Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Womanfromaroom

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by Womanfromaroom » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 am

Hi folks,

I have had a night with no sleep and a day of soul-searching trying to decide if I can go to NY and if I can afford it... And, sadly, I have now come to the conclusion that I cannot possibly. :( But that does not make me feel negative about the announcement, which I still find ultra-special, as I do Jarkko's commitment, and I just hope and am very confident that you lucky guys who will be there will have a great, great, great time! What a splendid, generous gesture of appreciation for his fans by Leonard, it just comes to show how extraordinarily open, warm-hearted and kind he is, even if OF COURSE! he cannot grant everybody the opportunity of having their books or CDs signed...
Ahhh, I just DO hope that maybe, maybe he will like the atmosphere of this so much himself that he and his management will find it possible or even positively desirable to repeat something similar in Europe some time in the future... For all of us here on the "old" continent who would so much love to be there on the 19th, but just won't be able to go for one reason or the other... Pleeeaase! :neutral:
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Grecian man

Post by Grecian man » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:03 am

This is a link showing James Taylor singing Fire & Rain at the Beacon ,
seems like a great venue to see Leonard in .
Will try my best to get tickets :razz:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=-T35WXFOm ... re=related
Most of the people who want to live forever don't know what to do
with themselves on a wet sunday afternoon ...........
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:51 am

That was a really nice post to read Glen.

I won't be able to go to New York for this concert, but I cannot complain. I had a great year last year thanks to Mr Cohen.
I am 20 years younger than him and I still cannot get over his incredible tour and all the faultless shows he did.
It was a dream to see him live.. I consider myself to be very priviliged to ' be alive the same time as him' and to have had the honour of watching him perform.

LONG LIVE LEONARD COHEN.
courage

Post by courage » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:57 am

All of us not going to NYC (statistically we are more fans not going). Of course - not everyone can go that distance - There is not ONE place in the world that can be good for everyone...
Now we are thinking about that sad thing for us - but I am starting to think- how are we feeling DURING the concert - waiting at home - ready to hear all comments.
I hope we all can get at least good information afterward - pls help us with that.
19xx - Göteborg
2008 - Got 12 Oct, Sto 15 Oct, CPH 17 Oct, Ham 31 Oct.
2009 - Cologne, Berlin,
2010 - Göteborg
2012 Copenhagen, Alborg, Göteborg
2013 Stockholm, Oslo - August
anneporter

Post by anneporter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 am

Thank you, Grecian man, for the James Taylor link.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 am

Would love to go but shouldn't since I did travel to Lyon to see him this summer. Now will have to wait patiently for SAN FRANCISCO! (which better the heck not be happening when I am in Chicago in April!) I hope all that get to go to NY have a wonderful time! Pictures and video, please...
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by pe swijngedouw » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 am

the beacon theatre looks wonderfull, somewhat like l'olympia in paris, so if you can choose tickets, try to get those in "loge center", seats numbered 110 - 113, or "loge right", numbers 2 - 8.
two reasons : first, the ticket price is more reasonable, and second, more important : mr cohen stands most of the time right in front of you, singing with all he's got inside of him, he is looking most of the time slightly upward, from under the rim of his hat, and i'm not sure that it is not "you", that he is looking at ; anyway it felt that way, back on that most memorable night in paris.
so, have a wonderful nght, you lucky newyorkers*, and let us share your impressions, afterwards.

* here, "newyorkers" are some kind of biscuits with bits of chocolate in it, that melt, when holding in your hand for too long, and that's what you will be doing, too, when in the palm of his hand.
good night, enjoy
pe
... precisely ...
loulou

Post by loulou » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:55 am

i just have a feeling that something else special is going to happen on the 19th, so i am happy for all of you who get to go, from near and far

unfortunately it is just not possible for me to raise the funds

no need to guess or ask me anything, as i really don't KNOW anything special at all, i just have a feeling - we can talk again on the 20th of feb about what i had in mind ;-)
desire the horse
depression the cart
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:59 am

To all those who are across the Atlantic (or even in the US) and not able to make it to New York but have positive comments, thank you SO much. So many of us sat patiently, on the Forum every day, reading your posts from Europe and eastern Canada, watching YouTube and reading the sometimes funny Google-translated media reports, and being SO happy for all of you and wishing we could be there too. For Europe it was not just once....but twice! Twice blessed by Leonard's concerts in one year. Now there is a special concert in New York for the fans....oh yes, and media. From all I read it looks like the media were at most, if not all of Leonards concerts. Ah, but this is the NY media....hmmm, perhaps different than the Dublin media?

We Cohenites in the US have become accustomed to people saying "Leonard who?". He is so well respected amongst his peers and artists in the US.....along with his devoted fans of course! However, some of the "general public" seem to associate him with the "song from Shrek"! So yes, perhaps the pre-kickoff to the US tour does need a little boost and if the special concert in New York on February 19th will do that then all the better for it!!! My hope is that his songs, poetry and the soul of the man himself may open up a whole new world of appreciation to thousands who may only know of him peripherally.

Many of us on this side of the pond travelled to Europe to see Leonard, and I know a few will be coming in the opposite direction also for the NY concert. However, let us all enjoy the moment and the excitement. Give us our time with the master! He may possibly be over to Europe again later this year and once again we'll be happy for you. Let us bask in this moment :D .

ps..this is only directed to a few negative posts....you know who you are...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 am

Eva...

I promise to fill you in on ALL the details! Wish you could be here.

Diana
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 am

Ladydi,

Thank you for saying so well what a large number of us also feel!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sue7

Post by sue7 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:48 am

Finally, finally, after months of checking in and hoping, and hundreds (perhaps thousands) of google alerts for "leonard cohen tour", there's a concert I can get to.
Thank you to everyone involved in arranging the concert; and thank you, Jarkko, for helping to organize this and for all the information on the forum. And thank you most of all to Leonard Cohen for coming to New York.
Now I just have to hope that I can get tickets. Can't wait for tomorrow: I feel like a little kid again.
amcgee

Post by amcgee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Tis i again.

I don't think i was too negative re the special announcement, if it was sorry, but thats my selfish opinion.

hope those who get tickets and go to it have a wonderful experiance, i have no doubt it will be a wonderful experiance. I would love to go, as it sounds like a very intimate guide, the gig which i went to in Dublin was advertised as an intimate gig, for which it certainly wasn't but it was a wonderful night. But this wasn't Cohen's fault, but the propmoters fault.
Finally re dylan and cohen. Dylan is possible one of the most influential artist of our time, just because his gigs are not great doesn't deflect vfrom his influence and popularity. Cohen comparison is legitimate, although i don't think even Cohen himself would claim to have the same popularity as Dylan , in terms of influence and popularity. Cohen's gigs a far superior gig and much more memorable performances than Dylan.
amcgee
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi amcgee,

No, no....nothing I wrote was directed to you but in general to some other negative remarks re "just a concert". I believe someone else said who would have thought any one of us would have made a comment like that this time last year. There just seemed to be some negativity floating across the Atlantic about the announcement and why wasn't it going to be televised etc etc...plus the milking comments.

This is Leonard's first US concert in many years and it is going to be wonderful :D . This is not part of the tour to come but special and I would hate to see certain fans attempting to creative a negative mood around it. Leonard is a generous, positive person and it's amazing to me that certain individuals feel there is some manipulation going on. I wish everyone in Europe who wanted to attend, could. But just as not everyone in the US could afford to travel to Europe in 2008 (I only could because I work for an airline!) and wanted to, the same scenario is now in reverse.

Fans in NZ and Australia waited patiently and I'm sure they aren't looking at the upcoming concerts as "just another one"!

So now we who can make it to New York are excited and happy and I, for one, am going to enjoy every single moment of it!

Once again, nothing was directed to you...I actually have appreciated your comments.
Diana
amcgee

Post by amcgee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi Diane

thanks for your comments., it certainly is great that Cohen is coming to America and hopefully he will also play Democracy extra loud at the concert.

I did mention the milking the fans in a previous post, which was a poor comment by myself and was more out of jealoucy that the concert was in America and not in my local area...

btw i do think your footer " Love is the only engine of Survival" for me is one of the best lines ever writtern, and it is a pity more people wouldn't live by it..

So good choice, but then again, Cohen has come up with so many incredible lines and songs that to pick a favourite line is a hard choice

enjoy the concert and all that goes with it.
amcgee

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”