A Very Special Announcement Coming

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
marianne.s

Re: A Very Special Announcement Coming

Post by marianne.s »

A new European Tour...
Helensj

Post by Helensj »

My husband tells me that Genesis did something along the lines of a webcast question and answer session with a live audience to launch their 'When in Rome' DVD so I was wondering if it was something of that sort, as it would fit Jarkko's suggestion that only a small number of members would be able to take part due to geographical obstacles.
A competition would also fit some of the criteria but there would be organisational difficulties as it would not be known in advance where the winner(s) would live unless it was confined to one area only.
What is really annoying is that I won't be anywhere near an Internet connection when the announcement is made on Monday!
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Well, since my idea of Leonard in the chatroom has been shot down in flames, I would now guess that it is a lottery, the prizes being invitations to join Leonard for lunch some time in the future ... but where? Montreal, Los Angeles, Hydra?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Rodin....well excuse me, but you have a hotel room booked? Where? Montreal...New York? And just where did you get this inside information?? Is this truly "lips are zipped type stuff" or just a hunch? I think either Montreal in June or a very special concert in New York for all the Cohenites....no regular people...just us. Or maybe an internet thing for fans only. Guess we will find out Monday morning :D .
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

lunch,with the band and evereyone else, followed by a seat in the front rows of the first australian concert, and than a night out with mr cohen ...
indeed, for someone living in belgium, it would be a bit difficult, geographically speaking, to get to australia, but i guess i would try to give the correct answer to any question that he would ask, you never know,

pe
... precisely ...
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

i've been watching the comments daily and think the most likely scenario is a special taping to which some forum members will have the opportunity to attend. in nyc. sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Habie

Post by Habie »

I've read this entire thread in one go, it's now 2.45am in London, so my mind is a bit like pea soup, but it seems to me the only possibility is a new European tour after the US/Pacific.
I don't want a prize, I just want to be right...
iris

Post by iris »

oh please let it be some more european concerts, a dream come true
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

lkaufman wrote:i've been watching the comments daily and think the most likely scenario is a special taping to which some forum members will have the opportunity to attend. in nyc. sorry if this has already been mentioned.
Oooooh - I like this :D. Although Jarkko said someone already guessed it and I don't think this has been mentioned :(

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Steven

Post by Steven »

If I had to guess, I'd opt for this: Leonard to appear on a TV program
that will have advance, first-come-first-served tickets to be in the audience,
in-line with Lkaufman's guess.
douglas07

Post by douglas07 »

I MUST HAVE BEEN BLIND !!
the limited number of persons is .. me!
Charley webb finally remembered that smart looking guy in the first row..and now..
Rodin, leave your suitcases at home !
Jarkko, thx for your help!
I´m off.
1970s "Beautiful Loosers"; 1980s "Poems of ..."
UH Tour: Oslo-Copenhagen-Cologne; Odense; OI-Tour:Ghent-Odense
Tinkie

Post by Tinkie »

Hello everybody,

It is the first time I post a message on this forum although I am reading the files nearly everyday since a few months.

In fact, I consider it to be my duty now to inform you all, that the very special announcement coming is just LC's confirmation that he accepts the dinner invitation I sent him a few weeks ago. I am sorry to disappoint you all but that's life....

But I promise I will keep you posted .............on the menu ;-) :lol:

2008 : Lisboa, Vienna, Brussels 2x, Manchester - 2009 : Cologne, Antwerp, Lisboa, Barcelona
2010 : Gent 3x, Lille, Las Vegas 2x -2012 : Gent 5x, Verona, Paris, Lisboa -2013 : Paris, Antwerp, Brussels, Berlin, Dublin, Amsterdam
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Ahh Leonard is going to perform some of his new songs at last to a small appreciative audience ( us)... at Joe's Bar, Lafayette NYC
Pete

5 golden tickets!!

Post by Pete »

FIVE GOLDEN TICKETS

'The forthcoming DVD of Leonard Cohen's O2 concert will contain a special surprise for 5 lucky fans. Out of the thousands and thousands (and more thousands) of DVDs in stock there will be 5 of them that will have secreted within a golden ticket. The five lucky finders of these tickets must run home as fast as they can and tell their mummies and daddies and any sleeping grandparents that they have been chosen. If, on the way home, any one of them bumps into a shifty, sluggy looking character down an alleyway offering you promises and devious dealings then do not be persuaded (unless it's me who didn't find a ticket)
With this ticket you will be instructed, on the fifth day of the fifth month at 5:55am to travel to Caldey Island (off the Welsh Coast) where you will spend the next 5 years, 5 months , 5 weeks. 5 days in retreat as a practising monk (for the ladies amongst the winners that could be interesting)

http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/monks.htm
http://www.caldey-island.co.uk/
Caldey Island is owned and run by the Reformed Order of Cistercian monks, who live a simple life farming the island alongside a small village community.
They produce a number of famous homegrown items including chocolate, ice cream, clotted cream, shortbread and yoghurt, plus perfumes and hand lotions derived from wild flowers that grow on the island.

During this time you will spend 5x5 hours a day chanting the poems, novels and lyrics of Leonard Cohen. It is envisaged that only true fans will be able to sustain this 'once in a lifetime opportunity' and there is a strong possibility that, out of the five golden ticket winners, there may be some who are not what we would call 'Cohenites of the Highest Order'.
It may be that some of the weaker ones of the 5 winners succumb to other temptations or disillusional enticements.
It may be that one 'winner' gets too greedy and tries to gorge on more than 5x5 hours a day of chanting. Caldey Island is surrounded by water, believe it or not, and I would imagine that the effect of too much chanting could tip someone over the edge (or the cliff!!)
It may be that one 'winner' tries to chant unpublished Cohen works that are not yet fit for public consumption. This would be most unfortunate and would need immediate treatment where they make the yoghurts.
It may be that one 'winner' tries to cheat and project a self hologram to do the chanting and, instead, spends hours and hours lazing on the beaches, smelling the flowers for the perfumes or swimming with the seals. This would be most unfortunate if this were to happen and I'm sure that the culprit would be belittled and sent packing.
It may be that one 'winner' wants sole copyright of all the chanting. This would be most unfortunate and I would imagine that that person would get lynched.

Out of all of this there should be one person who, although getting high on all the chanting, would be a true 'Cohenite of the Highest Order' and be deemed as the eventual winner.... the prize being ...............

a boat ticket to get off the island OR title of 'Cohenercian Monk (or Monkess) of the First Order'. Choice to be stated within 5 minutes of finding a golden ticket.

Sorry to spoil everyone's anticipation for tomorrows announcment but I'm sure you'll agree that this fits the criteria as not laid down by Jarkko..except for the DVD bit :) Good luck everyone...buy as many DVDs as you can to increase your chances.

Pete
(having read the Sunday papers and deciding to post this instead of doing the jobs around the house as listed on the 'jobs around the house to do, especially on a Sunday' list.
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I just read the headlines in the Ottawa Citizen, "Obama to visit Canada first". Now it's obvious what the announcement will be. Obama is coming to Canada shortly after his inauguration and our Prime Minister Stephen Harper would like Leonard to sing Democracy at a special concert . (I don't really see Harper as a Cohen fan but anything is possible!) Leonard will be on his Pacific tour and Leonard, being Leonard, has said "no way, my fans come first". Therefore, he has tasked Jarkko with finding a look alike who knows the words of Democracy forwards, backwards and in any other permutation. But more importantly this person must know all the tiniest details about Leonard so that when he is introduced to Obama and asked random questions such as, "what 's the name of your daughter's dog?" (remember, Obama has promised to get his girls a puppy) he will be able to answer with ease. Only a member of the Forum would be able to pull it off!

(Jarkko - this thread has been very entertaining. In a way it's a shame it will end tomorrow!)
Last edited by Mollydog on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”