An imporant massege to dear Leonard

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Yoav_Kedar

An imporant massege to dear Leonard

Post by Yoav_Kedar »

Hallo Mr. Cohen !
i don't know if you are the one who read this masseges from this blog, or what ever the names of this places are.
but i do know you will be missed this summer in Israel.
last time you were here it was during a war, and it inspired you to write one of your famos songs.
i hope that what inspired you wasn't the greef, or the pain of war. i know that many days have passed since those bad bad times of Israel, and i also knows that people have not forgaten you.
this days Israel is in a batter status alsmost in any point of view. it's true that we hade several hard and sad times allong the wey but this is our home, and a home can't any other place.

i'm sorrey if i'm loading on you this memmories after all this time, but i feel deep in my heart the need to ask you to come here to Israel if you can, people are meessing you here and would like to see and hear you ones again.
i realey hope tha you will get this request of mine, and come and onnore us with your presence ones again.

hope to see you soon, in Israel,
Yoav Kedar.
Inna

Re: An imporant massege to dear Leonard

Post by Inna »

Dear Mr. Cohen

I would like to join this request and ask you to reconsider. We love you here in Israel very much. And miss you enormously.

Sincerely Yours,

Inna.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

There is really no point in writing messages like these. In the first place, only Jarkko knows for sure but I think it is very unlikely that Cohen reads this forum. And even if he does, the decisions on where to play are ultimately made by big management companies, taking into account lots of factors (money, travelling time, availability of venues, etc etc). A message like this will simply have no impact on these decisions.

We all want Cohen to play near us but at the end of the day there is nothing any one of us can do to influence where and when he plays. We just have to hope and if necessary make travel plans to see him in the nearest place to where we live. He can't play everywhere.

Finally, the message may be "important" to you but it may not be to the other people reading this...
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

richardrj wrote:There is really no point in writing messages like these. In the first place, only Jarkko knows for sure but I think it is very unlikely that Cohen reads this forum. And even if he does, the decisions on where to play are ultimately made by big management companies, taking into account lots of factors (money, travelling time, availability of venues, etc etc). A message like this will simply have no impact on these decisions.

We all want Cohen to play near us but at the end of the day there is nothing any one of us can do to influence where and when he plays. We just have to hope and if necessary make travel plans to see him in the nearest place to where we live. He can't play everywhere.

Finally, the message may be "important" to you but it may not be to the other people reading this...

I found the original message, if it was a real one, very touching. You, dear richardj, just suppose that LC doesn't read anything from this forum, but you're not sure, are you? It's intersting how distanced you see LC in the process of undertaking a tour. You say that commercial aspects have the greatest impact on the schedule, but are you sure an artist doesn't care about about fans in "poor" countries of whom you obviously think that it won't make financial sense to play there? One sold out show (10.000 people)somewhere could make possible a show in a land where less people could come to see an artist.
Anyway, it was important for Yoav_Kedar to write this message and I agree to him/her. I personally found the mentioned things important, you did not, but hey, that's the world, thank you for letting us know your opinion as well... and here is mine:
I wish all the Cohen fans in Israel and everywhere else that they'll get an opurtunity to share the experience of an LC concert, like we have in Euorpe this Summer and Fall.!
Paula

Post by Paula »

I would have thought it was just as important for LC to play in Israel as it is for Israelis to see him.

Money is not everything, some things are closer to the heart. I hope you get to see him play in Israel.

Yoav I nearly volunteered to give Leonard an important massage there :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

In another thread we were reading that it was the local promoter in Israel who did not want to take any risks -- he said in a local newspaper that Leonard's concerts are not selling well (in Europe). That's an understatement of the year, isn't it!!! Without a local promoter there will be no concert, and now it is probably too late to change it
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

Understatement? That would mean they are selling even worse than suggested. I guess you mean the opposite. I had the impression they were selling out.

I guess he might like to do Israel and he probably has more fans there per capita than he has in most places.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I would love to see Leonard play in Israel; perhaps, by the Fall or the 2009 tour, the local promoters will have seen the error of their ways and have changed their mind.

The best of luck to all of Israel. Nearer to the heart is right.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

LC went to Israel at the time of the Yom Kipper war (1973) to volunteer to FIGHT...instead he was convinced to entertain the troops.

The point is he validated Israel not as a venue but because of the emotional tug of his being Jewish.

I think its fair to say that these emotional tugs increase with age.

Logistics may become secondary if his heart is open to this connection
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
Inna

Post by Inna »

I wish you were right dear leonardmtl. I wish logistics were a secondary issue for LC.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
storydance

Post by storydance »

According to the Israeli press, LC's visit to Israel was cancelled because his manager could not find sponsors for a concert in an enormous football stadium. I would like Leonard to know that the idea was ridiculous to begin with--his concerts require a smaller venue--e.g., a concert hall, the Caeserea amphitheatre, a public park in Tel Aviv or Jerusale--to allow for that hypnotic connection that he makes with his audiences. A smaller venue means less financial risk, and I'm sure sponsors could be found. LC has many devoted fans here. In fact, a local singer is currently conducting a successful "Tribute to Leonard Cohen" concert in Hebrew. Please, please get these messages to him and his European manager.

Leonard, we are waiting for you!

- Storydance
rhona

Post by rhona »

richardrj wrote:There is really no point in writing messages like these. In the first place, only Jarkko knows for sure but I think it is very unlikely that Cohen reads this forum. And even if he does, the decisions on where to play are ultimately made by big management companies, taking into account lots of factors (money, travelling time, availability of venues, etc etc). A message like this will simply have no impact on these decisions.

I thought the first two messages were touching and thoughtful. I'm stunned that someone posted such a mean response. I'm sorry and hope you know that contrary to what the poster above says, it is important to other people here.
Oh bless the continuous stutter of the word being made into flesh

2008 Manchester Opera House
2008 Clyde Auditorium/SECC Glasgow
2012 Wembley Arena
2013 London O2
2013 Birmingham LG arena
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Amen!
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”