Chicago

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
denalynn2001

Re: Chicago

Post by denalynn2001 »

I'm one of those people who has been unable to get tickets and is incredibly burned about it (see http://www.linkadelica.com), but for what it's worth the Burnham for $109 is an incredible deal. It's a very nice hotel and couldn't be much closer to the venue.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Well, I certainly have empathy for anyone who wanted a ticket to hear ol' Lenny sing and couldn't get one. I know that I would have been extremely disappointed and as it was I was quite shocked to discover that there was nothing available at 11:30 this morning when I checked (with dreams of getting better seats).

It does seem to me that there is some skullduggery going on in the ticket business (and others are better at documenting it than me). I do, though, wish to absolve dear Leonard of any responsibility. I think that he has rightly focused all of his attention on performing a wonderful concert-and in my mind from the three concerts that we have already attended-he has done a spectacular job of this. So please leave him off the villain list. His life's work in creativity has already cost him millions for focusing on that aspect rather than the mundane details that might have saved him from having to go out at 74 to earn a living again. If you are lucky enough to get a ticket, raise a glass to thank the fates that allowed him to be bilked, but moreso, raise a glass for his enormous capability to concentrate his amazing abilities-in spite of this terrible turmoil-to benefit us. Keep working like he would do to get a ticket and experience.

The second Chicago show beckons.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
wondercookie

Re: hotel

Post by wondercookie »

Wow! Good deal on the Hotel, Joe.... I'm too chicken to try Priceline, so will stick with the Embassy Suites.. ..I know you can pick your area, but downtown/loop Chicago has a LOT of hotels..but you did GREAT!
And thanks, panjandrum, for the tip about the Pizza place....Chicago Pizza would give Irish pub fare a run for the money...but do they have Smithwicke's or Guiness? ;-)
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 »

Oh, I am disappointed not to have tickets and pissed off with the system, but I refuse to direct any ill will towards LC. Much to the contrary, I remain a fan and am deeply respectful of the work he puts into his everything he does. In the end, I hope this tour and the associated products help him get his finances back on an even keel.

We'll see if the rumored second Chicago show comes to fruition, as I suspect it may just be wishful thinking. I'll keep watching for tickets, but I won't pay ridiculously inflated prices to a broker because I don't have the money and I really don't want to reinforce that system.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

See Jarkko's topic ' Four extra shows announced - with new presales'. He has granted your wish for another Chicago show :D .
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 »

I am smiling, first time today. At least now I feel like I have a fair shot!

I really didn't dare to believe it.

D
A Brick in the Wall

Post by A Brick in the Wall »

denalynn2001 wrote:I am smiling, first time today. At least now I feel like I have a fair shot!

D
Just dont be late...... ;-)
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 »

A Brick in the Wall wrote:
denalynn2001 wrote:I am smiling, first time today. At least now I feel like I have a fair shot!

D
Just dont be late...... ;-)
Well if I am it's my own damn fault. :D

You have no idea how annoyed I was when I managed to miss the fan presale. I've been checking this board off and on since last year, more so this year when I knew he was coming. I then got very busy with various things including a trip to Philadelphia to see Rufus Wainwright at Verizon Hall. When I saw I had just missed the fan presale I totally kicked myself but I had to hope there would be something left for the public sale date.

I still don't want to spend more than $100/ticket, but we'll see what we see. I am appropriately thankful for the opportunity to buy, regardless.

D
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi denalynn2001,

Just a couple of tips-have your ticketmaster account all set up in advance. When you log in to ticketmaster, it should welcome you. At 10:00 AM Thursday, use the the links that our good friend and wonderful webmaster, Jarkko has provided-don't try to access ticketmaster on your own. Be prepared to either accept some mediocre tickets like I did, or have the courage to throw them back to try to get better ones-but if that causes you to lose out-it was your choice. Good luck to you! I'm still working on my wife to try and stay for the next concert-she tells me I should be glad that I've already had the ones we had and not to press my luck and her good will.

Warm regards,

Joe
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear MaryB-
It's hard to believe that we didn't meet since we attended the same concerts in Kitchener and Hamilton-perhaps we nodded in passing-were you the one who threw the stuffed monkey on the stage?

Anyway, hope you have a great time at the concerts you are attending and perhaps we'll meet at another one.

Alice,

We are really looking forward to meeting you. I read many years ago that people have a difficult time meeting new friends once they've left high school. It has been our experience to meet wonderful, new, lifelong friends, through our Leonard Cohen connection. It is surely through these connections that a whole new aspect of our lives has opened up-it is these things that keep the remaining possibilities of us attending a second show in Chicago (despite Anne's protestations that we are spending too much money on it!).

Warm regards,

Joe
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 »

Thanks for the info, Joe. I have learned from experience the part about being logged in and having all your ducks lined up, but I wouldn't necessarily have thought to log on from here.

As for your wife, you tell her this. My spouse yelled at me for buying tickets to see Jeff Buckley 2 nights in a row at the Green Mill, but I did it anyway and have never regretted it for a moment. The next time he came through town and played at Metro I was working, but I told myself I would have another chance. You know the rest.

Just how many chances do we have for peak experiences?

D
martbook

Post by martbook »

A guy I know who was a big Cream fan heard about the reunion concert at Albert Hall a few years ago. He and buddy calculated what it would cost to go with airfare and decided their wives would never go for it.

Months later he was watching the concert on PBS with his wife, and she turned to him and said: "Great concert, You should have gone!"

By the way Mr Way. That was one of the bartenders at The Harmony!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Joe Way wrote:Dear MaryB-
It's hard to believe that we didn't meet since we attended the same concerts in Kitchener and Hamilton-perhaps we nodded in passing-were you the one who threw the stuffed monkey on the stage?

Anyway, hope you have a great time at the concerts you are attending and perhaps we'll meet at another one.

Joe
Hello Joe,
Yes, that would be me. Gave another monkey (no undergarments :razz: ) to Roscoe Beck to pass onto LC or Dino (who really seems to get a kick out of it) at the VIP reception at the Beacon (Roscoe did remember the Hamilton monkey as he asked if I was the culprit :lol: ). Wish we were doing Chicago with you, but time constraints, etc. :cry: . Would love to finally meet you and your wife! Hopefully some other occasion.
Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi denalynn2001,
You might also try opening two Ticketmaster windows at the same time. Refresh until they go on sale. As soon as tickets start selling start the purchase process on the first window. While the first window is searching for your tickets,(after you type in the recaptcha phrase) go to the other window to start the whole process. Go back to the first window to check the seats you were offered, remembering you only have 2:15 minutes to claim them. Switch over to the second window, seats should be up by this time, compare the two windows, make the decision to purchase, or if you are gutsy and quick enough, give up the less desirable seats and start the process again on the less desirable window. Unfortunately, for some reason, on some of these concerts this time around there is no logic to Ticketmaster's 'best available' (this being most evident during the Columbia, Md. sale when my best seat finally came up 40minutes after the sale started - I'm not saying you should do this - just passing on my experience). Practice on some of the other venue concerts in advance if you can to become familiar with the process. Hope I didn't confuse you - Good Luck!
Best regards,
Mary
sarahstefanko

Post by sarahstefanko »

Hi, everyone,

I didn't manage to get a ticket to the May 5 show and the only single tickets available from sellers are $236 and up, which is way out of my price range. But now that a May 6 show has been added with a presale, I wonder whether anyone with a May 5 ticket would prefer a May 6 one, and be willing to exchange with me when I purchase a May 6 ticket? I'm coming from Milwaukee but I don't drive, and a friend of mine is going on the 5th so it would be a huge help transportation-wise if I could go that night. I'm hoping to land a 55.50 seat, but could go up to 99 if I knew before I bought the ticket Thursday morning that someone in any of those sections would be willing to trade nights.

Or, if anyone has a spare ticket to the show on the 5th, I'd be happy to purchase it from you. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Sarah

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”