CONCERT REPORTS: Vienna, September 24 and 25

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
mirka

Re: Vienna, Sept 24 and 25

Post by mirka »

hydriot wrote: Selfish egotists treating a concert hall as if it were a karaoke bar are the very few people in this world that provoke me to violence.
See for yourself how much LC enjoyed the public singing along.
I admit some people aren't born with a golden voice (for example the guy in the 3rd clip), but then LC voice isn't opera quality either :razz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAYCWNhzqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRn8sjvGObk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9imHAIXlHY
Last edited by mirka on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
mr happy

Post by mr happy »

What was the music that was played before the concert(24.). Some sort of flamenco-spanish guitar stuff. Can some post the name of this artist? I really want to buy this.
mirka

Post by mirka »

It could as well be Javier Mass music:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =267591915
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Henning wrote:Maybe he understood "Tame us, you sane throat". I am wondering what else he could have understood.
Oh, I heard someone shout it in Amsterdam, too, and it came across more like "Hamish, you lame goat"...
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

jarkko wrote:***The record company has nothing to do with the filming! Sony is not involved in any way in this tour/ Jarkko***
Whatever. The point is, there will be some kind of official DVD and it will be taken from a number of shows.
scarlettrose

Post by scarlettrose »

richardrj wrote:
jarkko wrote:***The record company has nothing to do with the filming! Sony is not involved in any way in this tour/ Jarkko***
Whatever. The point is, there will be some kind of official DVD and it will be taken from a number of shows.
So there will be definitely a DVD?
I only heard rumours about a live-cd. But since I'm new here in this community, I have not read every topic her.
homo_ludens

glorious Vienna shows

Post by homo_ludens »

Dear all,

I've been reading some of your comments and couldn't any longer keep silent.

I've been to many, many concerts in different countries.
I've been to clubs, small venues, football stadiums, arenas and festivals but I have never experienced anything like the first Vienna show.
I have never experienced such a warm and appreciative welcome for an artist.
There was a 2 minute long standing ovation before LC even sang one note. This was a magical moment . A spirit and energy that I can't decribe.
All who attended felt this and Mr. Cohen felt it too.

IMHO The audience was not "uptight", more like in awe.
And Viennese audience is an (at least self proclaimed) expert audience.
That's not meant in a snobbish way, but (high) culture is really part of everyday life (and state TV for that matter).

25th was magical as well, with slightly different dynamics.
I spoke to some people and read many post re. these concerts and they all mentioned this wonderful appreciative spirit.
Konzerthaus cannot be compared to a stadium concert, it's more of a "Kammerspiel"
mirka

Re: glorious Vienna shows

Post by mirka »

homo_ludens wrote: There was a 2 minute long standing ovation before LC even sang one note. This was a magical moment . A spirit and energy that I can't decribe.
All who attended felt this and Mr. Cohen felt it too.
[...]
That's not meant in a snobbish way, but (high) culture is really part of everyday life (and state TV for that matter).
[...]
Konzerthaus cannot be compared to a stadium concert, it's more of a "Kammerspiel"
OK, I understand the concept of high art, and understand that the local public could take the LC concert as one. What shall I make then of the people who at the encore rushed to the stage and stayed there mute for half an hour, preventing those seated in first rows from seeing anything ? how about the well-to-do gentleman next to paddyproust falling asleep during the performance ?
I'm genuinely curious and trying not to be judgemental.

As for "All who attended felt [spirit and energy] and Mr. Cohen felt it too. " it's no way to tell it really happened this way :!: it's just a personal assumption, as good as mine assumption that most local public preferred to respond "gemutlich" to the show.
golo99

Post by golo99 »

mirka wrote:See for yourself how much LC enjoyed the public singing along.
Thanks for the Youtube links mirka, brought back great memories of Dublin in the rain. Leonard said on two separate occasions that night that he wished he could take that crowd with him to all his other gigs. In a heavily scripted/choreographed show as the LC tour is (hey, we still love the Tower Of Song outro routine even though we know he does it every gig!) that is the only time I have heard him say that, and I must guess he meant it. Parties of women of a certain age standing on chairs singing and swaying along, actually looking like they were having fun, rather than looking like they just want to squeeze every penny/cent from the performer out of what they spent on the ticket (as per most other gigs on the tour), glorious. June 15th in Dublin will stand out head and shoulders as LC's best gig of the year not just for those who were there (many of whom went/are going to half a dozen other dates this year) but, from the sounds of it, from LC and the band itself. Think about it... If you were in a band, what would most make you think your audience were enjoying themselves: (1) A load of people clapping politely whilst watching their jewellery doesn't lose a stone, or (2) People standing on their chairs in the pissing rain and singing "So long Marriiiiaaaaane". I know which I'd prefer.

As for the rest of this thread, sorry to have seemingly opened a can of worms, but it's not a wake we're turning up at, it's a concert. People are saying if you want to sing along, sing along at home. Wrong way round mate. If you want to listen to LC in his purest form, listen to him at home, preferably on headphones. If you want to listen to him somewhere where (depending on the venue) between 1,639 and 39,999 other LC fans are present, expect a bit of noise, huh?

I won't even acknowledge the prissie "I was in the fourth row, I am English and I work for the UN" whinger with a response, other than to say that it was bolshie English speakers in the fourth row causing most of the seat problems throughout the first three (not one) songs. I don't think I ever expressed the slightest interest in the professions/employers of the 'troublemakers' anyway, but thanks for the resume. I am sure they must teach manners at the UN, so it can't have been you that was being an arse anyway.

Homo-Ludens, glad you enjoyed it, but your account - standing ovations etc - is the exact same response Leonard has got everywhere this year, and that will be (if my maths is correct) about 100 gigs in Europe plus 20 in Canada. I felt many of the Konzerthaus crowd were there to be seen to be there, rather than there for a love of Leonard. The same is I'm sure true of some people at every gig, which is maybe why Dublin on June 15th was so glorious. Nothing sorts out the true fans from the poseurs more than a long bout of pissing rain in an open-air seated (ie you can't put up an umbrella) gig! The poseurs went home, us proper fans had a good singalong!

On a final note, regarding the filming, as a TV producer I was aware that the people who stormed the stage for the encores blocked the view of the main mixing desk camera (which was shooting directly up the aisle) anyway, so only the stage right (far left stalls) camera is likely to have got useable footage. Whoever and whatever it was being filmed for, rest assured the encore footage likely won't come from last Wednesday in Vienna!
2008 Dublin June 15th, Manchester June 20th, Vienna Sept 24th, London Nov 17th, Brighton Nov 28th / 2009 Weybridge July 11th / 2010 Malmo Aug 4th, Lille Sept 25th / 2012 Dublin Sept 12th & 14th / 2013 Brighton Aug 28th
nenad

Post by nenad »

Sound quality, cultural differences - well, it all matters to some extent. Though the latter is sometimes difficult to say from prejudices we sadly too often have about each other - I wouldn't love to have to say an evaluative word about Austrians or Australians, Brits or Bulgarians, or anyone else. As a person required by the teacher to only open his mouth in order not to destroy music sung by my classmates, I would have loved if others had sung along in Vienna on Sept 25. They didn't, but they were warm and appreciative, and it seemed to me that the Gentle Man Leonard did sense it. On the balcony, between the songs, I would occasionally exchange glances with very emotional people - many of us, I believe, did come there with our personal LC histories (mine runs 35 years back - a real history!), and for us every moment in Konzerthaus was so beautiful. For some time, decades ago, I somehow had difficulties to understand that there was a real man behind magic spells of music in Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller. And there he was, in 2008, an infinitely kind man of modesty and grace, singing Sisters of Mercy. No trace of routine in his attitude, just a wonderful companionship with, and high respect for, the band. There were enough people who cared, so he did not have to waste words to flatter locals before the song in which their city is mentioned. A big thank you, with love.
jasmina

Post by jasmina »

After London July 17th, I think it can't be better. I must do it again, and so - I was in Vienna September 25th :razz:
This time my 20 year son came with me. After the concert I asked him what he feeling, because I can't be objective - I love Leonard so much 35 years!
My son was highly pleased :lol: with Sharon, The Webb Sisters and all the musicians. He said: all them together and every of them alone was brilliant!
What did he say about Leonard? - his smile and shine in his eyes tell me more than words :lol:

Thank you dear Leonard so much for all this years and this unforgettable concerts!

Your songs will be alive forever :razz:

Jasmina & Ivan

P.S. Please Leonard come in Zagreb, Croatia - 2009!!!!!
tommylen

Post by tommylen »

Ill chip in with my tuppence worth-without getting personally abusive.

"Hydriot" gives an excellent of example of someone spoiling other peoples night out.Jamest makes the same point.

Who wants to sit beside a member of the audience singing over LC? Not me.

Who wants to sit behind people standing up or even standing on their chair- spoiling other peoples enjoyment of the concert?Not me

It happened to me at a recent LC concert and in my opinion it is selfish and inconsiderate to spoil other peoples enjoyment of the show .
We had to tolerate the same people giving everyone in earshot a history of the songs as well as a personal rendition.

Singing along together is a different matter and even I sang "So long Marianne" knowing it was acceptable.
A standing ovation is great and cant be compared to standing on chairs during the concert.

The stewards need to do their job in the interests of the audience in general and not allow a few to spoil other peoples enjoyment.

Its down to having a little insight and respecting one anothers rights.
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

mirka wrote:
hydriot wrote: Selfish egotists treating a concert hall as if it were a karaoke bar are the very few people in this world that provoke me to violence.
See for yourself how much LC enjoyed the public singing along.
I admit some people aren't born with a golden voice (for example the guy in the 3rd clip), but then LC voice isn't opera quality either :razz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAYCWNhzqo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRn8sjvGObk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9imHAIXlHY

Yep he looked just as happy at The Big Chill during the same song when there was a mass sing-a-long - it was an emotional experience for all there :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
prendio2

Post by prendio2 »

Wow.. this has gotten quite heated. I'm going to add my two cents — I think I can actually identify with arguments from both sides.

Regarding singing along, I find there's a kind of hard to define tipping point between it being annoying and wonderful. For example I remember early during the first Dublin concert getting very frustrated at the guy sitting behind me who was singing along alone, anticipating the next lines of the songs, and making loud comments about key changes and the like... but later in the nights, and looking back at youtube videos, moments like the entire audience singing the chorus to So Long Marianne are incredible and create a wonderful sense of community, of celebration and of mutual, dare I say it, adoration.

Then regarding leaving your seats and filling the aisles. Again I found myself irritated the first night in Dublin when people crowded in front of those in the front row (who already actually had fairly limited views due to the weird layout). But, and this is a definitive but for me, later that night and on subsequent nights in Dublin this filling of the aisles was a very exciting development. Everyone eventually found themselves on their feet, swaying, dancing, and cheering and the atmosphere and general mood were electric. On those following nights I continued to enjoy the early stages of the concerts but always anticipated the point when the aisles would fill and the celebration really kicked off.

In Vienna, I will unashamedly say that I was one of those who moved into the aisles and closer to the stage. Everyone was standing in ovation and remained that way for the rest of the show. Yes, if someone in the front rows wanted to sit down their view would then have been hampered but I was delighted that it had become a standing show for the closing half hour, not just because I was now closer with a better view but because I genuinely feel it improves the atmosphere for the closing set.

We can each offer our suppositions on what Leonard does or doesn't like. I do not recall him asking the audience to sit back down, in Dublin or Vienna but I do know that on each occasion that I saw him (Dublin x3, Bruges, Amsterdam, London, Vienna) the shows started in a relaxed fashion and turned into a widespread celebration by the end. For me, one of the wonderful things about experiencing this tour has been the carefully crafted set, which takes the audience on an emotional journey through the many flavours of that elusive magic that is a Leonard Cohen Song. Leonard always seemed, to me, to be enjoying it and I never got the impression he wanted things to go back to how they had been at the start of the show.
zahov

Post by zahov »

Vienna, 25th - the concert was amazing!!! I've been to Amsterdam and Bucharest - both in every extent great concerts, but Vienna was completely different experience. First, it is not an open air concert and that makes a big difference. Second, the audience was participating, but in different way - people were trying to listen to every note coming from the scene and were keeping silence not to disturb it. This is part of the typical Viennese classical-concert culture. There is no any reason to complain. Great Leonard, great vocals, great band, grerat songs, great people, great atmosphere, great Kozerthaus, great city of Vienna - the result - great, great, great event. Nothing less!
Amsterdam Jul 12th, Bucarest Sep 21st, Vienna Sep 25th, London O2 Nov 13th

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”