Berlin Meetup with band members!

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Paul Zagreb

Berlin Meetup with band members!

Post by Paul Zagreb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

Berlin 4 October 2008

I should not be the first one to post this .. after all, I am quite new to this. But I am awake, online and with a perfect latte machiato in my hand!

Kirk Royal, 3 October

Anyway, it was probably all a dream ... 50 or so great people including most of the band, Sharon Robinson, Hattie and Charley Webb, Roscoe Beck, Bob Metzger, Dino Soldo, Rafael Gayol ... perhaps I missed someone .. and Henning and Jarkko and and .. Amazing atmosphere .. hello I'm .... , how are you? Good food, great craic (as some would say!) ... if it was not a dream - and plenty of people had cameras so there may even be some kind of proof - then thank-you Henning, thank-you all, thanks to Jarkko for the whole thing, and to the band for being as gracious and as wonderful as we always knew you were anyway. The dream continues right .. more events and a concert of some sort tonight!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Anne

Re: Berlin Meetup with band members!

Post by Anne » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:33 pm

That sounds fantastic! I wish I could be with you all. Enjoy yourself!
Habie

Post by Habie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Paul, thanks for posting... So you guys met the band...??? Wow. Wa-haaay. Please tell all. What are they like? Dino, the Sublime Sisters, Roscoe, Sharon...? What did you talk about? Stories, please... as soon as you come back down to Earth... we can't wait. As I write, you're at the concert, with Henning the Fanmeister, Emperor Jarkko, and listening to... lets see, it's 22.30... must be second Encore ... FBR, perhaps? Or Closing Time...? Ach, you tell me. (Stuck here in the London rain, recovering from virus that stopped me collecting my front-row ticket for tonight... it hurts...). But your accounts will bring cheer. xx
Padma

Post by Padma » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:07 am

Fantastic! Henning - well done for organising yet another brilliant weekend. Wish so much that we could have been there to enjoy it with you.
Padma and Harry
stephencharlton

Re: Berlin Meetup with band members!2008

Post by stephencharlton » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:34 pm

Thankyou Henning for the posters.
Sorry i couldnt stay long for the after-show party, early flight this AM, home in UK by 10.30hrs !
Fantastic night at the O2, really enjoyed the whole 24hr 'rolorcoaster ride' ( flight-food-beer-Mr Cohen-beer-sleep-flight).
Looking 4ward to November in London ! :)

manchester 17/06 London 17/07 Berlin 04/10 London 13&14/11
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
basecamp

Post by basecamp » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Thx Henning for making these amazing weekend possible! We've seen a great Cohen concert together with a lot of nice Cohen fans we met in Berlin - and
I never ever had expected to sit next to Sharon Robinson, Roscoe Beck, Rafael Gayol for dinner! It was a great privilege meeting most of the band in person. Thanks you guys!
Cheers!
Hans-Juergen
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Caren

Post by Caren » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Well, what shall I say. I had been looking forward to this weekend for a while but really didn't know what to expect as I had never met anyone before.

This was just amazing. You certainly are a group of of lovely open hearted people. I truly enjoyed getting to know all of you whom I have met and am looking forward to the next event.

And Henning - we cannot possibly thank you enough for all you have done. This certainly was a great, perfectly well organized weekend with lots of amazing surprises. All those goodies you gave us inbetween! Then Daniel Kahn was a discovery indeed and so was the nice restaurant on the first evening. And pursuading the band members to join us for dinner was such a fantastic idea. Henning, you are a star 8)

Thanks to all the band members for coming to that dinner and being such a superb company. This certainly cannot be expected and is highly appreciated.

What a weekend!

Hope to see you all again soon,

Caren
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Heike

Post by Heike » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:45 pm

It is almost impossible for me to describe the magical Berlin experience.

What a great pleasure it was to meet so many of you in person.
I was speechless - literally - when the musicians entered the restaurant. It was great to see how lovely and modest they were and I hope they enjoyed the evening as much as we did.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome to the Cohen community, and a big thanks to Henning for the brilliant organization and generosity :D !

All the best,
Heike
Habie

Post by Habie » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:36 am

All the Berlin people,

Both the concert and the pre-concert dinner with the band sound amazing ... but please, when you guys get your energy back, we'd love to hear more detail.

I've never met band members in my life, especially ones like these... what a thrill it must have been. So if you talked to them it would be really great to hear some more of their views on the tour, the music, whatever... (I assume that if they chose to have dinner with you, they must have been happy to share their stories). I'm logging on every hour - no pressure though!

Thanks in advance,
Habie x :)
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Yes... It was a weekend of all weekends.... Having the band sitting by us as we ate was surreal but beautiful. They were all so gracious. Hattie and Charlie came to my table and we spoke, they are so gentle and beautiful. I asked them could i take their photo and they said of course and would I be in it too. :D I met Roscoe and he was so nice and down to earth.... these people were supporting one of the worlds, if not the worlds greatest artist, and they were so amazing and kind to stay in our company for the night. Sharon was a joy to meet and we hugged and when i managed to get from my second row to the front of stage for encore, she even waved down to me.... I feel so privileged. What can I say about the work Henning did for us ordinary fans? THANKS FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART HENNING.
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes, Bernadine, it was really such an exciting, amazing and entertaining weekend. (Hey, although Henning introduced me to Raphael :-) it was also very nice and not less interesting for me to meet you, your sister and other Cohenites). And you forgot to mention that you didn't hug only the band members but also famous German acters :-). Have a look here:

http://www.mdr.de/brisant/promi-klatsch/3853029.html

Kerstin
tinderella

Post by tinderella » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:14 pm

Hi Kerstin....... Good to hear from you and I hugged so many people I did not know who this guy was lol. Thanks for the link... that is hilarious !
Last edited by tinderella on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:05 am

And as the photograph shows he liked to meet you :-)
chlorgoldia

Post by chlorgoldia » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:17 am

Nice to see you have happily returned... I'm still not quite all that present in real life.
My colleague remarked that Leonard did me very good for I seem so happy and relaxed. Of course I had to tell her that it was not only Leonard but also the the people around him - and here I'm referring both to the band and the Cohenites.
I sometimes still have a hard time concentrating on my work for my thoughts keep wandering back to all these wonderful moments last weekend surprised us with.

Thank you Leonard !

and thanks to every one of you - and especially to our perfect manager of fans, Henning !

Hope to see you again

Claudia
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Here are some pix by Eija
Brother Christoph shot a lot of pictures, Henning will post them on his tea-and-oranges website in the near future.

Frauke, Sharon, Henning

Barbara, Roscoe, Christoph

Jarkko, Charley, Sharon, Marco, Hattie

Kerstin, Rafael, Barbara

Bob and Ute

Picture Time for Dino!

Hattie, Frauke, Charley
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”