Poland is still waiting... patiently

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
margaret

Re: Poland is still waiting... patiently

Post by margaret »

After the wonderful Manchester Opera House and suffering the cold and rain outdoors at Dublin and Edinburgh,( plus a sore neck sitting sideways trying to see anybody on the actual stage :( ) I am not interested in any further outdoor concerts in UK or Europe, and also not happy with these big sports stadiums.

If no better venues come up I will savour the memories I have and not be attending any more :(

Sorry Leonard,

Margaret
Dublin 15th June, Manchester 18th June, Edinburgh 16th July
Cardiff 8th. November, Manchester 30th. November Liverpool 14th July 2009 Barcelona 21st September 2009, Las Vegas 11th December 2010
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Off topic, but unfortunately, potentially, on topic:
The UK is in dire financial straits right now with myself and others worse off by the week with rising prices and no extra wages to compensate.
Exactly the same here, Margaret. Plus, already told there will be no cost-of-living raises and NO bonuses, of which there have been two, annual ones since I've been here. Dire, indeed. I'm going to be checking fares to Poland soon. I hope they settle on their 2010 Event dates ASAP for lead time in booking cheaper fares.

With regard to Leonard's [hopefully] concerts in the U.S., that's going to be my only hope of seeing him, again.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mirka

Post by mirka »

margaret wrote: If no better venues come up I will savour the memories I have and not be attending any more :(

Sorry Leonard,

Margaret
Same here, after having seen two small venue indoor concerts and one 12k arena I have to say those are VERY different experiences.
Maybe there are people who are into singing along in the rain with crowds, I'm not one of them.

I don't like the way this tour is managed, apart from chosing huge souless arenas over smaller more intimate venues, tickets showing up before the offcial announcements, there were instances in the past when the mediocre tickets were sold first (to the most enthusiasic fans) with best tickets released at the last moment (Dublin June 15 for example).
I logged into the Manchester Opera box office 5 minutes before the start of the sale, only to find last rows offered as the 'best choice'.
Also Atlantic Canada shows were announced only after Montreal and Toronto were mostly sold.

While those tricks work for a while, sooner or later they become obvious to the public.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
scorp

Post by scorp »

Good luck, Poland!
mirka

Post by mirka »

Tom Sakic wrote: PS. I didn't see Sala... I must say it's quite contrary to the outside look of the palace itself :lol: Nevertheles, I think it's very expensive venue, I guess that show in Torwar will be cheaper than if it were in Palace of the Culture.
Most rock/pop concerts in Warsaw nowadays take place in this venue, but Kongresowa is special also because of its history: it was built in 1955, and before the fall of communism all communist party conventions were held there.
I think it's much more appropriate location for Leonard Cohen concert than a public skating ring !
kongresowa2.jpg
kongresowa2.jpg (55.21 KiB) Viewed 2827 times
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
martali

Post by martali »

Hi Mirka :)
but Kongresowa is special also because of its history: it was built in 1955, and before the fall of communism all communist party conventions were held there.
I think it's much more appropriate location for Leonard Cohen concert than a public skating ring !
Particularly because Leonard played in “Sala Kongresowa” his memorable great concert in March 1985.

He said then:

“It was very nice of the Russians to build this hall for me. My mother came from Russia, she spoke very highly of those people. It is a beautiful hall. And I thank your authorities for allowing me to play here. I wish we had a hall like this where I come from. I would throw a huge party here. I would invited everyone. Maybe I'd just live here alone by myself. I need a lot of space”

and latter, after the 1st set:

“we'll go back to our dressing room, and we're going to drink a lot of red wine, then we're going to come back and play a lot more songs. Does everybody understand that? I must say it's a very beautiful dressing room. I wish you could all come there. I haven't been in such a beautiful room since my bar mitzvah. Thank you very much for extending to me the hospitality of this institution”

Nowadays, there was a lot of discussions what to do with the Palace of Culture and Science – the communistic heritage in the heart of our capital Warsaw. Many votes for destroying it but it has been finally saved ............. maybe especially waiting for Leonard Cohen to play here once again

Anyway, for me it would be the utmost desired experience to see Him live again, regardless of the not very much adequate place.

btw
As far as the Wroclaw “Hala Orbita” is concerned – there was a great concert of Diana Krall in March this year during “Jazz nad Odra” Festival.

greetings to all of you
Marta
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Hello! I am enclosing three cords to articles on Polish websites. They announced officially, that Leonard Cohen is coming to Poland. Apart from that this message was announced at Polish Television. I am pleased with everyone with fans in Poland!.
It is for everyone which know a Polish... I am greeting.
http://www.zw.com.pl/artykul/270547.html
http://warszawa.dlastudenta.pl/muzyka/? ... r&id=23988
http://www.cgm.pl/aktualnosci/wyswietl. ... S=30822731
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
mirka

Post by mirka »

Hi Marta, Jeremek, Tom, and everybody !

Look like there is still hope for the location of the Warsaw concert, one of the links quoted by Jeremek says that Kongresowa is still considered one of the potential locations.
Let's keep the fingers crossed....
qbera6

Post by qbera6 »

I'm so excited about this news!!!!! i'm Polish but living in Dublin -went to see Leonard in Dublin, Manchester and Edinburgh but would love to see him live in Poland too- i'm off to book my flights :D Torwar wouldnt be my favourite venue...would much better prefer Sala Kongresowa (in the Palace of Culture in Warszaw)
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

HI FRIENDS !

It so happens that I also prefer Kongresowa. He results from the last article, that each of us who can be at a concert only once in Poland, will have the "raised pressure". Read. At first they will be selling tickets for Torwar. If all tickets will be sold, only a virtuoso performance will be announced in Kongresowa. Most probably. This way it is possible to guess from the plot. Hmm...that is only for people about "strong nerves" (hahaha).
And so seriously - it is a loss, that Poland is afraid for the presence at the concert. A bit I am ashamed of this safeguard. As the Polish people.

http://muzyka.onet.pl/0,1792568,newsy.html
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Jarrko, where you are ?
On the list one can already see Poland. He doesn't have the address for buying tickets.
And on this side tickets are already selling !

http://www.worldticketshop.com/concerts ... 1Qod-kupRA

They are escaping for us from in front of the nose. Why we are supposed to pay in a foreign currency. And postages are big.

OF HELP ! I am greeting Jarrko
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Out of nervousness I wrote your name badly. Forgive me!

With the respect Jarkko !

Jeremek
Jeremy

Poland is still waiting... patiently

Post by Jeremy »

Jeremek - these are the same people Tom Sakic warned us about in April:

The prospective concert in Nyon was never confirmed nor listed on the schedule we have posted!! The sellers in UK are those touts/scalpers who are selling tickets they don't have. Never buy any tickets from this kind of crooked sellers!

The prices these touts are charging are amazing - more than twice the face value of most UK tickets and I don't think these are good people to buy from....
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

I thank for the calming message, Jeremy !

j.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Don't panic guys - the tickets for Poland are not yet on sale!!
And do NOT buy from scalper websites (they sell tickets that have not yet been issued, at much higher prices - 2 x face value or so - and then they hope to buy from official seller when the tickets go on sale!!)
The official seller will be one of your local big ticket sellers!
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”