Leonard coming to Australia !! (SEE PAGE 5)

New Zealand and Australia (January 20 - February 10, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mikeaus

Re: Leonard coming to Australia !!

Post by Mikeaus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 am

Dear Leonard

To me it is very simple. Finish the tour in Dublin at the beginning of December. Christmas with your family and then off to Australia. Start with the Sydney Festival (10th to 31st January) and finish the tour at the Adelaide Festival (26th Feb to 14th March). Between those dates you could fit in Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra (where I am), Perth, Darwin & Hobart.

Apologies for taking control like this, but we will never get to see you if somebody dosen't do it. Europe is too cold at that time of the year. Australia will be warm and very inviting.
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
margiegras

Post by margiegras » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:17 am

Very good point!! The Sydney Festival would be the BEST EVER.. : :D What a great idea - & lots of leonards fans could come to Australia for summer holiday!
NickShears

Post by NickShears » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:09 am

Make it an earlier start with the Woodford Festival (in Queensland) , 27 Dec to 1 Jan. Not just because I'll be there but because it's the finest festival I've ever been to and would be a perfect match.

Nick
Nick,
London 1979, London 1983, London 1988, Brisbane 2009
scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:23 pm

i suggest LC would prove a big draw in Oz.
chrish

Post by chrish » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm a new member - Great Forum guys!

Sadly although currently in Europe I was not able to catch Mr Cohen on his UK tour (although I did catch Mr Dylan in Grenoble). Our schedules did not cross.
Is there any further positive news of a visit to Australia at the end of the year?

Cheers

Chris
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:52 am

For those of us who live in Australia we at least get Leonard's Book of Longing at the Sydney Opera House on the 11th and 12th October. We want more!
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
wimwen

What's wrong with the Southern Hemisphere Leonard?

Post by wimwen » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:33 pm

We're feeling unloved in Australia. I know it's a long flight but they have beds in 1st class; you can go to sleep in Toronto and wake up in Sydney. We'll book you into the Chelsea Hotel, a bit of zen time on the harbour, a performance or ten at the Opera House, a hallelujah serenade back to the airport, back into your 1st class cot and 'Bob's your uncle' you're home before you know it. Come on mate, you haven't done a world tour until you've touched down in Australia.
DD
humanisticiconoclast

Re: Perth, send you love.

Post by humanisticiconoclast » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

For those of interest i decided as part of his upcoming birthday, that i would organise a benefit gig. I confirmed the Velvet lounge (back room at the Flying Scotsman), for the Sunday. Proceeds could go to an organisation of appropriate value, yet to hear from the official Cohen web site on who. Exact details to be confirmed. But i'm looking for interested musicians, poets and the like. If you have ideas for the night i am humbly looking for some input. Monsieur Camembert are doing a concert a few days before, having seen them doing Cohen at the Fairbridge Festival, for those that go, you are in for a treat. With such a short lead time, i'm hoping to move advertising and confirmation of interested parties quickly. I have contacts on RTR (recommend people to subscribe), so i hope to use them as a forum. One suggestion that came up, having not confirmed possible concerts for 2009 (having said it would be a 2 yr concert), that we put together a 10,000 signature petition to, ask that if it be his will, that he grace our shores. If anyone knows how to facilitate this please reply, or i'll fumble along in my own way. Michael, feel free to email me personally on mskegg@hotmail.com
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi Michael

All the best for your gig - I hope it all comes together nicely for you, with lots of people showing interest and taking part in it! 8)

I've also emailed you the program for our Toowoomba event - I see now that you are based in Perth, which for the benefit of others here, is a damn long way from me! ;-)

I totally support your comment about Monsieur Camembert - those of us who were lucky enough to see them perform in Canada recently (at the International Cohen Event in Edmonton), were totally blown away by the experience - simply awesome! :D

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Millie

Australian Tour

Post by Millie » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:58 am

Just wondering when Leonard will be venturing to the land down under??? In particular, Sydney Australia? :D
Thanks!
kaczor47

Post by kaczor47 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:20 am

After the initial excitement, and apparent media rumours, things have been very quite on this front lately. Has anyone heard any more on a possible visit to Australia? Or better yet, New Zealand ;-)
I was lucky enough to catch a couple of the Halifax shows, but would be great to see it again on the down here!
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:32 pm

I don't live in Australia, but close enough nowadays. I would love to see him once more, it would be worth the trip.
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
aru

Post by aru » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:41 am

I think the latest word is for us to wait quitely and patiently for any news on a Spring 2010 (or for us in the Southern hemisphere Fall) tour that takes LC to Australia NZ and other places in Asia. I for one have never seen him "live" and am hoping for a couple of concerts at the Sydney Opera House! (I'm going to see "Book of Longing" there in 2 weeks time :D )

****Hm... the rumor has it that it's your fall 2009, not 2010! No decisions yet! / Jarkko****
Eleanor

Post by Eleanor » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:48 am

Hi, I'm a new subscriber to the Leonard Cohen forum - but a longtime fan of the master - and word-perfect in much of his work.

I've read on the forum that you (speaking personally to Leonard Cohen) may visit us here in OZ? :D

This is my wish ... please do come to Australia Mr Cohen, in particular, Western Australia!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 am

Just relax & wait patiently for your turn, guys down there in the Pacific! (Hm, I feel that I've given this comment before 8)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “The Pacific Tour 2009”