CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff, November 8

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
efc

Re: Cardiff 8 November

Post by efc »

During the US election people have used “Democracy”, and especially the line “Democracy is coming to the USA”, as a rallying cry for Obama, and this was very evident at Cardiff, by which time of course Obama was President Elect.

It rather begs the question of what category the Bush years come under. Perhaps he had a Dictatorship going on, although not a very successful one apparently, after all he lost power far too easily.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

jarkko wrote:All concerts are now being filmed for the archives.
Which archives are that?
kwills

Post by kwills »

Had a wonderful night in Cardiff,I'm sure Leonard was dancing around even more than he did in the Manchester gigs in July!Was surrounded on all sides by the Irish,some who had to stay quite a way out of the city due to the rugby match.I was sorry for the lady next to me as she was really looking forward to Closing Time,but he did not sing it.I hope they all had a good time anyway.
I was pleased with the venue and the crowd were fantastic a really good atmosphere,you could feel the love for the man all around.The Webb Sisters did their cartwheeling antics,which I was pleased about as I hadn't seen them do that before,and of course we got to hear FBR!
My son's girlfriend came with us and was completely bowled over by Leonard and the band.Fantastic night only wished Wales would have beaten the Springboks!

kwills
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

The concert in Cardiff was indeed brilliant but where were the Welsh singers in the audience? Very few joined in the singing and hardly any standing ovations. I missed these aspects. Did anyone else?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
kwills

Post by kwills »

jdhayes wrote:The concert in Cardiff was indeed brilliant but where were the Welsh singers in the audience? Very few joined in the singing and hardly any standing ovations. I missed these aspects. Did anyone else?
Apparently,where my son and his girlfriend sat,some people were singing,but so out of tune they were annoying them!People did give standing ovations just not all the time.
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

My heartfelt gratitude to you Leonard for another wonderful concert. You gave us not only music, song and poetry, but so much of yourself as well - a gift for which I humbly thank you. Words are completely inadequate to describe how I feel - my soul is still resonating with the power of love.

Lovely to meet all the other Irish people there - I was surrounded by them!
altinkum

Post by altinkum »

All good things come to those that wait. I had thought earlier in the year that I wasn't going to get to see him but miracles do happen. A wonderful show my hands are still sore from clapping. Only down side for us was our seats weren't too good although I got a wonderful view of him skipping, arms windmilling as he left the stage for the encores. My other half had lost a lot of interest in him over the years but after Saturdays show he is well and truely back in the fold. Hallelujah!

Wendy
margaret

Post by margaret »

Another superb concert and a very enthusiastic audience. From our seats in a special disability suite we could see quite a few standing ovations and those with us did plenty of singing, cheering and whistling :D

The way Leonard skipped on and off stage reminded me of Morecombe and Wise :)

Sorry we missed you Wendy!
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

margaret wrote:Another superb concert and a very enthusiastic audience. From our seats in a special disability suite we could see quite a few standing ovations and those with us did plenty of singing, cheering and whistling :D

The way Leonard skipped on and off stage reminded me of Morecombe and Wise :)

Sorry we missed you Wendy!
Hello Margaret,

I hadn't made the connection myself, but now you mention it, the skipping did have a touch of Eric and Ernie about it. Maybe he will take it one step further and sing "Bring Me Sunshine". (we could do with some). Not quite as far fetched as it sounds. He did sing "You are My Sunshine" on the 1976 uk tour including at my first Leonard concert (Bristol 24/05/76).

However, I would prefer a return of A Thousand Kisses Deep and/or A first (?) One of Us Cannot be Wrong.

Has anyone mentioned Leonard's excellent guitar playing on the oldest songs? Really grounding them in the original versions.

Cheers,

J
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

The band clearly enhanced the experience by going for quality rather than following many modern bands, that go for loudness. Every note and nuance was there to be enjoyed. There was no competition of trying to drown out another musician. They each played to their strengths and played within their group presentation.
Obviously we missed some favourite songs because of time restraints and 'A Thousand Kisses Deep' was not in this performance. I heard it at Manchester and it continues to resonate inside my head. So I am thankful for that.
We had a marvellous weekend during which we were treated 'royally' by Rob and Ann (Rob will get the joke in that last remark) The Sunday Pub Lunch was a real treat. I had been allowed out this weekend and my minder thoroughly enjoyed mixing with like minded stalwarts of the Cohen intelligencer, intellijenser, intel....Oh sod it. (The mad bunch in the Plough and Harrow) some of whom set off to walk to the Bristol Channel, after filling themselves with Sticky Toffee, Banofe Pie and Tiramisu. It was blowing a Force 10 Gale and even the penguins had their anoraks on.
Leonard continues to confound those who said he must be careful, given his age (I include myself in that cursory warning) and that woman Lynch has given us far, far, far more than she could ever have dreamt of. More power to your step Leonard. A role model for us all.

J....... it was a delight to watch lc's finger work on the strings, provided by the large screens for us. He certainly still has his 'chop,' and was equal to his companions on stage.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
vonnyprout

Post by vonnyprout »

I saw Leonard first at Manchester which was utterly magical, however, if possible he sang here with even more passion. I have been a fan since I was 16 and his concerts have totally blown me away. I feel so lucky and privileged to have seen him and I will never forget a moment of these concerts. I so understand how everybody else feels as I feel just the same. What a very special, magical man. Thankyou Leonard ;-)
Diane

Post by Diane »

efc wrote:
Henning wrote:Cmon Cardiffians - spread the word - don't make us believe that Leonard called off the show just because of the bad Welsh weather.
Welsh rain is the best
The Irish brought their rain with them, which mingled with the Welsh rain. A lethal combination!

I much preferred the atmosphere of the outdoor gigs, but this was still an excellent concert with Leonard putting his whole self into every line of every song. Highlights for me were FBR; when he mentioned Remembrance Day in the intro to Anthem along with something like 'we are the fortunate ones to be here while other parts of the world are in chaos, let us ring the bells that still can ring'; and when people cheered during Democracy. I also appreciated the line from Take This Waltz, "Take this waltz it's all that there is" for the first time.
Byron wrote: (The mad bunch in the Plough and Harrow) some of whom set off to walk to the Bristol Channel, after filling themselves with Sticky Toffee, Banoffee Pie and Tiramisu. It was blowing a Force 10 Gale and even the penguins had their anoraks on.

Clarification: Pudding indulgence was universal and not correlated with subsequent adventuring into the wild wind. Pictures to follow although I'm open to bribery.

It was a pleasure to spend the weekend with so many friends.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceraider

Post by Iceraider »

It was amazing to see everyone cheering each time he sang the line "democracy is coming to the USA", the song took on a whole new meaning last night. The Partisan was a particular highlight for me as he didn't play it when I saw him in Manchester; Absolutely brilliant version of the song! gypsy wife was amazing as usual and If it be your will is still a big highlight which leaves me wiping away tears each time.

The only bad point for me was the guy who decided to answer his phone during Wither thou Geoest. He didnt even shut up when everyone in his row was telling him to shush.

truly he is a man "still working for your smile"
Patsy

Post by Patsy »

Ah, Iceraider, you must have been sitting very near me as that chap with the phone call was on the end of the row behind me. Absolutely unbelieveable of him to be talking into the phone at that point with no respect for those around him or Mr C. Didn't spoil an absolutely wonderful evening though! It was fantastic to hear the Partisan, and the reception Democracy got was very moving. Prophetic song, that!
I feel very privileged to have seen Leonard Cohen twice this year - to see him once was more than I'd ever hoped for. Thank you to all involved for making this such a wonderful experience.
kwills

Post by kwills »

On the Friday before the concert we decided to go to The Canteen in Clifton St, which is a vegetarian restaurant ,as there was a vegetarian with us, and we had a superb evening.The food was wonderful and the staff very friendly & helpful.After the meal the chef came to talk with us asking if we were here for the rugby,which we were and for the Leonard Cohen concert, and as soon as I said that he promptly got up and put a cd of Cohen's on!
Now that's what I call service and an extra special dessert! ;-)

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”