Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
micropup2008

Re: Special Concert in New York

Postby micropup2008 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:45 pm

This is the first I've heard of this special concert or the April USA tour, although I have been a member for a long time and subscribed to various pages of the Forum. Jarkko, can you please let us know where/how to sign up to receive early presale notification about upcoming USA concerts. Thanks.
Ron
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:00 pm

We will post an announcement about the North American schedule as soon as we get the information confirmed by the tour management.
I don't think it will happen in the near future.

A notification will be on the front page of The LC Files, on Marie's Speaking Cohen website, and here, in this
same section (I will change the name of this section From "Special Concert in New York" to "The North American Tour"
after our February concert in New York. I can't say yet whether or not the tickets go on sale simultaneously with
the announcement or on a later day.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
micropup2008

Postby micropup2008 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks Jarkko. Boy, you are really "Johnny on the spot" (for you non-Americans, an American term for being extremely prompt). BTW, what is "marie's speaking cohen" website?
Ron
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:43 am

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
woolwork

Postby woolwork » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Did ANYONE get through on ticketmaster? does anyone have a ticket that they did not get through a scalper?
does Leonard have any idea of how dreadful this has been ... how full of disappointment for his fan base?
j.
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:44 pm

From the avalanche of emails coming in from members, I have concluded that hundreds of fans got their tickets, after all... Even on Friday, strangely enough: Looks like Ticketmaster was showing "No tickets" to many who tried to order, while some others did get through and got their tickets.
Don't buy tickets from the scalpers. If nobody buys, the prices will become lower, and finally the tickets come back to Ticketmaster or Ticketsnow. Also remember that Leonard will be back with more concerts in New York (and in many other cities in US/Western Canada) later in the Spring.
douglass

Postby douglass » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:05 am

I can't be there as now using our money to move to Australia, but all I want to say is - this man is so perfect, decent , a genius and I hope all who go to New York have a fantastic time. I will be thinking of you and remembering Amsterdam and Birmingham. Promise to have a glass for me and have a wonderful time

Lisa
Charleslyonhart

Postby Charleslyonhart » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 am

I am looking to purchase 2 tickets to the Leonard Cohen Beacon Show on February 19th. I have not seen Cohen in years and I missed the presale. If anything is available please let me know. I am a songwriter myself and I almost died 3 years ago. I had a liver transplant on Christmas Day 2005. Leonard's music has gotten me through many of the rough times in my life.
My email is clyonhart@hotmail.com Thanks so much. I believe in G-d and magic and that everything happens for a reason.
Thanks.
CL
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:45 am

Hi Charleslyonhart,

There is a thread to "buy and sell NY tickets", just above this entry. You might want to check there. The members selling their tickets are very honest. However, if you have the patience there is a possibility that Ticketmaster will return some regular priced seats to their site several days prior to the concert. Failing that, remember that Leonard WILL be touring the US and Western Canada perhaps in late spring and many many more tickets will be available, perhaps even closer to where you may be located. I sympathize with you re your health problems. I have a dear friend, like a sister, who has fought liver cancer for over 5 years. Her options are limited now and a transplant seems remote. I hope you will be able to see Leonard in the next few months. His music and poetry has touched so many of us who may be suffering or struggling. Of course, the magic of it is that it even touches those of us who are blessed with no suffering or struggles! His music reaches deep within our souls.

All the best, Diana
ladydi

Postby ladydi » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 am

douglass wrote:I can't be there as now using our money to move to Australia, but all I want to say is - this man is so perfect, decent , a genius and I hope all who go to New York have a fantastic time. I will be thinking of you and remembering Amsterdam and Birmingham. Promise to have a glass for me and have a wonderful time

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I, for one, will definitely have a glass for you. What a shame the timing is off and you won't be able to catch any of Leonard's concerts in Australia. Not sure where you live but whether it is in the US, Canada or Europe it is still a formidable move to make. Wish you all the best and keep warm with the memories of Amsterdam and Birmingham!

Diana
LadyShadoe

Postby LadyShadoe » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 pm

It's wonderful to see so many people find this event with Cohen coming to the US as special and dee-lightful as I do. I've waited my whole life for this it seems...(just about)

I saw that he was on the announcement for the Coachella Festival too.

Hopefully he will come by Chicago on his tour! *crosses fingers*
Actually

Postby Actually » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:19 pm

In the third line... Isn't it a shame? :shock:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:26 pm

And who is Franz Ferdinand :o ?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Postby hydriot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:30 am

lizzytysh wrote:And who is Franz Ferdinand :o ?
An excellent Scottish rock band... See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Ferdinand_(band)
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
friscogrl

Postby friscogrl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:01 am

I know it does seem strange especially for European fans not to see leonard as top billing. But as most people know he is not as big over here and probably for many reasons. I know people who knew of him years ago and liked him but had no idea of how big he is right now and obviously don't know about the tour. Then there are those who do know of him and say "oh, he's so depressing" And then of course there's "who's he?" But on the other hand I do know of some younger people who know him and really like his music. And the fact that he is performing at this event will expose many other music fans to him and his music and then not as many people will say "who's he?".

Frisco
Last edited by friscogrl on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”