A Very Special Announcement Coming

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
bigdee

Re: A Very Special Announcement Coming

Post by bigdee »

I'd venture to guess the concert would be in the USA somewhere just before to kick-off of the US/Can leg of the tour. Since Jarkko said it would be for fans as well as some media people, I assume it's going to tie in with the US tour to give the critics here a chance to see the show so they can write positive reviews prior to the tour to help generate interest and boost ticket sales. Let's face it, although we all know Leonard is great, here in the USA he is still not as well know as he is elsewhere in the world and probably could use the help of the media to bring out more people. Until last year's R&R Hall of Fame induction, practically no one I know really knew who Leonard Cohen was. Before I introduced his works to my friends they, at best, thought "he was the guy who wrote that Hallelujah song for Jeff Buckley". They had no clue he was a singer and actually wrote the song for himself years before Jeff covered it and brought world wide attention to it. I also would guess the concert will probably be in either LA or NYC given both are the two main media hubs here in the US. No matter where it is I hope the scalpers don't get their hands on the tickets before the fans do! Come on 10AM!!!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
Heike

Post by Heike »

Following this thread and all your creative ideas has been a lot of fun :D!

So, at this special concert, next to the incomparable, the sublime, the impeccable, etc. Leonard should also introduce the "Master of Suspense" Jarkko ;-) .

Could the "special arrangements" include a Live DVD for all the fans who cannot make it to the States or Canada, one wonders...
Actually

Post by Actually »

Just out of interest I had a look at the prices for flights to the US and all in all it seems to be manageable. Although it would still be simply insane to spend all that money. But hey, I mean, it's Mr. Cohen. Period.
Now all I can do is hope that there won't be any problems with other dates... :shock:
glen blair

Post by glen blair »

It does seem as if the concert will be in either the US or Canada which would put it out of my reach :( . Why couldn't it be somewhere in Europe (North Yorkshire, for instance - 'Passionate Place, Passionate People' as the touristboard ad says !!!) - maybe I'd stand a chance of being there then, which would be unbelievable for me after 40+ years of fanship (yes, I was the first 14 year old to find Mr Cohen, and I've never looked back..!!). Oh, well, some of you out there are going to be soooooo lucky - if it's you, please say a special 'Hi' and 'Thank You' to Mr Cohen for me. Have really enjoyed the entertaining ideas and guesses this has sparked - had a vision at one time of Mr Cohen scratching his head and worrying that the actual news would not live up!

Every heart...
Mordy

Post by Mordy »

Yes, I've notched up 40 years as well (don't really like to admit it!) ... Wouldn't it be just perfect if it was somewhere intimate here in London (NOT the 02!) and tickets were only available through this website - no Ticketmaster or any of the ticket-touting cowboys - and then after the show we could take LC and the band off to the nearest pub to say a special thank you, and have a beer ..... :D

Surely it's got to be Montreal, though ...

And as a newcomer to web forums, it's been a great few days following this thread - thank you!
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

Heike wrote:Following this thread and all your creative ideas has been a lot of fun :D!

So, at this special concert, next to the incomparable, the sublime, the impeccable, etc. Leonard should also introduce the "Master of Suspense" Jarkko ;-) .

Could the "special arrangements" include a Live DVD for all the fans who cannot make it to the States or Canada, one wonders...
Actually, since Jarkko has been so cruel to us (his choice of word, not mine), I think he should be required to obtain his ticket to the event via a "Find, sell or swap tickets here" thread.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
efc

Post by efc »

[quote="anneporter"]efc,
No, I wasn't at the Royal Albert shows--should I have been?

I thought you might have been, because at the RAH shows, indeed every show, a proportion of the crowd have cheered the "Democracy is coming to the USA" line as though Leonard had, as if by magic, written the song in the early 90s with an eye on the 2008 election.

What's more in the shows immediately following the election certain mambers of the band visibly celebrated the result, which would have been fine at, say, a Demcratic gathering, but not so OK at a musical event where not everyone is part of the groupthink
efc

Post by efc »

Manna wrote:He was elected, was he?
Right, right...
If you're replying to my post re George Bush, I'm delighted to advise that Bush was indeed elected, twice
vixen_5

Post by vixen_5 »

Guess the special annoncement isnt going to be Leonard now wants to autograph my tattoo ;-)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

So to set this thread back on course - "I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons..." (which, of course, are not weapons of death and destruction).
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Thankyou John for attempting to bring peace back to this thread in it's final moments. Have you ever thought of becoming a special envoy to the Leonard Cohen files .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Habie

Post by Habie »

OK, so it's not a new tour it's a concert, and it's clearly not in Europe.

Was worth a dream.

Now I'm just wondering : is it possible, just maybe, that Jarkko saying he will make the announcement on 'New York time' is, rather than a clue, in fact a Machiavellian red herring, to throw us off the scent and make us assume the concert must be in New York / Canada, or at the very least on the New Jersey Turnpike ..? Whereas in reality it's going to be held in, hmm, let's see... Venice! Got it! (Jarkko did say he was cruel).

OK OK... denial aside, back in the real world, it's pretty obvious we're talking America.

But let's at least hope Leonard got to peruse this thread - I'm sure he enjoys a wry smile of an evening.

So many brilliant ideas - loved the notion of a Doppleganger to sing Democracy (and Hallelujah too - just as perfect a match for Obama's coronation...). Come on Jarkko, you'd be perfect!

Yours in anticipation of the special concert being held in Venice...(I was just there - so beautiful it hurts). x
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

FIFTEEN Pages of messages in 4 days about something none of us (except, perhaps, Jarkko) knows anything about.
Hysteria perhaps? :roll:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Oh well, at 3pm GMT on Monday, those of us online can start spreading the news.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

For Red Poppy...

But a fun hysteria! Perhaps after the tensions of the holidays, and the tensions of the world, it was a little something to take us outside of ourselves and be playful. The last few days on the forum have been a delight and almost everyone has participated in the lightened mood. We all knew it involved Leonard and "something special", and we all knew that we would eventually find out. But the fun was in the guessing and the bizarre scenarios. The thread sort of took on a life of its own!

I, for one, enjoyed every moment and look forward to 10am tomorrow!

Namaste...Diana

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”