Glasgow - where to stay?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
elljay

Glasgow - where to stay?

Post by elljay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:12 pm

I know this may be a bit early to discuss this but........can anyone recommend a good but relatively cheap place to stay overnight in Glasgow? I'm from just outside Edinburgh and don't know Glasgow at all - would I be better to stay centrally near the train station and travel to the SECC or to stay near the venue and travel to and from the transport links? I genuinely have no idea so looking for some advice.

I'm overjoyed by these concerts - I had to miss out on Edinburgh Castle because of a family holiday - though I did manage to get to a Manchester concert so can't complain! It will be absolutely fantastic to see him again, regardless of price, and I was very lucky to get front stalls, row K for 06/11/08.
Paul Trotter

Re: Glasgow - where to stay?

Post by Paul Trotter » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Travelodge on hill street is always a good bet,£39 if you book in advance,you could walk to venue in 30 mins,or glasgow taxis used to be cheaper than Edinburgh.Check Trish's link to the crowne plaza below,direct link to venue but more expensive at £105.
elljay

Post by elljay » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks for that - a Travelodge sounds fine. Bizarrely, I felt more confident making the arrangements for travelling to and staying overnight in Manchester than I do for Glasgow which is only an hour away!! I chose the Britannia Hotel because it was near the train station for my 7.45am train and walked to and from the venue with no qualms.
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:26 am

There are lots of cheap places to stay in Glasgow. There is an Ibis and a Novotel, as well as Travelodge and Premier Inn and Holiday Inn Express, etc. There are also (for a British city) quite a few B&Bs in the West End and between the West End and the City Centre. Try Garnethill, or areas along the Great Western Road. Public transport in Glasgow is good. Taxis are not expensive, in UK terms. Certainly, nothing like as expensive as Edinburgh. There are also some very good top end hotels, for those with the pockets. If anyone wants any more specific help re anything Glasgow related, PM me.
tonyc

Post by tonyc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:19 pm

The Belhaven Hotel in the city's West End is a good place to stay. It's just off Great Western Rd. Nice area and a short journey over to the gig.

http://www.belhavenhotel.com/
elljay

Post by elljay » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:29 pm

Thank you to both posters - it's always good to get recommendations!
commonweal

Post by commonweal » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Another option - relatively cheap I think - is a hotel less than 400 yards from the Clyde Auditorium, called City Inn. It's right on the River. Can't vouch for its quality, but it's a good location. Well, it's a good location for the venue. There's no decent pub nearby, but then there's no decent pub anywhere near the venue.
Mirren

Post by Mirren » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Lots of good places to stay. Just check tripadvisor. Don't be scared, us Glaswegians won't bite - just watch out for the 'wee malkies'!
tonyc

Post by tonyc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:48 pm

commonweal wrote:Another option - relatively cheap I think - is a hotel less than 400 yards from the Clyde Auditorium, called City Inn. It's right on the River. Can't vouch for its quality, but it's a good location. Well, it's a good location for the venue. There's no decent pub nearby, but then there's no decent pub anywhere near the venue.
The Ben Nevis up on Argyle Street is a good wee pub. City Inn is right next to the Auditorium but if you're planning to see anything of Glasgow on your trip then you'll be a bit isolated staying down there.
elljay

Post by elljay » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:47 pm

commonweal wrote:Another option - relatively cheap I think - is a hotel less than 400 yards from the Clyde Auditorium, called City Inn. It's right on the River. Can't vouch for its quality, but it's a good location. Well, it's a good location for the venue. There's no decent pub nearby, but then there's no decent pub anywhere near the venue.

I'm in a state of shock!!! I've just booked a room at the City Inn for 06/11/08 for.............£5! I've been looking on and off for a cheap room for the night and stumbled across this on booking.com. It's a double room but with single occupancy and has a guaranteed river view........can't believe my luck. There are 4 rooms left apparently so still worth a try!
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:41 pm

£5 ?!?!?!?! Are you sure that's correct? We often put people in this hotel as it's just across from work, but we do pay considerably more.
elljay

Post by elljay » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 pm

osmachar wrote:£5 ?!?!?!?! Are you sure that's correct? We often put people in this hotel as it's just across from work, but we do pay considerably more.

It sounds unbelievable I know, I keep on checking the booking.com website to see if it changes but the rate is there - £5!!!!!!! Now, if it is a mistake on someone's part, will I still get the room for that price come the night?????
Paul Trotter

Post by Paul Trotter » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 pm

when i go on to booking.com it's saying cheapest is £89,what way did you do it?thanks paul
osmachar

Post by osmachar » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Maybe call the hotel and double check firstly if they've got your booking and secondly if that's the rate.

It might well be correct, I'm just very weary of offers that sound too good to be true.
elljay

Post by elljay » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Paul Trotter wrote:when i go on to booking.com it's saying cheapest is £89,what way did you do it?thanks paul

Have just checked and the £5 rate is gone - maybe all the rooms have been sold or it was an error on the website. Honest, I'm not a fantasist!!!
osmachar wrote:Maybe call the hotel and double check firstly if they've got your booking and secondly if that's the rate.

It might well be correct, I'm just very weary of offers that sound too good to be true.

I'll definitely double-check with the hotel - don't want to turn up and be told it's nearly a hundred quid!

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”