Cardiff Wales 8 November - tickets

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
kwills

Re: Cardiff Wales 8 November

Postby kwills » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:31 pm

altinkum wrote:I only found out this morning about the Cardiff gig, I couldn't believe it. Iv'e managed to get 2 tickets, the only thing is I don't think the seats are that good, block 4 seats 7 & 8. It's a side view, still seeing as I had given up all hope of seeing him this time round i'm still elated. It was the first time that I used ticketmaster it was sheer hell and like linmag Iv'e paid for the privilege of printing my own, also when I went to print them out I discovered that my printer and Pc have fallen out big time they just refuse to talk to one another. Thank God for my neighbour we managed to print them on his pc. Now excuse me while I go back to gazing at my tickets :D

Wendy
If you look in the getmein site it will show you a photogragh of the inside of the arena.I was lucky to get tickets on the LC forum.Block 1,row G,seats 1&2.Thanks to Jarkko and management.
Enjoy gazing at your tickets,
Kwills
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 pm

daveeliver wrote:Hi,
Tempting myself with the thought of good Cardiff tickets,I have just noticed that Wales are playing South Africa (rugby union)on the same date.(8th.November).
Accommodation should be booked in plenty of time!
Thats the real problem - I've got tickets for the international too! What is a boy to do?
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:00 am

This will be another great meet-up!!

The CIA is not the best venue in Cardiff, a functional building rather than a theatre, but obviously chosen for its size in being able to accommodate more people, and if you have a reasonable seat it really won't matter. I have seen a few concerts there, mostly standing (where the ground floor seats are removed) but one seated recently (Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss) and it is fine.

Just remembered that I also once had a "bad" seat, right up the top on the side balcony for Mark Knopfler, and acoustics were totally fine there too, good volume, clear (although the view of course is skewed, but not much obscured).

John the Shorts, does the rugby not finish before Leonard will be onstage?
kwills

Postby kwills » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm

The prices of the hotels in Cardiff have jumped up a lot due to the rugby match between Wales and S.Africa,which I confess I'm going to see too!They do this every time,but the prices have really inflated due to us Welsh winning the grandslam!Anyway, if you're looking for a place to stay that isn't too dear,try Newport,which is about 30mts away by train I think,or try some guests houses by Cathedral rd in Cardiff itself.The train station is very near to the venue so it is very convenient .
Hope this has been helpful to anyone,
Kwills.
Last edited by kwills on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 pm

You will have a full day, Kwills!

Regarding accommodation: Bridgend where I live is 20 minutes on the train from Cardiff (opposite direction from Newport). I just checked and the only hotel within walking distance of the train station here is already fully booked for the 8th Nov. It has 75 rooms and they are all booked! But there are a couple of guest houses close to the station too. Maybe they are also booked up but PM me if you want any suggestions.
Lorelei

Postby Lorelei » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm really lucky my sister lives in Caerphilly so I'll be staying with her the weekend. I did ask her if she'd like to come to see Leonard with me, but she said no. Well she likes Tom Jones, The Bee Gees and Neil Diamond....

Reading that there's Wales - South Africa rugby on the same day makes me wonder what the carparks will be like. I had intended to drive in from Caerphilly and park near the International Arena. Any ideas as to the best place to park. Any other suggestions about getting to and from the arena would be welcome.

Thanks
Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Lorelei, your sister is not beyond hope. I like some Neil Diamond very much. Tom Jones is a concern, though. In the late 80's I lived in Poole and worked briefly as an usherette evenings at the BIC in Bournemouth (where Leonard will be playing) to earn an extra couple of bob. The only good show I saw in my time there was Santana. Tom Jones was on one evening. Not quite my cup of tea. But I understand that Red Poppy from here is a huge fan.

Anyway I was hoping someone else would answer your parking query as I take a train into the centre of Cardiff if I need to go there. The good news is that if you follow the signs for the city centre you will come across P signs directing you to one of three multi-strorey NCP carparks, where you will find a spot even on the busiest day *. These carparks are all minutes from the CIA, one is right next to it. The bad news is they are very expensive, and when there is an event on and many people leaving at the same time, they can take a long time to get out of (and I am talking an hour or more). If you don't mind a walk, best for you coming into the city from Caerphilly would be to find a spot in the Law Courts/ City Hall area on your way in, and walk for 15 or so mins from there.

See you there.

* Since I wrote this post a couple of people have told me that is not necessarily so on days when the rugby is on, and that they close off parts of the city centre to traffic. I think Rob has already gone to Ledbury, but when I see him there on Sunday I will request that he come into back this thread as parking correspondent.

I just checked and it takes 20 mins on the train from Caerphilly, last train back leaves Cardiff 23.15 (on a Saturday at the moment, November's timetable not online yet).
efc

Postby efc » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:00 pm

John the Shorts, as Diane mentions, you can do both - the rugby KO is 14.30.

Rob
altinkum

Postby altinkum » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm

I will be staying overnight and found it difficult to get reasonable hotel rooms, one quoted £200 a night!! another was £136 a night but you had to stay for min of 2. We finally found a guesthouse about a mile away for £75 and we booked 2 weeks ago, its probably harder now.
BTW Kwills thanks for the info I will go check it out.

Wendy
Jonnie Falafel

Postby Jonnie Falafel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 pm

The answer is not to stay in Cardiff. I have stayed in Bath for gigs at Cardiff Arena & used trains back to Bath from Cardiff afterwards....
Lorelei

Postby Lorelei » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Thank you very much Diane for suggestions about parking. It seems to me the thing to do is not to park in the city centre on that day.

My sister works just out of the city centre and in March last year we went to see Bryan Ferry (of whom I'm a huge fan) at St David's Hall. We parked at or very close to her office and walked in from there, it wasn't too far. And I think St David's Hall is around the same area as the International Arena. Also I remember it was the same day that Wales beat England in the Six Nations rugby, so the city centre was full of rugby fans. Although I can't remember if the match was played in Cardiff or Twickenham. I'll have to speak really nicely to sis to see if I can park there in November.

Jonnie
The train sounds a good idea, although if the last train is around 23.15 as Diane suggests it might be I'd hate to have to leave before the end of the concert.
John the Shorts

Postby John the Shorts » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:24 am

Diane wrote:This will be another great meet-up!!

The CIA is not the best venue in Cardiff, a functional building rather than a theatre, but obviously chosen for its size in being able to accommodate more people, and if you have a reasonable seat it really won't matter. I have seen a few concerts there, mostly standing (where the ground floor seats are removed) but one seated recently (Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss) and it is fine.

Just remembered that I also once had a "bad" seat, right up the top on the side balcony for Mark Knopfler, and acoustics were totally fine there too, good volume, clear (although the view of course is skewed, but not much obscured).

John the Shorts, does the rugby not finish before Leonard will be onstage?
Diane

Rugby does finish before concert starts but my main problem is I'm going to the rugby with a few friends and there are traditions that need to be maintained :lol: so I'm not sure what state I'll be in - problem will also be the trains which will be an absolute nightmare to and from Cardiff - still trying to think my way through this but my brain hurts
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:44 am

With your sister's parking spot, Lorelei, you have no problem! I don't mind a bit of Bryan Ferry. I enjoyed his album of Dylan covers.

Well John you gotta do what you gotta do. Please rest your aching brain a while. The trains won't be a nightmare. The last train back to Bridgend at the moment on a Saturday is 23.06. Leonard is on at 19.30. I imagine he'll finish at 22.30. That leaves over half an hour to get out and get to the station. Even amongst volumes of people that should be dim problem o gwbyl. I have been to gigs at the Millenium Stadium and always managed to get a train home OK.

Rob (we now have two Robs - Rob Rob as opposed to efc Rob) is going to think of a pub least likely to be bulging with people on an International day, and post a pre-gig meet-up venue on here closer to the time.
miacomet

Postby miacomet » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Can some-one help my head??? Just bought tickets to travel to Leonard in Cardiff when we heard that Dublin in December has been cancelled! Haven,t a clue as to what is the best way to get from the west of Ireland to Cardiff is or where to get accomodation???? Mad I know, but saw him in Dublin and Lucca - just love the man and have to see him again!!!!!!
Help!
miacomet
Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi. You can get flights to Cardiff I believe from Shannon, Galway, Cork (don't think there are daily flights from Shannon though). You can get a shuttle bus from Cardiff airport to the train station and on to Cardiff city centre. Accommodation may be difficult to book and expensive as there is a Rugby International on at the same time as the concert.

Try this website for accommodation: http://www.visitcardiff.com/

If you have no luck with accommodation in Cardiff, try maybe staying in Swansea or Newport or Bristol, as you can get a direct train to these places after the concert, and the CIA is easy walking distance from the rail station.

Rail information: http://www.thetrainline.co.uk

Understand your need to see him again! Best of luck.

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”