CONCERT REPORT: Berlin, October 4

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
tinderella

Re: Berlin October 4 - Leonard took Berlin

Post by tinderella »

HI Margaret and Paula..... yes wish you had all been there.... I do not really have the words to describe it!
Now i have to see if there is any possiblity of getting to UK to see him again.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hi, this picture I took in Berlin from the projection screen.
In his hand you see the item discussed in the Bucharest thread.

Wijbe
DSC01264c.JPG
DSC01264c.JPG (28.7 KiB) Viewed 13622 times
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Yeah, Wijbe, always and everywhere with your camera on time :) Great. Hope to see more ;-)
Laura

Post by Laura »

I didn't want to sound unpatient... but where are more pictures from the famous meetup, too?!!Everyone, get down from the clouds and download them!
Laura

PS: And I see Wijbe is very language-cautious calling that "an item"! ;-)

****I posted now some in the meetup thread viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12447 / Jarkko****
neo

Post by neo »

Review (in german) of the Berlin show:

http://www.zeit.de/2008/42/Cohen
Attachments
Cohen.pdf.zip
(207.28 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
bunndaler

Post by bunndaler »

All your statements are wonderful. I have been in Lörrach, and it was one of the gratest moments in my life. Now I have tickets to see and here LC in Frankfurt and I am so happy. I hope he will sing Avalanche and Famous blue raincoat, we didn´t here in Lörrach. 15 Years I waited and hoped, and now 2 times in 2008. See you in FFM
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hello, hello - I'm back from Berlin and late with a comment. The O2 wasn't that bad at all, the sound was quite good and the two video screens crystal clear. You could see every pore on Leonard's face. There was no standing ovation when Leonard got on stage but later on the Berlin crowd was in really good mood and Leonard obviously enjoyed the huge reaction on songs, especially when first we take Manhatten was performed. The two things I especially remember is that Leonard called Raphael not only the "timekeeper" but also the "Priest Of Precision". The other remarkable discovery for me was on "Bird on the wire". "Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry no more - it was only you ........ that my longing was made for". What a wonderful thing to say, so simple and yet though powerful. I am sorry I don't recall the exact words Leonard used when he referred to the current global financial collapse before he startet singing "Anthem". Maybe someone else will do here occasionally. Several Berlin papers wrote extended concert reviews and all praised the man in black, the womanizer, the Lord of love, the man of these days: "Der Mann der Stunde".
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
neo

Post by neo »

Henning wrote: I am sorry I don't recall the exact words Leonard used when he referred to the current global financial collapse before he startet singing "Anthem". Maybe someone else will do here occasionally.

"Now that the magic realism of the market place seems to dissolve, and we try to locate a more authentic basis for our activity, may I say: "Ring the bells that still can ring ..."
Henning

Post by Henning »

Thanks - Neo !
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Laura

Post by Laura »

Nice report, Henning, thank you! And I was convinced you had planned it al! :o
Laura
Henning

Post by Henning »

Here are more article headlines that I found:

- The man who knows us all (Tagesspiegel)
- The hat fits the man so well in his autumn (Die Welt)
- Til the end of love (Berliner Zeitung)
- Singing for retirement (Berliner Morgenpost)
IT'S DARKER NOW
neo

Post by neo »

Here is the "Zeit" review as it appeared in printed form.
Attachments
Cohen.pdf.zip
(121.75 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Winterlady

Post by Winterlady »

:D Hello ,
I am new here and happy to found a forum about Leonard Cohen.
Have written in another rubric here,
but here it is right1
Saw the Berlin Concert1what shall i say:
can´t find the words---
Amazing amazing amazing !
so wonderful,so as a holy mass!
It moved me so much!
Have never seen him live before.What I say:
must him simply love!I am so happy!
During the concert i hadf everytime the feeling,that i must embrace him all the time!
The magic master of our hearts and minds!
this is only for the beinning here!
in the next days or weeks i will listen in all rubrics in the forum,and hope, i get a little help.

so long!
greetings
winterlady
Leonard Cohen the magic master of song
zehlein

Post by zehlein »

Hi,
I just thought I'd share with you a review from our local newspaper ("Leipziger Volkszeitung") that caught me totally off guard returning home after work on monday after the great Berlin concert. A bit pathetic, but what could explain our feelings better we all shared this evening? :) Sorry for all non-german speakers, I would not even try to translate this...
Es war kein Konzert, es war ein Ereignis. Kein Auftritt, sondern ein Erscheinen. Nach Jahren stieg der große und einzigartige Leonard Cohen aus der selbst gewählten Isolation eines Zen-Klosters herab, um noch einmal leibhaftig für seine Gemeinde das Hohelied der Schwermut auf den Bühnen dieser Welt anzustimmen. Am Samstag tat er das in der ausverkauften Berliner O2-World.
Pünktlich 20 Uhr tänzelte da der hagere 74-Jährige im maßgeschneiderten Anzug mit tief in die Stirn gezogenem Filzhut auf die Bühne. Und das mit einer Vitalität und Freude, die wie ein Versprechen anmutete, welches Cohen und seine fünf Musiker plus drei Background- Sängerinnen in den folgenden drei Stunden geradezu traumwandlerisch erfüllen sollten.
Schon die ersten Takte – der Abend eröffnete angemessen mit „Dance Me To The End Of Love“ – schufen etwas, was man nicht zu hoffen wagte und was Cohens Lieder brauchen, wollen sie wirken: Intimität. Cohen ist ein leiser Verkünder. Ein abgeklärter Romantiker, brummiger Apostel des Weltschmerzes. Seine Lieder sind die gravitätischen Relikte einer mal knurrigen, mal fast apathischen, mal traurigfreundlichen Weltentrücktheit. Wahrlich nicht Zeitgeist, dafür aber Zeitlosigkeit atmend.
Was nicht nur die 40-jährige Songwriter-Karriere des Kanadiers beschreibt, sondern auch die Substanz, aus der diese sich speist. Denn der Sänger war schon immer mehr, als der melancholische Liebesliederkuschelbär. Dass etwa der Name Cohen seit alttestamentarischer Zeit auf die jüdische Priesterkaste verweist (aus der nicht zuletzt bedeutende Propheten hervorgingen), würde der Meister als Prägung weder überbewerten, noch von der Hand weisen. Fakt ist, dass seine Lieder viel erzählen von den alten Überlieferungen, von Erlösungssehnsucht, Gottsuche. Von Schönheit und Wahrheit. Eros und Tod. Drunter macht Leonard Cohen es selten.
Indes: Das Verkünden liegt ihm. Und so tat er es auch in Berlin. Mit Charme, Witz, verdammt viel Charisma und dem Fundus aus 40 Jahren Schaffen. Zynisch-bitter (Everybody Knows), selbstironisch (Ain’t No Cure For Love), pathetisch (Halleluja). Mit Melodien, die sofort ins Herz gehen und Texten, die, mal poetisch verrätselt, mal lakonisch erzählen. Vorgetragen mit einer Stimme, die tief und je nach Bedarf souverän zwischen kratzig aufgeraut und warm schmeichelnd changiert.
Und als wäre Bühnenarbeit der reinste Jungbrunnen, tanzt, lacht und scherzt Cohen dazu. Geht in die Knie vor Javier Mas, wenn der, in sich gekehrt auf seinem Stuhl sitzend, auf Mandoline oder Oud bittersüße Soli zu „Who By Fire“ oder „Gypsi Wife“ spielt. Flirtet mit den Backgroundsängerinnen, zieht respektvoll und ehrlich gerührt den Hut vor einem Publikum, das ihm zu Recht zu Füßen liegt.
Da kehrt andächtige Stille ein, wenn Cohen allein zur Gitarre „Suzanne“ intoniert, während nach der grandios verzweifelten Theatralik von „Take this Waltz“ die Arena bei Standing Ovations erzittert. Um wenig später dann gelöst und ergriffen „So Long, Marianne“ mitzusingen. Cohen quittiert es mit mildem Lächeln.
Das Lächeln eines Mannes, der auch an diesem Abend noch einmal so wundervoll davon erzählte, wie schön und traurig das Leben und die Welt sind, und dass ewig nur die Vergänglichkeit währt. Ein Abschied sei diese Tournee ür ihn, sagt Cohen. Am Ende des Konzerts – „Closing Time“ ist gerade verklungen – winkt er ins Publikum. „God bless you! Good luck!“ wünscht er der Gemeinde. Nur ein „Auf Wiedersehen“ hätte sie noch glücklicher machen können. Steffen Georgi
neo

Post by neo »

lcohen shared the berlin setlist at dime and I'm sure you all will enjoy it too.
Attachments
sberlin.jpg
sberlin.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 11877 times

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”