CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
deborahehrlich

CONCERT REPORT: New York, Feb 19 at the Beacon

Post by deborahehrlich »

Tom Sakic wrote:[As we did before, I edited this into one thread dedicated to NYC February 19, 2009 show, and here's the correct setlist on the top of the thread.
Tom]

First Set:
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On a Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who by Fire?
Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
Sisters of Mercy
Anthem

Second Set:
Tower of Song
Suzanne
The Gypsy's Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Take This Waltz

First Encore:
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore:
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Democracy

Third Encore:
I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest

We went to the Beacon concert tonight and it was incredible! We really feel blessed that we were able to attend the show thanks to a wonderful fan club member who sold me his tickets. We have a ton of great photos that I am happy to send to anyone who is interested in seeing them. We did have an unfortunate incident at the show though and I am really hoping that someone can help me. We got to the show early and bought 6 shirts for ourselves and a few friends from the forum and put them under my seat. At some point during the second set, someone stole the bag with all 6 shirts from under my seat. We didn't notice it until after the show. We tried to buy new shirts but they were sold out of all the larger sizes. So if anyone happens to have an extra gray shirt with the Beacon concert design on it in large or extra large, please let me know as I would love to buy one from someone. Also, did anyone happen to get a photo of the Beacon sign where it said "Leonard Cohen Sold Out"? We were so thrown off by the t-shirt incident that we forgot to take a shot ourselves.
prefixmag

New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Post by prefixmag »

Thought you guys might like the review of the show we posted tonight.

http://www.prefixmag.com/features/leona ... tre/26253/

Thanks.
canuck

Re: Review of Beacon Theatre Show (02.19.09)

Post by canuck »

Here's the billboard review:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/leo ... 3330.story

What a set list! What a show it must have been.
mirka

Post by mirka »

Last edited by mirka on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Paula

Post by Paula »

Oh I missed a great show. I think this set should have been the one released on DVD.

He must have been on stage for hours.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
cpl593h

NEW YORK GIG - what happened at pre-show?

Post by cpl593h »

for those of us who couldn't make it, please can someone let us know how the pre-show reception went?

also, the more reviews of that amazing gig the better, thanks. see that dream set list!!!

thanks
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I've been brave about missing the show until now, but tears starting pricking when I read the setlist...
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

I shouldn't get too excited about that setlist. It's obvious that the journalist who posted it has lazily copied and pasted in error the whole published setlist including the "optional extra songs" or "swapsies" that have featured on all previously published setlists I have seen such as this one:

As Paula observed, it would have taken all night to perform all that lot.

..and it would be daft to perform "I tried to leave you" and then come back on for a third set.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hi Urpal - I was just about to say the same. It wouldn't Be Leonard Style to go on after Wither thou ghost and what do you expect, a four hour show ? How greedy can we get ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD »

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/C/Coh ... 1-sun.html

The link above has the set list as part of it's review.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
Paula

Post by Paula »

Henning - Whither thou ghost :lol: That could be the new theme tune for Ghost Busters.

As I was reading the set list it didn't make any sense but wouldn't it have been amazing if that was the set.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
gussiecat

Special Concert in New York

Post by gussiecat »

It was magnificent, it tore at your heart…..I was there last night in NYC. There will be reviews galore, so I offer you only my soul’s overview: it was a thrill of the deepest kind, passionate, tough, and sweet. It erased every pain you entered the theater with and replaced it with a joy close to sorrow. I had not seen him since 1992, but have followed his work so closely. This concert was heaven for me. I raced back to our room for the 12:01 announcement to find that he’ll be playing in my city as well – such gifts! But even if I don’t get to see him there, it won’t matter: tonight will last and last. Thank you Leonard, thank you. You have shown the world that age is an illusion, that art is personal and public all at once, that humans can rise higher than any of us can fathom in this sphere.

(And on a more practical note: no, I didn’t go to the pre-show, so I don’t know what happened, but am curious. Someone there mentioned some celebrities in attendance at the concert and I saw some limos outside, but not who was in them. Can’t wait for everyone else’s comments – I just couldn’t sleep in – had to get up and read the forum!)
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Below is a link to a sample from last nights special show in New York. Most of the (ground Floor) audience were on their feet for the last few songs.
Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MObKR4pFuC8

albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Yes, the Billboard setlist is only correct up to "Whither Thou Goest."
Thanks for the video, Albert: it's great. Do you have any more to post? I hope you do.

What an extraordinary, unbelievable night. My deepest thanks to Leonard for an unforgettable experience: I'm still trying to find the words for it. And thank you so so much to all who made it possible.
blackdress

Re: New York, February 19, 2009 - Beacon Theatre Show

Post by blackdress »

Thank you so much for the video. I think I was in front of you. Wonderful show. I was simply in tears with emotion.

I saw Richard Beltzer and Rufus Wainwright. Who else was there?

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”