say hi to Gregg and Roman and Diana!
Mutti (aka Leslie)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Setup has started (and a bank of fog moved in almost at the same time!)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
gram

Post by gram »

Lets all cross our fingers for a beautiful evening weather wise, it is Colorado so please be prepared, here is the current forecast for today:

Today forecast
Partly sunny. Scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be severe with damaging winds and large hail late in the afternoon. Highs 66 to 76. Chance of thunderstorms 30 percent.

Tonight forecast
Mostly cloudy. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the 40s. West winds 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Chance of thunderstorms 20 percent.

I am very excited and can't wait until the evening unfolds! :D
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Does anyone know how to expand the Webcam shot to fill the entire screen?
I would like to watch the Webcam tonight while listening to his albums.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

bridger15 wrote: I would like to watch the Webcam tonight while listening to his albums.
What a wonderful idea. I do hope they keep it running during concerts. It might also be some small consolation to those people who had to go home before tonight's rescheduled show. I must admit, I did have a look at Ticketmaster earlier to see what tickets were available. It was heartbreaking to be allocated tickets centre front in row 2 (first available row after the wheelchairs) knowing it meant someone had been looking forward to the show and was not in a position to stay on in Denver the extra couple of days.

Wendy
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, wonder is Democracy on the set list for tonight?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
rmura

Post by rmura »

bridger15 wrote:Does anyone know how to expand the Webcam shot to fill the entire screen?
I would like to watch the Webcam tonight while listening to his albums.
You can get just the image (1024 x 768) by using the URL:

http://www.redrocksonline.com/webcam/redrocks_0-0.jpg

I think you'll have to refresh the image yourself, however, by reloading it.

Ron
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

burningviolin wrote:Today is the 20th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, wonder is Democracy on the set list for tonight?
And today's also 20 years since the democracy came to Eastern and Central Europe - June 4, 1989 was the day of first (partially) free elections in any European communist country - in Poland. Solidarity movement won, Party lost and that's how "the Autumn of Nations" started.

The real celebration in Europe will be in Fall, because everybody remember the Berlin wall coming down, but the actual end of the Communist system started in June on Polish elections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn_of_Nations
In April 1989, Solidarity was again legalized and allowed to participate in parliamentary elections on June 4, 1989 (incidentally, the day following the midnight crackdown on Chinese protesters in Tiananmen Square). A political earthquake followed. The victory of Solidarity surpassed all predictions. Solidarity candidates captured all the seats they were allowed to compete for in the Sejm, while in the Senate they captured 99 out of the 100 available seats (with the one remaining seat taken by an independent candidate). At the same time, many prominent Communist candidates failed to gain even the minimum number of votes required to capture the seats that were reserved for them. A new non-Communist government, the first of its kind in former Eastern Bloc, was sworn into office in September 1989.
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
bridger15 wrote: I would like to watch the Webcam tonight while listening to his albums.
What a wonderful idea. I do hope they keep it running during concerts. It might also be some small consolation to those people who had to go home before tonight's rescheduled show. I must admit, I did have a look at Ticketmaster earlier to see what tickets were available. It was heartbreaking to be allocated tickets centre front in row 2 (first available row after the wheelchairs) knowing it meant someone had been looking forward to the show and was not in a position to stay on in Denver the extra couple of days.

Wendy
Yes, I was one of those with a 2nd row ticket, unable to stay in Denver. I met at least a dozen people at our one hotel who had all flown in from around the world, and were unable to stay. I imagine there are literally many dozens if not in the hundreds affected by this. And I'm afraid the webcam is small consolation when I had a seat 2nd row right in front of Javier. Today is a most depressing day. I do realize that nobody controls the weather, but I am frustrated that they advertised the show "rain or shine" and that an indoor venue was not identified as a backup. Had the promotion been more accurate or had the alternate venue been scouted, it would have saved all of us a great deal of time, money, wasted anticipation and heartache.
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
novabella

Re: Red Rocks concert

Post by novabella »

An update to my situation since last posting on Tuesday. I'm so happy to say I was able to rearrange my vacation plans around the rescheduling of the concert. My carefully planned for "24 hour Denver adventure" which was supposed to be from noon Tuesday to noon Wednesday has been extended to noon Friday. Big shout out to Southwest Airlines who graciously allowed me to change my flights for $20 ($10/person) when it was going to be a $234 ($117/person) upgrade since it was a last minute change. The two day delay has also allowed me to experience more of Denver and even a day trip to Boulder. I am happy to say I've made the best of it and am really glad it worked out for me.

I did attempt to go to the meet-up on Tuesday night with everyone but didn't arrive until 9:30pm. I'm pretty sure I saw the Leonard Cohen meet-up group cross Bear Creek Road to the parking lot across from the restaurant but I can't be sure. I actually thought the meet up would go on for longer. Since I have been staying downtown for two nights, I haven't had a chance to meet any of the other die-hards from the forum here. I don't know how many ended up staying at that hotel in Morrison that was talked about here. I'm looking forward to meeting the ones that could remain for the show tonight. I am so very sorry to those of you that were not able to stay. My heart was just breaking reading all of your stories. I know I will be thinking about you tonight. So many sweet people on this forum.

I'm going to be heading down to Red Rocks shortly. Hopefully will be enjoying some nature, a picnic, a possible soundcheck and maybe a meet-up still at the merchandise area. I will be wearing a long, midnight blue hooded wool sweater (closest I have to a famous blue raincoat!) so please feel free to introduce yourself if you happen to see me! Warm wishes to all the Leonard lovers...
San Diego- April 7th, 2009, Red Rocks- June 4nd, 2009, Las Vegas- November 12th, 2009, San Jose- November 13th, 2009
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

novabella,

That's wonderful news! I'm so happy a few have been able to make arrangements to stay. From our original group, only Mary and Diana were able to stay on as far as I know. Terribly disappointed and to be honest, aching for the concert to be over so I can stop torturing myself! I don't even know if I'll be able to bear looking at the webcam, knowing I should have been there right up front. For those who can be there, I hope you'll think of the many, many who had to go home - and enjoy the show even more than usual! And please take and post lots of pictures so we can share a bit of the experience.

Have a wonderful time!

Kelsey
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I can't see the webcam at all...just a red x in the corner. anyone else having trouble?
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”