The Leonard Cohen Event 2010 will be in Krakow, Poland

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

The Leonard Cohen Event 2010 will be in Krakow, Poland

Postby jarkko » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, Cohenites of the world, friends,

On behalf of Polish Cohen fans I’d like to announce our candidacy for the 2010 Cohen Event in Kraków, Poland.

We have the will and the team ready to accomplish the demanding task. Here’s our organizing committee:
- Justyna Galant
- Małgorzata Leonowicz
- Marzena Brynkus
- Jakub Kasperkiewicz
- Kazimierz Sak
- and myself, Sebastian Korta
Mirek Dworniczak, Paweł Górny, Paweł Orkisz and many others have also volunteered to help.

We do realize there exists no direct connection between Leonard and Kraków. He has probably never been here, though, who knows, maybe till 2010 a lot will have changed. However, there are several reasons why are proposing Kraków as the next European Cohen Event site:

1. we have the team ready to organize it

2. Leonard is very popular, respected and well-liked in Poland, as he himself once declared: "I discovered that Poland was probably my largest audience in the world.” – we’ll try to prove that to you.

3. Kraków is a beautiful, historic city with a wide range of cultural and tourist activities. It’s one of the European Capitals of Culture as well as one of the first sites to appear on the UNESCO world heritage sites list. This is where the Jagiellonian University is. It is also the city of two of the Polish Nobel Prize winners: Czesław Miłosz and Wisława Szymborska. Kraków has a lot to offer before, during and after the Cohen Event and it’s worth a visit even by those Cohenites furthest from the heart of Europe.

4. Kazimierz is one of the most important centres Jewish Cultural Heritage. An annual Jewish Culture Festival takes place here attracting visitors from Kraków, Poland, and all over the world. We would like to offer you the precious moments of shared singing of Leonard’s songs in the exceptional atmosphere of this old Jewish quarter.

We are counting on your support, help, ideas and feedback. We’ll be happy to answer all the questions.

With the best of wishes of Happy Christmas, Happy Hanukah and Happy New Year,

Sebastian Korta

Dear Sebastian & the team

Thanks for posting the announcement about the 2010 Event today on the Xmas Eve; it's like a Christmas present to all of us.

There in just one word I'd like to correct in your message. You used the word "candidacy" - however, a better word of would be "nomination".

During the past months serious discussions have been going on about several cities. It became clear that your team in Krakow has the best readiness and ability to organize the next Event in 2010. There are other European candidates like London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Venice etc. but their turn will come, if we will continue with the Event tradition also in the future.

Poland is a very special country for Leonard - fans in Poland (and Norway) have been most loyal during the years, and Leonard has been some kind of cult figure in the country. And still is - I witnessed it in Warsaw this year!

We know that Leonard's concert in Warsaw in 1985 was more than just a concert - many Poles took it as a political manifestation (read http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/warsaw85.html).

Leonard's songs are very well known in Poland - also thanks to Maciej Zembaty’s translations and his countless albums and live concerts of Leonard's songs. Recently Pawel Orkisz released a 2CD tribute album in Krakow; I’m happy to see his name listed in the team.

Finally, probably the very first festival dedicated to Cohen took place in Krakow.
The book “Prophet of the heart” by Dorman & Rawlins has something about the festival, we have to check what exactly; however they mention incorrectly that it is an annual happening. Two, three years ago there was another Cohen celebration and concert at a local cultural festival.
Now we will go back to the roots!

The Event in Krakow also gives foreign participants chance to see some important places near the city. The museum of the Auschwitz concentration camp is an important monument of human madness at its very worst. I also recommend a visit to the Wieliczka salt mine with its underground world where everything is made of salt.

Cracow has also excellent communications by air, train, or road from most European countries - and it's a wonderful city!

I am happy and proud to announce officially that the 2010 Leonard Cohen Event will be in Krakow.
margaret

Re: The Leonard Cohen Event 2010 will be in Krakow, Poland

Postby margaret » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:24 am

Fantastic news :razz: :razz: :razz:
Congratulations to the team.

Margaret
Paula

Postby Paula » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:40 am

I have always wanted to visit Poland now I have an excuse. Many thanks to the Polish team for taking on the hard work entailed in this.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:50 am

It was just moments before I read this that my niece was telling me of how much she enjoyed Christmas Eve in Poland. It seems that it is usually such a big holiday there and now this year even more so. I am sure that 2010 will be a wonderful time for all.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:48 pm

I have longed to return there. There is SO much to see that any amount of time seems too limited. Now, it has all been so seamlessly facilitated. Thank you, Poland Team and Jarkko 8) !!! Thanks, too, Jarkko for all of the additional information regarding Leonard's connection to Poland. It's there, it's bright, and it's bold 8) .

Surely, Xenia will find a way to attend < wink >.

Love,
Lizzy

Edited to spell out emoticon.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Page 349 of Prophet of the Heart:
In "alienated" Poland there was even an annual Leonard Cohen Festival at Krakow which Leonard came upon by accident, and much to his surprise, discovering in that lovely, if scarred, land not only traces his own ancestry, but also a high involvement with "seriousness" the things of the heart as his songs were translated into Polish. Great-grandfather Lazarus Cohen and grandfather Klinitsky-Klein would have been delighted - another wheel turned full circle; yet more connections!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:14 pm

This has become even more wonderful than I thought... YaY to Poland and to Leonard. Assemble your gathering with love and pride. Any help that I can be, I'll be virtually and literally there.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Postby dick » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:03 pm

Congratulations Sebastian and Team

Very much look forward to seeing you, Pawel, Justyna, Jacub, and others again in the FANTASTIC city of Krakow.

Happy Holidays and great timing for your announcement!

Dick
Padma

Postby Padma » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:30 am

Fabulous news! We hope to join you!
Padma and Harry
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:54 pm

This is very exciting! Thank you so much for agreeing to organize this event. We will certainly attend if at all possible.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Sheila

Postby Sheila » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 pm

This is great news. Thanks and congratulations to all involved on the team. Looking forward to it already!
liverpoolken

Postby liverpoolken » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:41 am

Sheila
I hope you are keeping back enough enthusiasm for our meet up in Dublin next week.

I’m hoping to have our meet up entered into the Guinness Book of records as the smallest ever recorded Leonard Cohen International Meet Up.

Where else but Dublin to set up a record for the Guinness Book Of Records?

Even if Helen turns up after one of the Christy Moore concerts I reckon that we will still be in the reckoning for the record.

I’ve checked with the rules and as far as I can ascertain all we need is that at least one member (on this occasion me) of the Forum crosses through passport control then we have an international meet up.

Don’t forget Christy promised me in Manchester that he would do his best to give us Little Musgrave on either the 5th. or 6th.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
swisschris

Postby swisschris » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:04 pm

Congratulation to the Polish organization team!
That's really something to look forward to as I won't be able to go to Edmonton next year.
I have wanted to travel to Krakow for a long time as I have heard that it is such a beautiful city but somehow never got to do it. It will be my first ever visit to Poland and I now have 2 years to learn at least a bit of Polish.

Happy New Year to you and all the other Cohen fans,
lots of greetings from Switzerland,

Christoph

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
Mirek

Postby Mirek » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:57 pm

swisschris wrote:It will be my first ever visit to Poland and I now have 2 years to learn at least a bit of Polish.

Christoph
Let's start right away, then...
Lesson #1 - the name of the city Krakow in Polish is pronounced "crackoov".

More lessons to follow

Mirek
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:34 am

My very early morning of this New Year's Day begins with responses to several threads in the Forum. All responses have given me immediate satisfaction, but this one in here comes under the heading of 'deferred gratification,' and the knowledge that, there might be enough of us locally to hire our own plane to get from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to Krakow Airport ( and back ) 8) Failing that, 'easyjet' will have our money as soon as possible. 8)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.

Return to “News”