Red Rocks concert

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
John K.

Re: RED ROCKS POSTPONED

Post by John K. »

crbelshe wrote:Thank you for the information. We are devastated over this news as there is no way we can stay for the rescheduled show. I cannot believe this is happening. This was probably our one and only time to see Leonard Cohen. Is it wrong for a grown man to cry? I appreciate the information nontheless.
Hi - I am so sorry for you and everyone else who are being forced to miss the concert Thursday. Crying seems like an appropriate response.

John K.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
Darling

Re: RED ROCKS POSTPONED TO THURSDAY

Post by Darling »

What a disappointment ! I'm sorry for you all who will have to miss the show. I agree with John K. about the only appropriate response and I hope you can find a good shoulder.
a.ephroni

RED ROCKS CONCERT POSTPONED

Post by a.ephroni »

RED ROCKS CONCERT POSTPONED TIL 6/4!!!
http://www.redrocksonline.com/news_details.asp?id=97
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
What a mess. airline tix, hotel.... ick.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Oh no! This is terrible.
I hope some of you guys out there can find a way to stick around until Thursday.
Those who can't -- I am so sorry that this is happening to you :(
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Devastated!!!! I was just up at Red Rocks, saw the trucks unloading, then learned from the visitor center that the concert was just canceled. It was not even raining when I was there just an hour ago! :( Had the tickets not said "rain or shine" I would never have gone to so much trouble and expense to get here.

I can't begin to describe how terrible this is! By visiting Ticketmaster's website 4 or 5 times a day for weeks, I was able to get a 2nd row seat, just in front of Javier. My husband rearranged his work schedule so he could care for our toddler, while I flew to see my all-time favorite musician, for probably the last time. I had to get clearance from my doctor to fly at my late stage in pregnancy. And though I can get a refund for the ticket itself, I am out many hundreds of dollars for airfare, hotel and rental car. Worst of all, like many others here, I must fly home tomorrow and the concert I have so greatly anticipated for months will not happen for me.

A number of us forum members are gathered in our hotel lobby, truly heartbroken at this decision. Please Leonard, as you so often say, "try to be kind." Can the concert not go on? What can be done? We're here patiently waiting...

Could you fly a private jet to Spokane on Thursday and pick me up for the show? This might ease the pain! :D
Last edited by KaimiK on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
brightnow

Re: Red Rocks Concert - June 2, 2009 - Possible RAINOUT?

Post by brightnow »

My heart still breaks for those who cannot stay until Thursday and will miss the concert because of the postponement.
Still, it is good to know that the same postponement will allow a very deserving fan to attend :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
MEB

Post by MEB »

I'm so sorry for everyone who is now going to miss the concert and who are loosing hundreds of dollars in the process. Also please spare a thought for the crew/band and all there families who must be so disappointed that they won't be home as soon as they thought.
Toronto June 6th 2008, Vienna Sept. 24 & 25 2008, NYC May 16th & 17th 2009, Dublin July 23rd 2009, Belfast July 26th 2009...
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

We know that Leonard and the band have played in rain before and in cold and in extreme heat so if there was any way possible for the concert to go forward, it would be happening. I don't know about any alternate venue but I'm sure if this was feasible, they would have accepted that option. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else. I'm here in Colorado and I doubt I can stay for Thursday's concert. But weather is one of those things that none of us, even the great and wonderful Leonard, can control.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

My heart is broken too! Such plotting and planning and expense to get here. Separation anxiety at being away overnight from my little girl for the first time. And, all for nothing! No way I can stay, truly devastated. And yet another person just arrived at the hotel and learned the news... This is not pretty... :cry:
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
valissa

Post by valissa »

i have a feeling he is going to play at an impromtu concert and at indoor venue tonight. anyone have any ideas where?
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Megan2c2b wrote:We know that Leonard and the band have played in rain before and in cold and in extreme heat so if there was any way possible for the concert to go forward, it would be happening.
Coming from northern Europe, where summer concerts in fiendishly heavy rain are almost the norm, I find it almost inconceivable that this concert should have been postponed. The only time I am aware of where they even came close to cancelling a concert was when an electric storm threatened the electrics, though they decided to go ahead in the end. Having said that, someone mentioned a lot of stairs up to the venue so there could well have been major safety issues if the steps became very slippery in the wet.

I feel so sorry for all the people who have travelled in for the show on a tight schedule. I have done it so often myself (including two overnight trips from the UK to NYC for the Beacon and Radio City Music Hall shows earlier this year) and if I could have made it to Denver this week I would probably be sharing your disappointment in person right now. You just keep your fingers crossed and hope everything works out, but sometimes it doesn't. I know Leonard and his management would do anything they could to make it right for you all but it's difficult to see what they can do in this situation. An extra concert at a later date for example just isn't going to fix it for KaimiK and others.

My husband made an interesting comment: he said Red Rocks was notorious for weather problems and it was quite common for concerts to be rescheduled to an indoor venue in Denver. Is this right?

Wendy
sweetdaisy

Post by sweetdaisy »

I really hope they come through somehow. We spent a lot of money to come here from NYC today and cannot stay until Thursday. We are just devastated!! :cry:
sweetdaisy

Post by sweetdaisy »

That would be the best thing ever. We just arrived from NYC and are devastated! We can't stay until the Thursday show as we both have work commitments back in NY. UGH.....just so upset right now!! :cry:
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I have now talked to a couple of members of Leonard's crew and this issue of an alternate venue is a mystery to everyone. Every venue that Leonard plays has to be scouted and surveyed to make certain it is acceptable. It takes hours to set up all the lighting and sound equipment. They begin first thing in the morning for an 8 pm show. So, there is no way they could play down the street at a venue they've never seen and be ready in a couple of hours. An alternate venue would not be feasible.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Lota

Post by Lota »

I am terribly sorry for the people who came from somewhere far for the concert and cannot stay till Thursday. I am in Denver and it has been raining terribly (plus lightning and thunder). As romantic as it may be - it would be uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe for an outdoor venue.
I hope Leonard is staying somewhere warm and romantic and will be in top form on Thursday.
If I came from somewhere for the concert and couldn't stay, I would be crying, for sure. But life is unpredictable, as we know.

I loom forward to Thursday now.

Lota

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”