Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Kiwi56

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by Kiwi56 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:13 pm

I`m sooooooo sad :cry: , that for me it`s not possible to come to NY, but I feel very happy for those members who
can go to this surely great and wonderful concert :razz: !!!
Good luck for all who want to get tickets !!!
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Jarkko,
Will the NY concert be televised?
I hope so, for it will be the only means by which the vast majority of Leonard's fans can share in what promises to be a fab night out......you lucky New Yorkers!

Andrew.

***Unfortnuately it will not be televised. / Jarkko***
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Wonderful news and pure serendipity. My mother-in-law's 100th birthday is February 21, and my wife and I were planning to drive to northern Ontario around that time for the celebration. We'll just make a little detour to NYC for the concert!!

Thank you Jarkko and thank you Leonard. Looking forward to another wonderful evening with LC, and looking forward to seeing some fellow Cohenites at the meet-up.

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Now i just have to wait till 8pm this evening to see if my 6 numbers get drawn in our Monday Million draw.................... stranger things have happened :D
phillip

Post by phillip » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Sadly I won't be able to go but at least I have seen him twice in 2008 which I am very grateful for and hope this concert in New yourk ends up on you tube so those who cannot go can see it:)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:54 pm

One of my favourite memories from the Fall Tour was the moment, in Birmingham, when Leonard replied to the crowd's 'We Love You!' shouts by saying, with a huge smile, 'I'm very fond of you too - as time passes, I get fonder and fonder...'

This concert feels very much like a gift, from Leonard to his fans. Not many artists give that impression.

I hope Leonard has a clear sense of how much pleasure he's already brought us last year.

It's definitely America's turn now - Leonard is a Prophet in All Lands, not just in Canada. I was thinking about the article I read that he's always been more popular in Europe than in the US (as opposed to Canada I imagine), which is the case for many artists from English-speaking countries despite the language barrier etc.
The British film director Ken Loach can hardly get his films shown in the UK, but they always play long runs in France etc. Same with Woody Allen).

Coming back to Feb 19th - can't wait to hear about the atmosphere there will be at this concert.

Re Lorca's Tour Photos - I'd love to see them so much! I love her work, and love backstage photos most of all - Jarkko, I'm sure that if they receive any other kind of public showing or online availability, you will let us know.

I have a strong image in my mind at this moment, of Leonard, on tour, smiling.
Last edited by Habie on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anneporter

Post by anneporter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Habie,

Just in case you missed it, or forgot: Leonard Cohen is, in fact, Canadian, and,in fact, started his tour in Eastern Canada, not Europe.

Anne
maxwild

Post by maxwild » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 pm

What a terrible shame it would be if those that have already had the privilege of seeing LC recently, were to take tickets from those of us in NY who have been waiting patiently ...seeing LC should be a once in a lifetime event, not "how many concerts can I see" and "ooh, wouldn't it be nice to go to NY as well as Manchester" ......
New York 2009
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

Maxwild
I do not know if I agree with your sentiments on the number of times anyone should see Leonard . However fortunately for some lucky New Yorker my bank manager agrees with you so I shall not be competing for a ticket . Enjoy !! i HAVE MY MEMORIES
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
maxwild

Post by maxwild » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Well if he were a younger man who'd likely play many concerts for years to come, maybe, but as this is likely his last tour, surely all true fans should have a chance to see him once, but 5 or 6 times in one tour, that's just selfish if it comes at the expense of anyone missing out
New York 2009
Aloevera

Post by Aloevera » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Tinderalla,

Thank you for the reminder - just rushing out to buy a quick pick and if I win I will buy a ticket for you and JD Hayes.

A heartfelt thank you to Leonard, Jarkko and all the team for offering such a special occasion to us even if we can't get there. Hopefully there will be Hydro to compensate (somewhat!!).

Let us all shine in 09.

Aloevera
2008 - RHK Dublin x 2, Lucca, Birmingham
2009 - Dublin x 2, Barcelona, Nashville
2010 - Marseille, Las Vegas X 2
beargains

Later - in April 2009 - his World Tour will continue...

Post by beargains » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Jarkko,
a personal question that may be of somebody else's interest too...
I'm looking forward to attend a LC show on the (US) West Coast, but I've also a trip to be scheduled right in April.
I'm waiting for some exact date to appear before booking, but April is approaching fast, and still we haven't received any final "official" detail other than the one that I've copied on the Subject line...
Do you have any idea about when the confirmed dates of the U.S. Tour will be released?
Thanks for your time and for all your efforts about LC. and this forum.
Andrew

***We don't yet when the 4th leg of the tour will be announced, and it will not happen in the near future. / Jarkko***
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 pm

Ah.. Aloevera... that is such a kind gesture , that if my numbers come up then I will buy you a ticket :D
Here's hoping!
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Hello Anne

I'm so sorry to have caused you offence! Nothing in my post suggested that Leonard Cohen is not Canadian, and I'm sorry for the slip up about 'starting his tour in Europe'. We know the tour started in Canada (I've read and enjoyed every concert report on this Forum) - mea culpa! I meant to write, 'he played Europe before North America' - I will correct my post.

All I meant was that Leonard has not yet played anywhere in the United States / Pacific, and judging from this Forum a lot of people in the States have been waiting a very long time. When I said 'it's America's turn' (despite the prevailing view here of us greedy Europeans always wanting more), it's because I don't assume Canada, where he has played, and the US, where he has not, are the same place.

I should also have written more clearly about his greater popularity in Europe than in the US - I was not thinking of Canada when I made that point.

A propos of who goes to what concert (as per other recent posts above) - I don't know the NY theatre in question, but I do hope there will be enough room for everyone who wants to go ; New Yorkers... Texans... Canadians...the few Europeans, South Americans, Africans, Australians or Asians who feel able to travel to NYC for a concert, whether or not they've seen one already (Indeed Australians are unlikely to make the journey, for obvious reasons. But you never know). Surely this Tour would not have been such a success if everyone had restricted themselves to a single concert...

Sorry if I caused offence, Anne, that was definitely not my intention. I've so been enjoying this Forum and the community spirit it generates, I'd hate to end up offending anyone.

Leonard means more to me than any other artist in my life, so I'm not likely to forget that he was born in Montreal, was proud to start his tour in his home country - and strongly protested when journalists tried to call that leg of the tour a 'warm up'.

I will now correct my original post.

Best wishes,
Habie x
Last edited by Habie on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:23 pm

hydriot wrote:Living in the UK, I don't think I can justify the expense (it's in half-term too)

Incidentally, a few minutes ago we crashed the Forum. Too many people trying to access it at the same time! See my separate thread in 'News'.
Hopefully this doesn't happen when forum members will be trying to get tickets for this wonderful (thank you LC, Jarkko and all involved!) event.

Kindest regards,
Mary

PS - Hydriot, so sorry you can't make this :cry:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”