Sad news about a Forum friend

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Sad news about a Forum friend

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi there folk

Concerning our booklet in honour of Paul, I am now pleased to be able to share with you all the touching response I got today from Kay Galvin, as follows:
Dear Andrew and other contributors,

I received the Book a few days ago and I really don't know what to say to you all. I am truly overwhelmed at your expressions of sympathy and the regard in which you held him.
To me he was the husband that I had lived with for 33 years and I guess you become a bit blase about a person's character and personality after so long. His sense of humour was an outstanding part of him that got him through many a situation good and bad.
As time goes on you do tend to remember only the good times and we can now look back and feel a sense of peace and happiness at what he meant to us all.
I know that you have all been an absolute Godsend to Paul in the last few years since he became a part of your little community, I was an outsider but felt I shared in a small way through him, the highs and lows as he would read me any especially entertaining or moving posts.
I can only thank you all from the bottom of my heart for what you have done for him ,over the last years, and in Andrew putting together this wonderful Memorial Book. Damian and I, and Paul's 86 year old mother, will read your comments and feel lightened in heart that he had friends like you all to share his last years with.
I went and saw "I'm Your Man" when it showed at a local film festival, and realised how familiar all the music was to me and how much I enjoyed it, so I will continue to lurk on your Forum and at some stage I would like to get to your "Weekend" in Toowomba, Andrew, as Paul always aspired to.

My heartfelt thanks to you all, especially to Leonard Cohen, who produced the works to bring you all together, and who sent Paul a gift a couple of months before he died, which moved him beyond words.
Kay Galvin.
Jarkko, I'm sure Paul or Kay would have conveyed their appreciation for the gift directly to Leonard, but if you think it appropriate, you could share this last sentence of Kay's reiterated gratitude with him.

Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Andrew ~

Kay's heartfelt response is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you, again, too, for all of the energy you put into this. The things Kay has said make it even more worthwhile. I'm so glad to hear that Paul was able to enjoy a gift directly from Leonard, which will now remain a valued treasure of his family's.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
smile

Post by smile »

May you find inner strength and peace from reading the messages here. I think i can say that we all feel like a family here.

Peace
Life is love so treasure every day.........
tonys

Post by tonys »

did leonard cohen send him a gift or the people on the forum send a gift? it's a shame he didn't live to see/hear the remasters of leonard cohen's work...with at least 1 bonus track on each of the remasters as well :cry:

Return to “News”