HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!!!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!!!

Post by jarkko »

Time to start this thread - it's for our members' birthday greetings to Leonard for his 73rd birthday on September 21.
You may also include attachments directly from your computer, thanks to this new software!
Tony

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD!

Post by Tony »

May I be one of the first to congratulate Mr Cohen on his birthday. As he is shortly coming to the United Kingdom he may be interested in this website http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEONARD 'THE LEN' COHEN.

And many, many, many more. :D to come

See you in Ireland for you next tour Leonard. :wink:

Eric.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
KjeXXXer

Post by KjeXXXer »

On the 21st, huh?
I must paint him something.

EDIT:

Dear Mr. Cohen.
Due to an unfortunate work schedule, I was unable to complete the painting. I could have it ready for Christmas, though! :)

Your music, your texts and you as a person, are all very potent inspirations to me. The first song I ever connected with was First We Take Manhattan. I can remember how my mother would put on the I'm your Man-record and I would sit in front of the stereo, playing with my Transformers Action figures and just be alive with bliss.

In addition to your music, I listen to a great variety of heavy metal, the list of bands to great to quote here. But your wonderfully delicate and honest music holds its own against all those bands.

I hope that you have the most excellent birthday. I also hope that you might one day play a show in Norway, because I would be there on front row, howling with excitement.
And if at that gig you could play Jazz Police, it would be great, not just for my own enjoyment, but to annoy all the old geezers! :D

My gift to you, in lieu of said painting, is this:

You never Liked to get the lettuce that I sent.
But now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
You're eating them again, the ones you didn't churn.
You pressed it to your lips, my lettuce of concern.

There you have it. I'll get the painting finished for it to be your Christmas gift or something.
Take care, and happy birthday.
Axel
Last edited by KjeXXXer on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
Now you've got the gist of what my lettuce meant.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Hola dear Leonard

Happy birthday Leonard!
Happy birthday Leonard!
mar.jpg (1.45 KiB) Viewed 9858 times
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I KnowYour Face,
IKnow your smile,
Your words ive just began,

your women,and your violin
your struggle with zion,
your Holliness,your sacred text,
your spirits and your Dreams.

I met you in the kisses,
on my little winnng Streak,
But times moves on,to
Sisters of the Heart

Composing humble poetry
For love ,for nothing else.
Pressing buttons of uncertanty
For Peace,Just like Yourself,

When Carrying our big
Piona, up the hill of lite,
you missed Me cause
Was Going Down.At night.

I was Going Down, a pipe,
On some Sweet Peace of Ass,
When you sang the kisses
Was Coming Down,With Hash.

Was coming Down with ash.

Happy Birthday Leonard,
and I hope one day I Will see You Live before the end of Smiles.

Regards jimbo
Last edited by jimbo on Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
love is not forgotten......
Boss

Post by Boss »

Mazel tov, ani mekave shenipagesh yom ehad

Peace mate,
Adam
'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer' - Albert Camus
glida

Post by glida »

Dear Leonard,

Happy birthday!

And thanks for your inspiration, the shape of which has shifted during my longings of youth, trials of parenthood, struggle for meaning, grappling with God (or G-D), evisceration on the quest for intimacy, quest for authenticity, and the perpetual walk down every highway that disappeared only to reappear like an Escher print.

Many, many more!!!

Fred
"When two people relate to each other authentically and humanly, God is the electricity that surges between them.”

- Martin Buber
gingermop

Post by gingermop »

Dear Leonard -

At 73... please play in places until you ache.

I hope our paths cross again.

You were splendid company.

With warmest regards,

Gina
(young lass who interviewed you in Richard's Gallery)
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Your birthday dear Leonard is something to celebrate indeed. Having recently re-listened to the 2006 interview with Shelagh Rogers, I was struck with the fact that even at 72, you had not closed your mind to possibilities. I have always loved that your words rhyme and hearing your explanation for it made such wonderful sense. Submitting ourselves to some kind of discipline, some kind of structure, some kind of culture or some kind of respect isn't easy. You show us how great the rewards can be. Seventy three and still blessing us with your songs, poetry and art. We are so fortunate .
Sebby

Post by Sebby »

Your words have touched me tremendously over the years. I wish you the very best birthday you could imagine, and then some. Shine on, my man...
There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.

Wandering Mind
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

I don't whether it's been mentioned before but 21 September, Leonard's birthday, is also The International Day of Peace.

In 1981 the United Nations General Assembly passed resolution 36/67 declaring an International Day of Peace. In 2001, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a new resolution 55/282 declaring 21 September of each year as the International Day of Peace.

The resolution: "Declares that the International Day of Peace shall henceforth be observed as a day of global ceasefire and non-violence, an invitation to all nations and people to honour a cessation of hostilities for the duration of the Day...

“Invites all Member States, organizations of the United Nations system, and non-governmental organizations and individuals to commemorate, in an appropriate manner, the International Day of Peace, including through education and public awareness, and to cooperate with the United Nations in the establishment of the global ceasefire.”

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Manna

Post by Manna »

Dear Leonard,

Congratulations on your completion of another trip around our Little Old Bright Eye. Still here, still kicking. Right on. I’m glad that we get to take a few of these cosmic peregrinations simultaneously.

This forum has become a part of my life, and I thank the universe for conspiring for the sake of your existence. Those who assemble here under your name are a colorful, motley bunch. I've learned much here, and if you weren’t around, it is unlikely that I would have encountered these fine companions.

And I thank you for working and writing these things that keep me thinking and increase my comfort or discomfort as the case may be. I think you’re good for me, plus rather fun.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Cohen, and many more.

Affectionately,
Manna
Mariacd

Post by Mariacd »

Dear Leonard Cohen

I hope that you’re having a lot of happiness today (and everyday) and I give you my best wishes in this special day.

Also, I give you the sincerest gratitude I have for the music that you let me listen.

Maybe I’m one of your youngest fans, but my age not is a disadvantage for appreciate, value, admire and love you. However, my “short” age is a problem for share your music and my opinion about her with another people, because my friends like another kind of music….so, in some way, I’m alone in my appreciation for you, but this fact don’t worry me, I can enjoy with your songs alone. You and your music become the sound of my private life, of my solitude in my room.

I wish to see you in one of your concerts; this is a dream for me. If you come to Spain, you must be sure that I will be seated in one of the chairs in front of you, I’ll be listening the greatest voice I know.

Thank you very much and happy birthday.

Always Yours
Maria

P.D.: I know that my English isn’t very good. Sorry, I’m trying to improve it, and your lyrics are a nice way to do that. If you understand that I admire you, I’ll be happy, that is enough.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today - J.Dean
"When it knew more, it more wished to know " - O.Wilde
Gerrida

Post by Gerrida »

Dear Mr Cohen,

Your music and your poetry fill my heart and my life. I thank you for that.

May you have a very happy day with your family and your loved ones.

I wish you good health, peace, joy and many years to come.

All the best,

Gerrida

Return to “News”