We are looking for "One-line praises" of the tour

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

We are looking for "One-line praises" of the tour

Post by jarkko »

We are looking for short, pithy, positive comments about Leonard and his tour. These "one-liners" must be taken from newspapers or magazines. They can be headlines of the stories, or quoted from the text itself. Any language will do, but if not English, please let us have both the original text and translation. Let us know the name of the newspaper (and where it is published), the date, and who wrote the line (if the name is shown). The quotation can be about any concert, either the summer or fall tour.

Below is a first selection, to give you some idea what kind of one-liners we are looking for. Most of these have been collected by Marie and several of my friends, and I have chosen these from about 100 quotations.

The tour management may use some of our findings in the future! Marie and I will also put them on our websites at some point.

So, now it is YOUR turn to check you press clippings for more of these!!!

Rzeczpospolita, Poland, October 2, 2008 by Jacek Cieślak

“ Melancholic Canadian said he came to give us a smile, and he took us to heaven.”
“Cohen is the biggest philosopher of the bards”

Chronique du Monde,Canada, May 25, 2008 by Carol Doucet

“Have I convinced you it was indeed the best performance of my life?”

Le Quotidien, Canada, June 1, 2008 by Christiane LaForge

“Unheard of! An intensity that cannot be defined, no words can describe this event.
A unique spectacle. A huge character. Between Leonard Cohen and his audience there is nothing but love”

The Record, Canada, June 4, 2008 by Robert Reid

He delivered a superb concert. He ended by singing, "here's a man still working for your smile." He worked not only for smiles, but for tears of joy.

Record Collector, UK, No. 335:

How many 73 years olds can entertain for three hours with only a 20-minute interval? A sprightly Cohen did four encores, and enthralled and mesmerized throughout

Toronto Star, June 7, 2008 by Ben Rayner

"This was a love-in because the man is the real deal, a songwriter who's contributed so much ageless, gorgeous verse to the English language that he makes one wonder why anyone else even bothers." -

National Post,Canada, June 7, 2008 by Ian McKellar

"This show is one for the ages."

Rolling Stone, June 9, 2008 by Andy Greene

"Cohen poured everything he had into a stunning performance. " -

Independent.ie, Ireland, June 16, 2008 by John Meagher

"What unfolds over two-and-a-half hours is likely to become the stuff of Irish concert lore. Quite simply, it doesn't get much better than this. " -

Independent.co.uk,UK, June 18, 2008 by David Pollock

"That voice is as rich and sexual as it was 40 years ago, and its tonal imperfections are only an enhancement." –

Manchester Evening News, UK, June 18, 2008 by Kevin Bourke

"Surrounded by a team of crack musicians and singers, to whom he often deferred, Cohen magisterially delivered a career-spanning set that seemed to be one highlight after another." -

The Guardian, UK, June 30, 2008 by Laura Barton

"Hallelujah - a real crowd-swelling, arm-waving moment of perfection. As Cohen staggers into the line "love is not a victory march - it's a lonely and a broken hallelujah," half the people in the vicinity start crying. Myself included."

Østlands-Posten, Norway, July 4, 2008

"I have attended a number of festivals and concerts over my career, at both large and small venues, but Tuesday's show with Leonard Cohen in Oslo matched the very best."

Nöje, Sweden, July 4, 2008 by Av Per Hägred

"The most obvious five-star grade I've ever given in my 20 years as a reviewer."

Gaffa, Denmark, July 7, 2008 by Lars Löbner Jeppesen

"Rarely, or let me say never, have there been nine so well balanced and talented accompanying artists coming together in so beautiful a synthesis." -

24heures, Switzerland, July 9, 2008 by Michel Caspary

"His voice deep, made of chalk and silk, has kept all its sweetness, all its fluidity, its full clarity. Cohen is still dancing colors of the shadows and sparks with the same seriousness, the same weight."

Focus Knack, Belgium, July 11, 2008 by Jonas Boel

"Hats off to Leonard Cohen!" -

This Is London, UK, July 18, 2008 by John Aizlewood

" magnificent performance..." -

Typically Spanish, Spain, July 21, 2008 by Enrique Ballester (about the Benicassim festival)

"[Cohen's] performance was possibly the best ever seen at the festival." -

Le Journal du Dimanche, France, July 23, 2008 by Baptiste Piegay

“A concert of unique emotional intensity."-

LaStampa, Italy, July 28, 2008 by Marinella Venegoni

"Hypnotic music... Exquisite arrangements..."

LoSchermo, Italy, July 28, 2008 by Paolo Ceragioli

An incredible experience, exciting and unforgettable.") -

New Statesman, August 4, 2008 by Nichi Hodgson

"An utterly spell-binding performance and the unquestionable highlight of the Big Chill."

Jurnalul National, Rumania, September 22, 2008 by Alex Revenco

A memorable evening with a perfect artist

iDNES.cz,the Czech Republic, September 28, 2008

The Cohen concert was, in the field of popular music, one of the best ever...seen in Prague."

Berliner Morgenpost, Germany, October 5, 2008 by Peter E. Müller

For three hours, he had the audience in his spell."

Turun Sanomat, Finland, October 12, 2008 by Tuomo Karhu

Jewels of the song lyrics for the adoring audience…Utterly magnificent concert, one of those events that will be remembered for years to come."

Etelä-Suomen Sanomat, Finland, October 12, 2008 by Jarmo Hyvvinen

An unorgettable evening with the master

Helsingin Sanomat, Finland, October 12, 2008, by Pertti Avola

The master did not need any superfluous antics. Leonard Cohen is the real master of the arenas.

The Guardian, UK

The golden voice now resembles a boulder rolling down a tunnel: something huge and elemental.

The Telegram, Canada, May 27, 2008 by Justin Brake, titled "He's Your Man"

"Charming Cohen sweeps audience off its feet, time and time again"

Badische Zeitung, Germany, by Bernhard Konrad, July 26:

“Songs for the soul”

MUSIC OMH, July 17, 2008 by Alan Pedder, titled "Leonard Cohen @ The 02, London"

"Cohen is...as persuasive and transcendent as the Orpheus of myth. [Cohen] has the capacity crowd eating right out of his hands."

Q magazine, UK, September 2008 by Peter Kane:

“Laughing Len” comes out of retirement; has the time of his life.

Manchester Evening News, UK, June 19, 2008 by Kevin Bourke:

Masterclass from Cohen the legend

The Independent, June 18, 2008, by David Pollock

A happy return for the master of misery

Evening Standard, UK, July 18, 2008 by John Aizlewood

Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen: He’s 73 years old, he ran on stage, sang magnificently for three hours, then ran off…
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mollydog

Re: We are looking for "One-line praises" of the tour

Post by Mollydog »

Hi Jarkko,

Should we post the comments here or send you them via e-mail?

Mary

***Please post here - this way other members may see what has already been found! / Jarkko ***
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

"Apart from Bird On The Wire, the shows have been perfect" The Mickey One Record
Heike

Post by Heike »

Hi Jarkko, hi everyone,

Here are some quotes from the German press:

"Die unkaschierte, schiere Erotik der frühen Jahre ist einer Vergeistigung gewichen, sinnlich und voller Würde."
The straightforward, pure eroticism of his early years gave way to a sublimation which is both sensual and dignified.

"Seine so charakteristische Stimme hat nichts von ihrer Kraft eingebüßt..."
His unmistakable voice has lost nothing of its vigour..."

(Rose-Maria Gropp, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, July 28th, 2008)

"Und er singt weiter, immer weiter, weil das Leben ja auch immer weitergeht, mag die Welt auch schmerzen und die Seele weinen."
And he goes on to sing another song, and another, because life goes on, too, even though the world may be weary and the soul may be crying.

"Leonard Cohen nimmt sich nicht wichtig, er ist es nur einfach."
Leonard Cohen doesn't consider himself important, but that's quite simply what he is.

(Helmut Schümann, Tagesspiegel, October 6th, 2008)

More to come...
tigrib

Post by tigrib »

Hi, this is from BZ (Berlin) October 5, 2008

"... und dann nahm er Berlin
Als Leonard Cohen seinen Song „First we take Manhattan then we take Berlin“ in der O2-World sang, sprangen 15000 Leute von ihren Sitzen
Hans-Werner Marquardt"

"... and then he took Berlin
When Leonard Cohen performed his song „First we take Manhattan then we take Berlin“ in the O2-World 15000 people jumped up from their seats
Hans-Werner Marquardt
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

The Gazette, Montreal, Canada, June 25, 2008

By Bernard Perusse
There was palpable emotion connecting this dapper, utterly charming man...with an audience that would happily have kept him there until the proverbial 4 in the morning...

It would be impossible to count how many times the wildly enthusiastic room erupted in spontaneous cheers over favorite lines...

By Julia Kilpatrick
With a deafening roar, the audience stood and saluted the man who helped Montreal find its soul.
Hallelujah!!!
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Not exactly a one-liner - but brilliant none the less:

"Nu spørger De måske Dem selv, hvordan koncerten egentlig var.

Jamen, den var da forrykt fabelagtig, lille De. Den var som at ræse ned af en bakke på cykel med vinden i ryggen, at tage et svalende brusebad på en steghed dag, at trænge blidt ind i sin elskede, at skænke dagens første kop kaffe og tænde ditto cigaret, at finde en længe søgt bog i en rodekasse på et loppemarked, som duften af indtrækket i en ny bil, som årstiderne, som kærligheden i alle dens former, som køligt vand og varme omslag.

Alt dette og lidt til."

- Klaus Lynggaard, Information (Danish Newspaper), July 7th

The best translation I'm able to make:

" Now you may ask yourself, how was the concert after all.

Well, it was madly fabulous, my friend. It was like racing downhill on a bike with the wind in your back, like taking a cooling shower on a scorching hot day, like gently entering your loved one, like pouring the days' first cup of coffee and lighting the ditto cigaret, like finding a long sought after book in a ragbag on flea market, like the smell of the upholstery in a brand new car, like the seasons, like love in all its forms, like cool water and hot compresses.

All this, and a bit more."
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

"Impeccable Cohen woos Castle crowd"

Headline.

Edinburgh Evening News 17th July 2008
FOXWOOD

Re: We are looking for "On-line praises" of the tour

Post by FOXWOOD »

Not from a newspaper or magazine I'm afraid but from Ged Gray for the BBC radio 6 website. He was reviewing the Manchester Opera House concert on June 18th.

"Quite simply Leonard Cohen’s voice is a force of supernature."

Sorry that this is not what you are looking for. I feel it is a great quote though and thought others may be interested to see it.
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Foxfood, I am sure your quotátion qualifies - after all it comes from a written source (BBC website)!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

Local press (Århus Stiftstidende) wrote after a marvellous concert in Århus, Denmark, July 2008:

På knæ for Cohen --- (translated: On the knees in front of/for Cohen)

It was their only headline - they used the whole frontpage for the article.

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

The Globe and Mail, Canada, Tuesday, May 13th by David Frank

He Was Fredericton's Man
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Cork Examiner Ireland
March 15Th 2008

THE fastest sell-out, this year, of a seated venue yesterday forced promoters to announce a second Dublin concert date for Leonard Cohen.

The 10,000 tickets for the Royal Hospital Kilmainham outdoor gig in June sold out in five minutes yesterday morning.
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
loulou

Post by loulou »

'The audiences have been amazing. His music speaks to the heart. It resonates on a very deep level where people are working to sort out their own emotions. We see people in tears out there.'

Independent, 15 June 2008 quoting Sharon Robinson

Maybe not what you are looking for as it is quoting Sharon, but to me it is the most true and profound description, so I thought I share it :D
desire the horse
depression the cart
citizen

Post by citizen »

"El país", Spain, 20/07/2008:" Leonard Cohen dazzles "fibers"", EFE Press Agency , about his concert at Benicàssim Festival: "The veteran canadian artist returns to Spain after 15 years and the public gives an ovation to him"

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”