Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
ladydi

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by ladydi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:50 am

Tinkie.......OH NO :(

Try again on Friday or keep checking the new thread where people have tickets to sell. I hope you will be able to find one. Post on that thread too to let others know you need a ticket. Good luck.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:51 am

It is also good to know that Leonard will be back in New York with more concerts.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Habie

Post by Habie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:17 am

PS to my previous post :

Margaret, I've just looked at that website you posted : WOW! What a fantastic resource!!! It may be mentioned elsewhere on this mighty website, and many of you may already know it as Margaret did, but just in case, I urge everyone to go take a look at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pilgraeme/; it's fabulous! Dozens of wonderful song explanations from Leonard over the years in interviews and concerts. Exactly what I dreamed of.

For I Tried to Leave You, Leonard mentions Graeme Allwright translating his songs into French... that makes me so happy. When I lived in France as a teenager, Graeme Allwright was my favourite singer... his concerts were beautiful. (On YouTube there's a heartbreaking version from last year of his French Suzanne, sung with Maurane; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iBebepCq4jc. His style is not to everyone's taste and his voice is not what it once was, but his rendition is simple and sincere, and for old time's sake, I love it to bits... anwyway, was so glad to see Leonard mentioning him).

And Leonard's comments on Chelsea Hotel/Hallelujah/Manhattan are extraordinary... I'm off now, to read the rest.

(I do have a life. I just like to postpone living it sometimes so I can glory in poetry. So sue me).

Hooray for this forum! Hooray for Margaret!
Thank you again. x
jjm

Post by jjm » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:52 am

What are the chances of adding additional dates (fri, sat, sun)at the beacon? In a city and region of approx. 12 million souls that loves and lives leonard cohen's body of work he would sell out any venue. I guess Leonard will have to include
Chelsea Hotel if he's singing in New York City and certainly Democracy. I missed out on the presales but will try again on friday morning.
Best wishes to all,
jjm :)
NYCohenFan

Post by NYCohenFan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:32 am

I was also wondering if there might be an addition NYC show or two in Feb.. Any possibilities
NYCohenFan

Post by NYCohenFan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:35 am

jdhayes wrote:Just checked with Ebay and of course the touts are going to make another killing while real fans could not get tickets in spite of passwords et. Why not have tickets limited to members of the LC Forum? The attempt to limit the scalpers seems to have failed.

Sadly this is where I will be shopping (even sadder those are the best prices) unless someone has some extras here or I score on Friday. However I would like to get tickets with the reception so I am assuming those are all gone, can anyone confirm or deny if there will be additional tickets with the reception sold on Friday?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:32 am

The very limited number of VIP reception tickets was sold out fast, so the Friday tickets will be regular tickets.
Leonard will be back in New York with more concerts. Don't pay to scalpers but wait for the next concert if you
don't get tickets on Friday!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 am

There's now a whole page of Beacon Theatre tickets on the US ebay site, with (as previously mentioned) VIP tickets being offered at $2000. Agree that true fans should not pay to scalpers, Jarkko (even though Ticketmaster aren't much better!).

Cheers, John E
Deena

Post by Deena » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:13 pm

I'd like to join Habie in thanking you for this link, Margaret. What a wonderful site! Almost makes up for not being able to go to NY and the Beacon.
Deena
Habie wrote:PS to my previous post :

Margaret, I've just looked at that website you posted : WOW! What a fantastic resource!!! It may be mentioned elsewhere on this mighty website, and many of you may already know it as Margaret did, but just in case, I urge everyone to go take a look at http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pilgraeme/; it's fabulous! Dozens of wonderful song explanations from Leonard over the years in interviews and concerts. Exactly what I dreamed of.

For I Tried to Leave You, Leonard mentions Graeme Allwright translating his songs into French... that makes me so happy. When I lived in France as a teenager, Graeme Allwright was my favourite singer... his concerts were beautiful. (On YouTube there's a heartbreaking version from last year of his French Suzanne, sung with Maurane; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iBebepCq4jc. His style is not to everyone's taste and his voice is not what it once was, but his rendition is simple and sincere, and for old time's sake, I love it to bits... anwyway, was so glad to see Leonard mentioning him).

And Leonard's comments on Chelsea Hotel/Hallelujah/Manhattan are extraordinary... I'm off now, to read the rest.

(I do have a life. I just like to postpone living it sometimes so I can glory in poetry. So sue me).

Hooray for this forum! Hooray for Margaret!
Thank you again. x
NYCohenFan

Post by NYCohenFan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:32 pm

jarkko wrote:The very limited number of VIP reception tickets was sold out fast, so the Friday tickets will be regular tickets.
Leonard will be back in New York with more concerts. Don't pay to scalpers but wait for the next concert if you
don't get tickets on Friday!

Understood but looking at his schedule it will be a while so I have to consider the possibilities I although he isn't expected at the reception I would think he could make an appearance. The man isn't getting any younger and all. I am thinking about 2 listings on ebay for Orchestra Seats that include the reception. I will see what happens Friday. I was really hoping more reception tickets would be sold or more dates
Habie

Post by Habie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:45 am

I can't understand the few comments on here from people who seem to feel Leonard should be doing MORE for the fans at this concert and in general... he should come to the VIP reception, sign books and CDs to make our trips worthwhile, choose a bigger venue so no-one ever misses out even for a one-off extra concert, etc etc....

This seems incredible to me - as if Leonard hasn't already given so much more on this tour than most musicians ever do. He is 74, performs 3-hour concerts, has 9 fantastic band members and top-quality sound system ... we are getting a DVD and CD... we have this website with its amazing ringmaster providing endless goodies, both online with the constant updates about EVERYTHING relating to Leonard, and at all the special live events (just the ones I know about include Leonard choosing to come and meet some fans at a club in London in 07, almost the entire band having dinner with fans in Berlin last September... a few years ago meeting Leonard's daughter and her friend the singer Martha Wainwright on the magical island of Hydra...)

Other singers, often half Leonard's age, give their fans nothing other than recordings and the odd concert, performed in brattish diva mode with an ear-splitting tinny sound system. They may get a boring semi-literate fan-site with a few morsels of gossip.

Recently in London even the comedian/singer Sara Silverman showed what most 'stars' are like: I went to see her because I liked what I'd seen of her humour online, she seemed a genuine original. This was her first London show, totally sold out. She stood alone on stage for a total of 40 minutes, performed only old material we'd already heard, and charged £50 for this privilege. There was a kind of riot in the audience when she finished, but she only came back for 5 minutes, seemingly surprised at our lack of gratitude for the honour of her mere presence.

Then there's the great Dylan... don't get me started... all of us who love both Cohen and Dylan know what Dylan concerts are like - whatever we think of his motives and the acceptability or not of his attitude towards fans, it's a simple fact.

Leonard seems - with his attitude, behaviour, comments in interviews etc - to genuinely love his audiences and want to give us everything he possibly can. (Yes it's expensive, but not for what it is).

Personally, I hope when I'm 74 to have half the energy and generosity he has, let alone the wisdom, sex appeal and grace.

Couldn't we be a bit more grateful, and a bit less demanding?
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:30 am

Habie...

You know, this is so disappointing to me also. And it seems to reinforce just why Leonard is so revered and popular in Canada and Europe (oops, guess I should also include NZ and Australia). At first it seemed to me that a couple of European fans were suffering from sour grapes....just another concert..milking...not televised...etc etc... But now some in the US are complaining! Come on guys! What is the problem? Why should Leonard be at the reception when he is supposed to be on stage in another hour? Why are YOU so special that you need a book or cd signed.....hmmm, perhaps because you can then attempt to sell it on eBay.

Leonard is incredibly generous....with his artistic talent and his time. If someone happens upon him outside a hotel or out for a walk (check out Bournemouth), he is a gracious gentleman and will chat with you.

My friend in NJ called tonight and read bits of a NY Times article to me about the Feb 19th concert. They called Leonard "dour" and said he has a "creaking voice". What the heck? Perhaps the concert at the Beacon will make them reconsider. If it does not, then screw America. Head back over the border to Canada and back to Europe. We will all find a way to wherever you may be, but the US doesn't deserve your talent.
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:46 am

Oops...got carried away with the previous post. I also wanted pass on my utmost thanks to Margaret for the Leonard link. It is absolutely awesome! Fortunately it was slow at work today because I must have spent over 3 hours on the site! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Margaret! What a wealth of information.

The interview (forget who it was with) was so insightful. What wonderful Leonardism's! I will have to either print it out or go back and write them down.

Much appreciated,

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:06 am

The great interview is under "I'm Your Man" and it is from "Songtalk" in 1993. Excellent. Also, no wonder we women love Leonard. Re the same song, he made several statements in '93 that "everything he does is for a woman's caress".

Oh yeah....... ;-)
John K.

Post by John K. » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:21 am

Habie wrote:I can't understand the few comments on here from people who seem to feel Leonard should be doing MORE for the fans at this concert and in general... he should come to the VIP reception, sign books and CDs to make our trips worthwhile, choose a bigger venue so no-one ever misses out even for a one-off extra concert, etc etc....

This seems incredible to me - as if Leonard hasn't already given so much more on this tour than most musicians ever do. He is 74, performs 3-hour concerts, has 9 fantastic band members and top-quality sound system ... we are getting a DVD and CD... we have this website with its amazing ringmaster providing endless goodies, both online with the constant updates about EVERYTHING relating to Leonard, and at all the special live events (just the ones I know about include Leonard choosing to come and meet some fans at a club in London in 07, almost the entire band having dinner with fans in Berlin last September... a few years ago meeting Leonard's daughter and her friend the singer Martha Wainwright on the magical island of Hydra...)

Other singers, often half Leonard's age, give their fans nothing other than recordings and the odd concert, performed in brattish diva mode with an ear-splitting tinny sound system. They may get a boring semi-literate fan-site with a few morsels of gossip.

Recently in London even the comedian/singer Sara Silverman showed what most 'stars' are like: I went to see her because I liked what I'd seen of her humour online, she seemed a genuine original. This was her first London show, totally sold out. She stood alone on stage for a total of 40 minutes, performed only old material we'd already heard, and charged £50 for this privilege. There was a kind of riot in the audience when she finished, but she only came back for 5 minutes, seemingly surprised at our lack of gratitude for the honour of her mere presence.

Then there's the great Dylan... don't get me started... all of us who love both Cohen and Dylan know what Dylan concerts are like - whatever we think of his motives and the acceptability or not of his attitude towards fans, it's a simple fact.

Leonard seems - with his attitude, behaviour, comments in interviews etc - to genuinely love his audiences and want to give us everything he possibly can. (Yes it's expensive, but not for what it is).

Personally, I hope when I'm 74 to have half the energy and generosity he has, let alone the wisdom, sex appeal and grace.

Couldn't we be a bit more grateful, and a bit less demanding?
I couldn't agree more with this post. Thank you.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”